ECO ATMs???

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Have any of you seen these? I have seen them at Kroger and at Walmart. You can sell your devices on the spot. Apparently, you place your device into the kiosk's "test station" and "The kiosk prices each individual device based on model, condition and the current value on the market." If the seller decides to sell their device, they get their money right there on the spot.

I witnessed a young kid and his parents selling a phone at one of these "atms" last night. His Father was rather concerned about what happened to the phone after it was sold. They asked one of the baggers if the machine "wipes" the phone. Of course, the "bagger" had no clue. The father looked at me and I shrugged that I didn't know, but that I didn't think it was a good idea. The kid didn't care, didn't take into considerations of what he was doing... he just wanted his money and was brushing off his parent's concerns. I left the store just as his mother gave him the go ahead.

I kept thinking about this, and could see all sorts of issues. I have since read the ECO ATM's website. They are very clear that all phones should be wiped, and disconnected from any carrier. The website's FAQ answers all sorts of questions.

I don't think I'd ever sell my phone this way. I bring it up here, because of the scenario I witnessed last night. It amazes me how unaware people are about protecting their privacy. I felt bad for this kid's Dad. He clearly was aware, but ignored.

Thoughts?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with your statements. I would have concerns. Especially if the phone was not wiped. What doesn't make sense though is if the phone is not wiped how does the company purchasing them ever use the phone again. Or are they using the phones for parts.

I either hand my phones down to family members or recycle them to women's shelters after wiping them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you seen these? I have seen them at Kroger and at Walmart. You can sell your devices on the spot. Apparently, you place your device into the kiosk's "test station" and "The kiosk prices each individual device based on model, condition and the current value on the market." If the seller decides to sell their device, they get their money right there on the spot.

I witnessed a young kid and his parents selling a phone at one of these "atms" last night. His Father was rather concerned about what happened to the phone after it was sold. They asked one of the baggers if the machine "wipes" the phone. Of course, the "bagger" had no clue. The father looked at me and I shrugged that I didn't know, but that I didn't think it was a good idea. The kid didn't care, didn't take into considerations of what he was doing... he just wanted his money and was brushing off his parent's concerns. I left the store just as his mother gave him the go ahead.

I kept thinking about this, and could see all sorts of issues. I have since read the ECO ATM's website. They are very clear that all phones should be wiped, and disconnected from any carrier. The website's FAQ answers all sorts of questions.

I don't think I'd ever sell my phone this way. I bring it up here, because of the scenario I witnessed last night. It amazes me how unaware people are about protecting their privacy. I felt bad for this kid's Dad. He clearly was aware, but ignored.

Thoughts?

Stating that “all phones should be wiped, and disconnected from any carrier” means that it’s up to the seller (as it should be) to make sure that his or her data is removed from the phone prior to selling it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree with everyone else.
I think Dad should have stepped and made sure his kid did the right thing. Would have been a good lesson.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner