Downloading mp3 to iphone 5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There's plenty of ways to do file management on the iPhone...downloading MP3's directly to the music app just isn't one of them (for very obvious reasons I mentioned before).

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There's plenty of ways to do file management on the iPhone...downloading MP3's directly to the music app just isn't one of them (for very obvious reasons I mentioned before).

It's not a "very obvious" reason when all other mobile OS' have managed to incorporate this feature with no issues. It's called "penny squeezing". I understand Apple is a for profit company. I just don't agree with my phone being so limited in areas that flourished on my Android devices. Oh well.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
linsiris...feel free to offer an example of this. I'd really like to see in what fashion it saves it to the device and how it could be used in the way one would expect to use an MP3 file (IE: listening to it). I will certainly admit I am wrong if i can see an example...to be honest, I've never actually given it much research since iTunes is such an easy layout to do this with, i guess i just can't see why someone would want their music saved outside of the native music app (given the features and near effortless UI it offers).

Also, in order to use it with the music app, you still have to connect to iTunes right? What's the point? Like adding a middle man.

Wow what did I miss here? I'll try to make this short and to the point for I don't like to perpetuate endless (and sometimes pointless) discussions as the iOS vs Android ecosystem.
Yes, iTunes is easy and everything but there are hundreds of alternatives to the music app and maybe you don't need them, don't see the point, don't like them or whatever still they exist, they even let you edit and email songs and for iTunes just in case you don't know not all the iTunes stores worldwide offer music to purchase, some countries don't have this option (just have the appstore), some other people (like me) don't carry their laptops around either to be plugging and transferring music all the time but want/like to have the option to download them if they want to, and (believe it or not) the iTunes stores does not have all the songs in the world. So there are many reasons why some people like and appreciate having this option.

Here are some screenshots I took from one of this apps, don't know if this will do (if they don't, feel free to download one and learn a bit more about them).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364057516.441045.jpg

You can see that they are actual files with size and all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364057627.329800.jpg

And again the OP asked a simple question which answer is yes.

Have a good day everyone.

P.S: Didn't mean to be rude or offend anyone.

Jonathan Hansen

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If you download the mercury browser, you can download videos, audio files, and other things directly to your iPhone or drop-box. Open the mercury browser, navigate to en.savefrom.net. At this page you can copy links and paste them into the download bar. Then click the download button and you will get the option to download the file in several different formats. Click and hold on the setting you want and then hit download link. It will download to your iPhone, but you will have to open the mercury browser to reach it. Another option is after downloading it to the mercury browser, you can send it to drop-box where you can favorite it and view it for offline use.
I know this is a little late, but better late than never.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Not really...there are apps (or used to be) that allowed files to be "saved" within the app, almost like saving the website address to an MP3 file on Safari and accessing it. Not really the same as saving directly to the iPhone (which, thankfully, is not possible since it would open the door to all kinds of issues that you find on other platforms that allow this kind of thing).

I always get wary of these threads when the first post says "I know on Android we can...", usually spells out the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

frustratediphone

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Itools, works great and a lot easier than iTunes. From running the program to learning how to use it to putting some Spanish lessons mp3 on iphone without a sync took only a few minutes, too easy. Tip you to put the mp3's into iTunes then drag to itools, loads only the mp3 automatically.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Itools, works great and a lot easier than iTunes. From running the program to learning how to use it to putting some Spanish lessons mp3 on iphone without a sync took only a few minutes, too easy. Tip you to put the mp3's into iTunes then drag to itools, loads only the mp3 automatically.

Not sure how this is answering what the original post was asking (ie. download directly to Music app on iPhone).

websquad

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Downloading mp3 to iphone 5s

Add music to your iTunes library and sync.
Keith, I'm new to the iPhone/iOS world, having come from many years of Blackberry and Android. I have a pair of iPhone 5s's (one for me & one for wife). I have a bunch of classical music CD's that I can rip into MP3 files with no problem. Also, I know how to modify each mp3 file's metadata.
  1. What is the best way to transfer these to the iPhone. I've never used iTunes except for the App store (I don't know if it even uses iTunes)?
  2. Does the iPhone have a concept similar to albums, so if you have a bunch of tracks (mp3 files) that you want to keep together, you can?
  3. How are the tracks stacked/ordered in the iPhone? Do you need to manipulate each track's metadata, such as the 'title' field?
  4. How are the albums arranged? Alphabetical order? By which metadata field?
  5. Do you know of any utility (I'm a Windows guy) to make this job easier?
Thanks for your help!

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Downloading mp3 to iphone 5s

Keith, I'm new to the iPhone/iOS world, having come from many years of Blackberry and Android. I have a pair of iPhone 5s's (one for me & one for wife). I have a bunch of classical music CD's that I can rip into MP3 files with no problem. Also, I know how to modify each mp3 file's metadata.
  1. What is the best way to transfer these to the iPhone. I've never used iTunes except for the App store (I don't know if it even uses iTunes)?
  2. Does the iPhone have a concept similar to albums, so if you have a bunch of tracks (mp3 files) that you want to keep together, you can?
  3. How are the tracks stacked/ordered in the iPhone? Do you need to manipulate each track's metadata, such as the 'title' field?
  4. How are the albums arranged? Alphabetical order? By which metadata field?
  5. Do you know of any utility (I'm a Windows guy) to make this job easier?
Thanks for your help!

Here's how iTunes works in transferring the tracks from your PC to the iPhone: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1535

If you are not a fan the whole iTunes sync issue, use copytrans manager - a lightweight free alternative which is really stripped down but works just fine for adding songs/videos to the iphone. http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

The tracks are automatically ordered on the iPhone in Albums and Artists (alphabetical order) according to the metadata of the song.

Last edited:

Jim Lester

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Your patience is amazing. After reading your reply at the top of the Forum I kept going and getting confused. Thank you for your clarity and helpfulness.

Rick McCargar

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
When you say that it can't be any easier than adding it to iTunes and then syncing it, I must wonder if you realized that the extra step precludes it from being the easiest possible way to add music to a phone.

Someone sends me an mp3, I download it into my phone by clicking on it. That, is easy.

Adding it to a program after receiving it, then syncing two machines, is not the easiest method, by far.

I have a macbook pro, an iphone, an ipad air, and now a samsung galaxy S5 that is kicking my iphone to death in terms of capacity, screen size, chip speed, and the ability to change memory cards and.....batteries!

When my iphone and the rest die, I'm finished with apple. Paid too much for tech that is almost always behind the times, and less convenient.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When you say that it can't be any easier than adding it to iTunes and then syncing it, I must wonder if you realized that the extra step precludes it from being the easiest possible way to add music to a phone.

Someone sends me an mp3, I download it into my phone by clicking on it. That, is easy.

Adding it to a program after receiving it, then syncing two machines, is not the easiest method, by far.

I have a macbook pro, an iphone, an ipad air, and now a samsung galaxy S5 that is kicking my iphone to death in terms of capacity, screen size, chip speed, and the ability to change memory cards and.....batteries!

When my iphone and the rest die, I'm finished with apple. Paid too much for tech that is almost always behind the times, and less convenient.
Hello! Who is the "you" your talking with? The last comment was in May. There's another thread about your subject.

billyboydoy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't get it ...

Just because you can't transfer some music to your phone than you said :
the tech that are always behind the time !!!!! ????

WoW ... I mean I never heard some like this before ,
What is exactly the issue you are complaining about ?
Why you said apple is a tech behind the time ?

I am really confused here regarding your point !

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Quest Graves

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
What specifically do you mean by issues? That is an ignorant response. I'm a software engineer as well as long time mobile developer and it is exhausting to hear about these potential "issues" that freely downloading files "open up" to various platforms. IT sounds scary right? What if someone downloads a virus? I have yet to find a case of this actually happening because there are other security layers that protect against these threats. However, the inability to freely download various files has been a huge headache especially to those of us that rely on that stuff every day. I can't count how many times I've saved computers from infection by downloading software to my phone to transfer to a laptop or desktop, or fixed wireless driver issues...anyway thank you for adding to the paranoia and uninformed speculation about potential security problems that open platforms have. Yes I use an Android Note 3 and for the above posted reasons. I have three batteries an external charger and a 64 GB SD.

Quest Graves

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Downloading mp3 to iphone 5s

Finally a solution. I've been trying to share a lecture to a colleague who uses iPhone. I know it sucks, but thank you for providing a solution.

OneArseneWenger

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an ancient thread, but Rick nailed it. I look after IT, among other things, for a 1,500 member private golf club. We have a website with SSO to two other sites, plus a voicemail system that forwards voicemail messages in mp3 format via email. We joined a corporate mobile phone plan when the 5s was the phone to get. Currently none of our 5s users who have updated to 8.3 can open the voicemail mp3's. It works on Android, BB10, iPhone 6, any browser on a PC, but not on the 5s. And since the last few os updates, hundreds of members' Apple devices - iphones, ioads, macbooks - have versions/settings that do not play nice with all three websites. iTunes made me hate Apple years ago, and it keeps getting worse. That said, if anyone has suggestions re opening mp3's received via email, I would be most appreciative.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR