Editing iMore comments--what happened to the EDIT button?!

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering: is there a statute of limitations on editing one's posts in the iMore comment section of the news pages? I cannot edit a comment from a few days ago, but the one I just posted still has the edit option.

Thanks!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello! The edit option does in fact time out at some point. I'm not sure of the exact time frame but editing a comment from a day or more ago is not an option.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You don't want someone to be able to go back days later (possibly after significant discussion) and materially change (or possibly delete) their post. It skews the reading of the thread.

If posters have additional information to add at a later date, they should just add a post to the thread.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You don't want someone to be able to go back days later (possibly after significant discussion) and materially change (or possibly delete) their post. It skews the reading of the thread.

If posters have additional information to add at a later date, they should just add a post to the thread.

Ummm why not, where's the fun in that? I could go back to all my old post and put some very fun stuff in there. ;-)

You nailed it why there is a rule and it's a good rule.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree that the rule is a good one. A person should control what they post forever. If you realize you've made a mistake, then you could correct it, and people wouldn't have to scroll down to see another post with your correction.

Does this rule apply to iMore staff when they post a comment?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Once you post to a public forum, you don't "control" the post. If you want to "control what [you] post forever", then perhaps a personal blog or website is the correct avenue for that.

Editing a post long after the conversation has continued modifies the meaning of thread. If it happens to be a thread that you started, you can always ask a moderator to close the thread.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Once you post to a public forum, you don't "control" the post. If you want to "control what [you] post forever", then perhaps a personal blog or website is the correct avenue for that.

Editing a post long after the conversation has continued modifies the meaning of thread. If it happens to be a thread that you started, you can always ask a moderator to close the thread.

Suggesting a personal website/blog is rather condescending--yes, I'm aware they exist and of that option.

I doubt changing one post in the comments of the main articles section (not a "thread" in the forums) would change the meaning of that comment section--a very different animal--and, of course, you can't ask a moderator to close the comments (nor would I ever consider that just because I wanted to change one little post).

And what of the iMore staff: are they bound by the same rule?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh course the mods can close and change posts. They're there to moderate.

No to be a jerk but you're posting on a site owned by Mobile Nations so they in the end control what stays and what goes.

Every website I have ever been on Has been this way.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, again, that's obvious: I'm asking something very specific rather than just the ability to control "what stays and goes" in general, i.e., I was wondering if it was considered OK to change/alter what they had written in a comment after the statute of limitations had expired. n other words, if you can assume readers' posts have not been altered after that time period, can you also assume that of the staff? Just wondering....

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Blog comment posts get date/time stamped when posted/modified... So one could notice a time/date stamp that is significantly out of sequence...

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Blog comment posts get date/time stamped when posted/modified... So one could notice a time/date stamp that is significantly out of sequence...

Finally, an answer without condescension; thank you, kch50428, that was helpful, I hadn't thought of that!