Error 53: How much of a concern is this, from a buyer's standpoint?

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Error 53: How much of a concern is this? From a Buyer's standpoint

So, as the web is heating up with news of Error 53 on iPhone, I find myself in a little bit of a turmoil. Let me explain:

Last night I found myself guiding my sister-in-law towards purchasing her next phone, which we concluded to be the iPhone 6S Plus. I myself currently own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phone and decided on a switch to the iPhone 6S Plus as well. We're supposed to head out to the market in the next few hours to grab these phones, but the news of E53 has brought hesitation in the decision.

I intend to buy the iPhone 6S Plus 64 GB from an authorized dealer of Apple here in Karachi, that provides official warranty etc. etc. So I'm not much worried about this and don't intend to be using 3rd party repair-shops for any repairs that might be needed, if any, ever.

However, my sister-in-law is looking to get an iPhone 6S Plus 16 or 64 GB but in used from the open market here in Karachi. Though the price difference is not too much, but it is enough to make a difference. It's approx. $100-150 cheaper if you go the market and look for used iPhones from resellers (non-authorized), which puts this under her budget.

I've purchased used phones in the past for myself as well as with others, and I'm very careful to make sure nothing suspicious stands out about the phone, like it should come with its box and accessories, no suspicious marks or dents on the phone, etc. And most importantly, I look up the IMEI on various sites to make sure it is not reported stolen. (For example, I needed to buy a phone for my wife and saw a HTC One M9 in perfect condition, but upon research, found it's IMEI blocked in Australia by Telstra indicating it to be stolen... so didn't buy it. {Me moving to the iPhone will allow her to get her hands on the S6 Edge which she loves}).

But with the E53 error... How can we make sure that the phone is not repaired or wouldn't suffer with this issue? Is it just a matter of checking that the phone is on the latest iteration of iOS and check for updates against Apple's servers? Is there an Apple site that provides history for iPhones? And how can we verify, if possible, that a phone isn't repaired or it's TouchID isn't tampered with?

Most importantly, what is the outcome for E53... Does it really brick your iPhone making it a useless chunk of metal and glass? Or does it only disable Touch ID and related features?

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Error 53: How much of a concern is this? From a Buyer's standpoint

The only way to avoid this is to purchase from a reputable Apple reseller or buy directly from Apple.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

The only way to avoid this is to purchase from a reputable Apple reseller or buy directly from Apple.

So basically this means iPhone resale isn't much of an option let alone buying anything that's not authorized refurbished?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

So basically this means iPhone resale isn't much of an option let alone buying anything that's not authorized refurbished?

Probably not. I personally would not risk that much money but that's just me. Your circumstances may be different.

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge than myself can offer a better alternative or a better answer for you. Someone should chime in soon.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Ahhh!!! Ended up persuading my sister-in-law to go for the 64 GB from the authorised reseller instead of the open market. And yeah, got one for myself too as planned! At the end, when you're spending this much dough on something, you better be sure you're covered! :)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Good to hear... so happy for the two of you and your new iPhones!!

I hope you will continue to post here and get to know our community. We have some very nice people here. :)

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! I've actually been a silent reader of Mobile Nations for a while now, and somewhat active on the Windows Forums (not counting contest entries :p)... I've gone through various Android, iOS, and Windows Phones in the past and one Blackberry device and somehow the most I've posted in the forums has been in relation to Windows Phone on Windows Central. I did have another account that I used before by another name on Mobile Nations, but somehow i transitioned to this new one that I'm not sure when or why I created...

Looking forward to interacting with people in the iMore forums!

Regards.
Salman Khalid.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

In general, buying direct from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller is the best bet. You can save a buck or two upfront but in the end of something goes south then you are out $$$

Glad you are no longer silent . Welcome to posting.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Much ado about nothing. This issue is blown out of proportion.

Error 53 is quite a concern from all the research I have done into the issue. This error will basically render your iPhone useless if it shows up on your phone. There is no fix for it. The only fix so far is replacing your iPhone.

The problem is related to the smartphone’s home button, which contains a Touch ID thumbprint reader that can be used to unlock the device rather than inputting a four-digit security code. If the phone is damaged and a non-Apple repairer replaces the button, a subsequent update of the operating system detects a non-standard component and shuts down the device. There is no known way of bringing it back to life.

In countries where an Authorized Apple repair center or Apple Store is not readily available, this becomes more of an issue.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Error 53 is quite a concern from all the research I have done into the issue. This error will basically render your iPhone useless if it shows up on your phone. There is no fix for it. The only fix so far is replacing your iPhone.

The problem is related to the smartphone’s home button, which contains a Touch ID thumbprint reader that can be used to unlock the device rather than inputting a four-digit security code. If the phone is damaged and a non-Apple repairer replaces the button, a subsequent update of the operating system detects a non-standard component and shuts down the device. There is no known way of bringing it back to life.

In countries where an Authorized Apple repair center or Apple Store is not readily available, this becomes more of an issue.
Quite a concern would only be appropriate if this was a widespread issue affecting tens of thousands of devices. It certainly does not appear to be even close to such a scale, and considering how many devices Apple sells, to those few that are affected by this, I bet that even within that pool the number of users that legitimately did not have access to an Apple authorized repair center is minuscule. A bit of a case of percent of a percent.

I'm not saying that the issue wouldn't be a huge headache and a problem if it happens, just that the risk of it happening is minimal.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Quite a concern would only be appropriate if this was a widespread issue affecting tens of thousands of devices. It certainly does not appear to be even close to such a scale, and considering how many devices Apple sells, to those few that are affected by this, I bet that even within that pool the number of users that legitimately did not have access to an Apple authorized repair center is minuscule. A bit of a case of percent of a percent.

I'm not saying that the issue wouldn't be a huge headache and a problem if it happens, just that the risk of it happening is minimal.

That's true. But regardless of everything... I think it's best to get from an authorised store and be safe rather than sorry at a later time. Both of us are happy with our purchases!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

those few that are affected by this

The fact that we helped msalmank to prevent it from happening to him and his sister-in-law, regardless of how little the chance of it happening were, makes all the difference to me.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm 80 miles from the closest Apple Store. It's doable, but I'd rather not. It's a shame Apple can't put more stores in areas that don't have one. There's only 2 stores in the state of Alabama.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

The fact that we helped msalmank to prevent it from happening to him and his sister-in-law, regardless of how little the chance of it happening were, makes all the difference to me.

Lol! I had to give emphasis on the peace of mind it'd be to know that you've purchased your phone from an authorized store and can attest to it being genuine. After all, there is no guarantee to that what you're purchasing from the open market isn't refurbished or pre-used and re-sealed, etc.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm 80 miles from the closest Apple Store. It's doable, but I'd rather not. It's a shame Apple can't put more stores in areas that don't have one. There's only 2 stores in the state of Alabama.

I thought you had authorized sellers around the state as well? Honestly, purchasing from an authorized seller only became an option in Pakistan a year ago as before then, iPhone wasn't officially launched in Pakistan.

Shahzad Ghani One

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

So, as the web is heating up with news of Error 53 on iPhone, I find myself in a little bit of a turmoil. Let me explain:

Last night I found myself guiding my sister-in-law towards purchasing her next phone, which we concluded to be the iPhone 6S Plus. I myself currently own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phone and decided on a switch to the iPhone 6S Plus as well. We're supposed to head out to the market in the next few hours to grab these phones, but the news of E53 has brought hesitation in the decision.

I intend to buy the iPhone 6S Plus 64 GB from an authorized dealer of Apple here in Karachi, that provides official warranty etc. etc. So I'm not much worried about this and don't intend to be using 3rd party repair-shops for any repairs that might be needed, if any, ever.

However, my sister-in-law is looking to get an iPhone 6S Plus 16 or 64 GB but in used from the open market here in Karachi. Though the price difference is not too much, but it is enough to make a difference. It's approx. $100-150 cheaper if you go the market and look for used iPhones from resellers (non-authorized), which puts this under her budget.

I've purchased used phones in the past for myself as well as with others, and I'm very careful to make sure nothing suspicious stands out about the phone, like it should come with its box and accessories, no suspicious marks or dents on the phone, etc. And most importantly, I look up the IMEI on various sites to make sure it is not reported stolen. (For example, I needed to buy a phone for my wife and saw a HTC One M9 in perfect condition, but upon research, found it's IMEI blocked in Australia by Telstra indicating it to be stolen... so didn't buy it. {Me moving to the iPhone will allow her to get her hands on the S6 Edge which she loves}).

But with the E53 error... How can we make sure that the phone is not repaired or wouldn't suffer with this issue? Is it just a matter of checking that the phone is on the latest iteration of iOS and check for updates against Apple's servers? Is there an Apple site that provides history for iPhones? And how can we verify, if possible, that a phone isn't repaired or it's TouchID isn't tampered with?

Most importantly, what is the outcome for E53... Does it really brick your iPhone making it a useless chunk of metal and glass? Or does it only disable Touch ID and related features?

... hy bro good to see some one from pak.. i am wondering who are the authorized apple retailers here in pakistan?

i have almost every iphone and currently owning iphone 6 plus and macbook air...was thinking to get iphone 6s plus..but this error 53 thing driving me nuts ....cuz if u break iphone screen or touch id goes bad on u, u have no option but to send to apple store oversea ...and pay nearly 25 to 30 k pkr to get repair.. but glad u took the courage and bought iphone 6s plus.. good to see some one from pak...keep posting.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I thought you had authorized sellers around the state as well? Honestly, purchasing from an authorized seller only became an option in Pakistan a year ago as before then, iPhone wasn't officially launched in Pakistan.

There's Verizon and the carriers. And WallMart and etc. But none of those can put in a new battery, among other things. I would need to go 80 miles just to have a battery put in? Lol. There's a lot only can be done at the Apple Store.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

There's Verizon and the carriers. And WallMart and etc. But none of those can put in a new battery, among other things. I would need to go 80 miles just to have a battery put in? Lol. There's a lot only can be done at the Apple Store.

Makes sense and I can understand. In our case, I believe units are sent to the Apple Store in UAE from Pakistan as there isn't any Apple Store here!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Makes sense and I can understand. In our case, I believe units are sent to the Apple Store in UAE from Pakistan as there isn't any Apple Store here!
I don't think the Carriers work on iPhones. There's a repair shop here that does. But then we get back to "error 53". I guess I should be lucky there's an Apple Store within driving distance.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox