Engadget IPhone does not allow third party apps!

hannip

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
Typical of any new "cool" device. Everyone freaks out how great it is in the beginning, then the truth starts trickling out. I'm sure this is just the beginning.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I'm not too sure about that. If you can install/download Widgets, that's exactly what 3rd party apps are--Widgets. I imagine that 3rd party developers will make Widgets for the iPhone.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Third party software for what? I've found that the majority of third party software and hacks I have used were to clear up shi_ that should have been done by Palm to begin with!

Merlyn_3D

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
Um...Apple as always known that it's 3rd party developers are the ones who write software consumers love, open source/free or otherwise. I highly doubt you'd be locked out of adding 3rd party apps to the iPHone.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
It runs embedded OSX so there will be 3rd party apps don't you worry. No 3G is a disappointment, but it has Bluetooth 2.0 and 803.11g, so who cares!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
3rd party apps....phooey....i bet you this time they'll be referred to as "i-phone programs" that work as they're intended to, and with the intended device.

it's a new dawn

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
a good, thought through phone does not need 3rd party apps.

I don't agree with that at all, but I have yet to see any official word that 3rd party apps won't be made. Even if Apple has decided to keep the platform closed for the time being, they always have the option of opening it up in the future.

Being able to connect to VPNs and Exchange servers, and being able to read Office documents are going to be essential for this phone, one way or the other. Whether Apple writes these items themselves, partners with Microsoft or someone else to write them, or opens up the development to any company who wants to have at it?one of those three things is going to happen eventually.

ion++

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
i hope for some 3.party application to replace the SMS program, because i think they waste screen space with their bubbles in the "chat view".

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
'Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed.'

Hardly an official announcement and not the most illuminating of articles. If he's such a pal why not ask him how he knows this? Inside info or a dodgy conclusion based on there being no 3rd party app icons on the home screen?

If it's true though I find myself agreeing with surur :eek:

Call me when the TomTom widget, and reference work widget, and office widget comes along.

Of note:

Mini OS X
The question on the minds of many developers now that this new stripped down version of OS X will be made available is... can I develop applications for it? So far, the answer has been "no comment" from Apple. However, an interesting note is that the iPhone's display is extremely high-resolution (160 ppi). At WWDC 2006, Apple told developers to begin making their applications "resolution independent," a fact that may come to bear should Apple decide to distribute a software development kit.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109230510.shtml

hannip

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
i hope for some 3.party application to replace the SMS program, because i think they waste screen space with their bubbles in the "chat view".

I agree with you there. That sms app is the worst thing about what I saw in the demo. Very toyish looking and wasted space. I'll take the palm sms app over that any day.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I agree with you there. That sms app is the worst thing about what I saw in the demo. Very toyish looking and wasted space. I'll take the palm sms app over that any day.

It might be good for constant SMSers. If you can carry on 3 differrent conversations, that's pretty cool!

blee4

Aug 15, 2005
Visit site
The iPod did not have 3rd party accessories from day one and I doubt very many of you had a first gen iPod. I myself only had a 2nd gen iPod, but I'm sure Apple Inc. =P will put all the lessons learned from every generation of the iPod into the iPhone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
'Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed.'
How could he say this when there have been no announcements made. Lets wait and see what the situation is after Apple explains to us why they are enabling users to sync Widgets online with the upcoming Leopard OS and explain to us what these mystery issues are with the recently released beta of Apple's new widget development application called Dashcode.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR