Ed Colligan Laughs At Apple Phone

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Ummm... wouldn't you say APPLE had the last laugh. IBM sold their laptop division and no longer sells PCs either. All because they couldn't figure out how to make that part of their business profitable. Where have you been?

And as I recall, that was just a marketing slogan doing everything possible to stop others from laughing and to project that they were not laughing (whether seriously naive or rather smug is perhaps another issue altogether).

It went like this: Welcome, IBM. Seriously.

But before all that, didn't IBM invent the PC(the NON-Apple version) as we know it? Or at least have a big part in it?

daThomas

Feb 4, 2004
AskTheCouch.com
Not going to play this, especially since I was called upon in this very thread on 5 different occassions to list possible features that an iPhone might have.
The point was NEW features. Everything you list is alrady being done, unless however you meant for those using Apple OS only.

This is the most screwed-up forum I have ever frequented.
Yea but that's what gives it character.

;)

edmc

Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
There are better music download services than iTunes, but iTunes is a dominant force.

There are better portable music players than iPods, but iPods are a dominant force.

Whether or not Apple proves more or less innovative than the current crop of CellPhone players, I have a high expectation that their entrance would be disruptive to the status quo.

Oh, and as far as Apple vs. IBM getting the last laugh, most would lump IBM in with all the other PC manufacturers Apple has battled. So I don't think citing IBM's exit of the laptop business as their final defeat is relavent to the debate/bragging-rights. That said, I own a Mac Mini Duo - by my measure, the best PC I could get in it's category (very small, virtually silent, diminutive PC) - upon which I run Windows XP :)

chillig35

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
Apple's hallmark has always been elegant and simple-to-use user interface. Seamless integration of hardware and software functions with a focus on customer experience.

So what kind of "smart" phone can we expect from apple? Something that is inherently smart so that the user doesnt have to be. This would not be aimed at the corporate power user for email and calendars but rather the average user who would like her phone to double as an entertainment device. Something with a limited set of functions - focused on, say phone, music and camera/video. It would sync effortlessly (maybe OTA?) with iTunes/iPhone software where you could integrate your music, videos, photos, contact lists and so on. And it would definitely have an elegant form factor (read "thin") and UI (keypad, screen).

In terms of technical specs or functionality - apple's phone will not impress anyone. But in terms of user experience (and we're talking joe average here) it will be revolutionary (or at least that's how apple will spin it).

Disclaimer: I don't own either an iPod or Treo currently

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I still looking for what the iPhone will be that is not out in the market yet -- any brand, any OS. . . .

What will be the twist that they bring? What will be the target market?

what it will be is of a design that trumps what Palm currently offers via the Treo. that and a op system that is modern and of the times while offering programs a'la Apple/Mac should just about do it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
How about something like this.

w850-white.jpg

And yes, it does have A2DP and UMTS.

Surur

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
An iphone will probably rank up there with the phone Surur posted; I think sonyericsson has the best design/plan for musicphones. They've really nailed it as best as can be done given the drm/carrier restrictions that abound right now.
Having said that, i think that an iphone is probably going to be along these lines, probably with a very apple-fied UI. I think over time Apple might try something more smartphoney, but it's not the first thing they'll do. And in that regard, they'll probably make a shiney, ipod-ish phone, and SE and Apple will split the musicphone market.

southbound747

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
iPhone = iPod/Phone ??? (Those are being sold.)

iPhone = PDA/Phone ??? (Thinner and white???)

What is Apple going to bring to the party? What feature set do you see as new and intriguing? (Not to bring up the past -- but they did not stick with the Newton long enough -- is this redemption time?)

Cheers, Perry.
Apple stuff has incredible style. I am very sorry Jobs killed the Newton; otherwise 90% of us with treos would have much more advanced newton phones instead today...

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site

w850-white.jpg

And yes, it does have A2DP and UMTS.

Surur

I so wish Sony haven't moved to the stupid M2 memory card. Hopefully the iPhone will have some memory build in.

BTW I was in Hong Kong yesterday. Nobody uses the big iPod, I mean NOBODY. You may be able to find the new iPod nano but the market is over ran by Sony and Nokia music phones. I almost brought an egg-shaped tiny mp3 player for my friend.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
I don't think the iPhone will be a smartphone. I know alot of people will be disappointed but let's see what happen.
Ditto that.

They're more likely to go after the consumer masses with a music phone to leverage their iTunes/iPod dominance.

Making a smartphone would mean either using someone else's OS (doubtful for Apple) or building their own, which requires creating an ecosystem of applications and developers. I don't think the market is big enough to support another platform...

theog

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
No offense to any serious Palm fans here, but Ed Colligan should STFU with his often last year's technology phones!!

What she said....

And I agree with archie...

The ipod already has some pda functions....

If they were to release a SOLID phone, it would sell. Treos have issues and now a history... some people would not buy one even if they were free.

Then again, you still have verizon high data plans and other issues to deal with that makes many users shun pda/phone combo.

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
new features? a built in breathalyzer tester, which plays the tune "margaritaville" if ya fail the test....

a built-in nicotrol inhaler (located within the antenna, you see) which helps you quit smoking.

.. The phone automatically calls AA to report your relapses.

new features... there you go.

PSB22

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Archie, it seems most of what you posted seemed to describe wireless synch? It's hard to see how apple is going to usurp that. I mean, apart from the 1-2% of desktop users in the "real world" who use a mac, how are they gonna get everyone to suddenly ditch MS Outlook and switch over to a 3rd party iCal compatible program?

Sure, it will have iTunes music access, and it had better include unlimited songs (not the stupid 100 limit currently on the motorolas), plus the ability to swap in/out SD cards. Either that, or at least 8GB of on-board flash memory. It will also need built in wifi, a screen at least the size of the zune or regular PDAs (not square like the treo). It will need some sort of replication of the iPod click wheel (to retain continuity for iPod users). It will also need a qwerty keyboard to optimize PDA functions, and a touch screen. Right now, I just don't see how apple is gonna pull all this off, in one device, without it being a brick.

emajy

Sep 2, 2002
Visit site
My bet is that it will be a multimeida unlocked GSM phone. Syncs with iTunes etc. I will be surprised if they have agreements with all the different carriers worldwide. This way they can control the hardware like they do with everything else.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

w850-white.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised, but prettier (no Mr Magoo eyes from Apple!), oodles more built-in memory (4 or 8 GB rather than the 16 MB on the 850i), iTunes and iTMS integration.

I'll believe Apple are making a smartphone when I see it.