Elon Musk rumored to fire 50% of Twitter staff as pressure mounts for those who remain

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When folks dislike you, they use harsh words like “fire”, but if they like you they use softer words like “downsize”…. ;)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
When folks dislike you, they use harsh words like “fire”, but if they like you they use softer words like “downsize”…. ;)

The result is the same ! the question is, do those people “ shown the gate” like you enough to ever work for you again ?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The result is the same ! the question is, do those people “ shown the gate” like you enough to ever work for you again ?

True, but one is designed to evoke anger whereas the other is designed to be more accepting.

With that being said, there will always be people who move on to something else and sometimes with ease. On the other hand, I’m sure there are some who are freaking out about it because they’re living paycheck to paycheck.

They would probably be willing to work for the company again simply out of necessity.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
True, but one is designed to evoke anger whereas the other is designed to be more accepting.

With that being said, there will always be people who move on to something else and sometimes with ease. On the other hand, I’m sure there are some who are freaking out about it because they’re living paycheck to paycheck.

They would probably be willing to work for the company again simply out of necessity.

I think I agree that some will/would go back.
They lose bargaining power and self respect by doing so. I loathe the idea.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I agree that some will/would go back.
They lose bargaining power and self respect by doing so. I loathe the idea.

When you’re desperate, self-respect goes out the window, and the goal is to be employed as quickly as possible so you can put food on the table, roof over the head and clothes on the back.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Twitter almost certainly was headcount heavy but “layoffs” always hits a sensitive spot for me -specifically for those individual contributors lower down the org chart. I’ve been through it and am about to again. It’s often a poignantly difficult time for many of this group. The annual income almost certainly takes a hit and that can be difficult for the individual as well as their family (plus the potential medical insurance policy change, that can be extra tough).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Usually when one is fired, they don't get 60 days of severance. Not sure Musk used the term "Fire". I think that comes from the reporters and writers looking for a sensational headline.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Usually when one is fired, they don't get 60 days of severance. Not sure Musk used the term "Fire". I think that comes from the reporters and writers looking for a sensational headline.

No doubt. The article mentioned “fire” and that’s what I was referring to. It was written with disdain for Musk, in my opinion. I don’t have a problem with the disdain and was just pointing out how trigger words are used when someone is disliked in comparison to someone that is liked.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

The WARN Act comes into play in this situation due to the quantity of employees fired/laid off/let go. The 60 days severance is an attempt (probably a successful one) to avoid WARN Act penalties.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, both are the same! What Elon is doing is bad, firing 50% of employees without prior information or notice period!

In no way am I defending Musk. In no way am I saying that mass firings isn’t bad. I was referring to the use of trigger words associated with people that are disliked.

Since you stated , “What Elon Is doing is bad, during 50% of employees without prior information or notice period!”, I will respond to that statement.

It is not uncommon for people to get dismissed, fired, let go, pushed out or whatever term you want to use when a company changes ownership, and I’d like to think Twitter employees were aware that Musk was purchasing the company, and there were internal discussions about what might occur when the purchase was complete.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No doubt. The article mentioned “fire” and that’s what I was referring to. It was written with disdain for Musk, in my opinion. I don’t have a problem with the disdain and was just pointing out how trigger words are used when someone is disliked in comparison to someone that is liked.

I sensed the disdain as well. My heart goes out to those who are now without a job. That said, I have an issue with writers' persona opinions coloring their articles. I'm looking for facts, and not an "op-ed".

scott Lashville

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
It is not uncommon for people to get dismissed, fired, let go, pushed out or whatever term you want to use when a company changes ownership, and I’d like to think Twitter employees were aware that Musk was purchasing the company, and there were internal discussions about what might occur when the purchase was complete.

What you're saying is true but the employees were following the orders of the head of the department or something so firing them could be reasonable!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It's sad for them right now. But I'm not at all worried, they will find better and more gratifying jobs :)

Not in this economy.

Facebook just fired 11% of their workforce, and other companies are following suit not to mention the hiring freezing in place in most tech companies.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Not in this economy.

Facebook just fired 11% of their workforce, and other companies are following suit not to mention the hiring freezing in place in most tech companies.

That’s why I’m saying “Sad for now”.

Also, I don’t expect tech companies will rehire as many people as they did. Many of them grew dramatically since 2020, and as things came back to a relative normal, you need to adjust for it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR