ElCap Public Beta GM now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Reiser

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: ElCap Public Beta 3 now available

Did you give the Mac App Store app time to check for an available update? When I opened the Mac App Store app, it checked for an update and alerted me to dev beta 3.

Yes, several times (wait 5 or more minutes, punch the Updates button, wait for the spinning gear to go away and report "No Updates available"), including after rebooting the Mac.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, several times (wait 5 or more minutes, punch the Updates button, wait for the spinning gear to go away and report "No Updates available"), including after rebooting the Mac.

Unless Apple pulled the beta or you've unknowingly updated, I honestly don't know what to tell you. Check the build number of the version you currently have installed.

SS.png

Dave Reiser

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

Unless Apple pulled the beta or you've unknowingly updated, I honestly don't know what to tell you. Check the build number of the version you currently have installed.

I'm guessing that Apple has not pulled the beta, since I found what looked like an authentic link to the update outside the App Store. I hadn't had my system booted from 10.11 (or even had the external drive on which it resides connected to the mac) from before PB3 was released until this afternoon. It's very unlikely to have been updated in that first boot after the PB3 release without the App Store even being open.

My About This Mac window now reports that 15A234d is installed. I'm not expecting further betas to work since I've circumvented the store. But we're getting close enough to release that I won't have long to wait.

Working from an external drive is aggravating (slow) enough that I don't spend too much time in ElCap anyway. I'm mostly making sure that the apps I use the most will work, and most of them do. If sourceforge would get their cvs service back up, I could try some other items of interest to me.

Dave

reversalagent

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: ElCap Public Beta 4 now available

Can you upgrade from say PB2 --> PB4, while skipping over PB3? I have yet to download PB3, but yet do not see the update for 4 yet and not sure how the OS X betas work.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

If you've enrolled your Mac in the Public Beta, open the Mac AppStore - it will show you what's available... as far as I know - you should be able to jump from beta 2 to beta 4 as the download is around 1.4GB for beta 4 - I think that's the full OS and not a delta file.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Can you upgrade from say PB2 --> PB4, while skipping over PB3? I have yet to download PB3, but yet do not see the update for 4 yet and not sure how the OS X betas work.

I went from PB2>4 today. I did have to download and install 3 first. Basically I installed 3, loaded up the App Store again and 4 was there for download. It didn't let me bypass 3 altogether, but it wasn't too time consuming.

reversalagent

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

If you've enrolled your Mac in the Public Beta, open the Mac AppStore - it will show you what's available... as far as I know - you should be able to jump from beta 2 to beta 4 as the download is around 1.4GB for beta 4 - I think that's the full OS and not a delta file.

I went from PB2>4 today. I did have to download and install 3 first. Basically I installed 3, loaded up the App Store again and 4 was there for download. It didn't let me bypass 3 altogether, but it wasn't too time consuming.
Thanks for the info. I wondered it they were just delta changes or complete images of the OS. Even after waiting a day, the App Store still shows PB3.

Pop2U

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

I performed the update for beta 4 but it does not show up as having been done in the Mac AppStore like beta 2 & 3 do. I don't know any way to verify that its actually been done.

Logylogy

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Pretty annoying problem really and it's a bit hard to give Apple a pass on it. It's sort of a core element.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I checked and there's no public beta 4 release on this end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.