EDGE only option on iPhone 5S?

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Since I don't have 4G LTE yet in my area, I would always want to save some battery life by going 2G(EDGE) only. Is that option still available or replaced with 3G only now

Note: I never touched an iPhone 5, the last iPhone I had was a 4S. So I don't know how the OS and Settings changed after adding LTE.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You only have the option to turn off cellular altogether and enable LTE.

I was sure Apple removed that feature :/ being on HSPA+ will drain my battery so fast. I didn't get my 5S yet waiting for Apple.com to wake up and ship it but I hope the battery life is better than my old 4S.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Since I don't have 4G LTE yet in my area, I would always want to save some battery life by going 2G(EDGE) only. Is that option still available or replaced with 3G only now

Note: I never touched an iPhone 5, the last iPhone I had was a 4S. So I don't know how the OS and Settings changed after adding LTE.

With the current wireless modem that is in the 5S, you will find that it gets excellent battery life on HSPA+ , there is no longer a need to switch to edge. Much like the improvements with LTE modems, I turn off LTE if I need to conserve battery, but usually make it through a whole day (no wifi at work) while on LTE.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
With the current wireless modem that is in the 5S, you will find that it gets excellent battery life on HSPA+ , there is no longer a need to switch to edge. Much like the improvements with LTE modems, I turn off LTE if I need to conserve battery, but usually make it through a whole day (no wifi at work) while on LTE.

I hope thats the case. But Apple website says 8 GB over 3G(HSPA+) and 10 (or 11 can't remember) over LTE. All my devices would last over 15 hours over 2G at least.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope thats the case. But Apple website says 8 GB over 3G(HSPA+) and 10 (or 11 can't remember) over LTE. All my devices would last over 15 hours over 2G at least.

From my experience , when you are in a place with bad reception or have 2g, battery life diminishes faster than it would on a good 3G signal.i had a problem with battery life on my iPhone 5 and my 5s wasn't so great. Unfortunately you can't have the option of 2g but you can turn of LTE or 4g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
From my experience , when you are in an are with bad reception or have 2g, battery life diminishes faster than it would on a good 3G signal.i had a problem with battery life on my iPhone 5 and my 5s wasn't so great. Unfortunately you can't have the option of 2g but you can turn of LTE or 4g.

And we don't even have LTE yet. At least not on my carrier, the competitor carrier will launch it today after a year of Beta testing they already literally fully covered the city I live in, but they are just too expensive :/

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
And we don't even have LTE yet. At least not on my carrier, the competitor carrier will launch it today after a year of Beta testing they already literally fully covered the city I live in, but they are just too expensive :/

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Same with my network. Optus will be updating there towers for 4g this month. I'm pretty exited.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

They took out the option to turn off 3G/HSPA+ with iOS 6 believe. The battery life on HSPA+ is fine now so you don't really need to turn it off.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Actually I can turn off 3G on my iPhone 5S and that is because my carrier doesn't offer LTE yet.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1382353418.764797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the above. HSPA sips the battery on the newer hardware, I do have LTE and make it all day with a charge. Things have improved over the years.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

My 5S lasts, on average, about 21hrs on LTE before I need to charge it and that's with at least 6hrs of use.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm assuming you've got your phone?
Happy for you buddy

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW