Downloading ios 7.1 over Wi-Fi

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Since January 2013 I have had an iPhone 5 and since the day I purchased it I have the same operating system which is ios 6.0. The main reason I never upgraded it is because I didn't see a need to, so I said if it's not broke why fix it. Anyway a few months ago one of my apps which is My Disney Experience had an update and to get it you now need at least ios 6.1, however the older version still worked for me. That is until a few weeks ago and now when I click to open it a message comes on to say I need to upgrade my ios to get the update.

Anyway this coming August I'm driving to Orlando, Florida and prior to arriving there I'm staying at a Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, and Fairfield Inn & Suites along the way. So I'm thinking why not back everything up on my iPhone 5 at one of those locations over the free Wi-Fi in the room and then download ios 7.1 after that's done. I'm wondering has anyone ever experienced problems downloading the latest ios versions over Wi-Fi and etc?

Now in case anyone asks I don't have iTunes downloaded on my computer because there was not enough space for it, because I know that's the easier way to download the ios. Also my house does not have any Wi-Fi and the one that pops up for some reason is locked.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Since January 2013 I have had an iPhone 5 and since the day I purchased it I have the same operating system which is ios 6.0. The main reason I never upgraded it is because I didn't see a need to, so I said if it's not broke why fix it. Anyway a few months ago one of my apps which is My Disney Experience had an update and to get it you now need at least ios 6.1, however the older version still worked for me. That is until a few weeks ago and now when I click to open it a message comes on to say I need to upgrade my ios to get the update.

Anyway this coming August I'm driving to Orlando, Florida and prior to arriving there I'm staying at a Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, and Fairfield Inn & Suites along the way. So I'm thinking why not back everything up on my iPhone 5 at one of those locations over the free Wi-Fi in the room and then download ios 7.1 after that's done. I'm wondering has anyone ever experienced problems downloading the latest ios versions over Wi-Fi and etc?

Now in case anyone asks I don't have iTunes downloaded on my computer because there was not enough space for it, because I know that's the easier way to download the ios. Also my house does not have any Wi-Fi and the one that pops up for some reason is locked.

I've never had any issues with OTA installs. Its actually my preferred method since I rarely have the time to connect my phone to my computer.

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I just want to ask this for clarification and my own piece of mind, since I'm not sure the next time I will be at the Apple Store. After I back everything up through WI-FI and then download iOS 7.1.2 over WI-FI, when my iPhone re-starts and comes on I just slide to unlock it and everything I previously had like my back round, apps and pictures will still be there? I'm asking because on YouTube I saw a video of downloading iOS 7 through WI-FI and when that persons iPhone re-started after saying welcome it then said it in other languages.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I've updated over OTA for minor updates before, and all my data/apps were still there afterwards. Updating to 7.1.2 from 6.x is not something I've tried, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

Of similar note, I've tried updating my phone over hotel wifi before, and it failed miserably. It never fully completed the download before it popped up an error about the download being interrupted. Nothing was lost; I just couldn't upgrade. Your experience may vary, but I've yet to stay at a hotel where I was actually impressed with the wifi.

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I've updated over OTA for minor updates before, and all my data/apps were still there afterwards. Updating to 7.1.2 from 6.x is not something I've tried, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

Of similar note, I've tried updating my phone over hotel wifi before, and it failed miserably. It never fully completed the download before it popped up an error about the download being interrupted. Nothing was lost; I just couldn't upgrade. Your experience may vary, but I've yet to stay at a hotel where I was actually impressed with the wifi.
I'm thinking of downloading the new iOS at a Hampton Inn. I previously used their WI-FI at that specific one before last December and had no problems. If it matters when logging onto it I needed to put my last name and the room number I was staying in. So it never turns itself off like it did at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel I once stayed at, because on their in room WI-FI you click it and it comes on without a password, but turns itself off if I lock the phone.

Now on the off chance the download does not work will it effect my phone? I never thought of that happening until you mentioned it and if an error message comes on, do I just click ok and nothing more?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of downloading the new iOS at a Hampton Inn. I previously used their WI-FI at that specific one before last December and had no problems. If it matters when logging onto it I needed to put my last name and the room number I was staying in. So it never turns itself off like it did at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel I once stayed at, because on their in room WI-FI you click it and it comes on without a password, but turns itself off if I lock the phone.

Now on the off chance the download does not work will it effect my phone? I never thought of that happening until you mentioned it and if an error message comes on, do I just click ok and nothing more?

I would honestly wait until you were at home on your own Wi-Fi, but if you really feel the need to download it, do so.

If the Wi-Fi ends up turning off in the middle of the update, perform a hard reset (Hold down home and sleep/wake button until Apple logo appears) and that should allow it to function properly, but it will still be on iOS 6. Your information won't be lost if you do this

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I would honestly wait until you were at home on your own Wi-Fi, but if you really feel the need to download it, do so.

If the Wi-Fi ends up turning off in the middle of the update, perform a hard reset (Hold down home and sleep/wake button until Apple logo appears) and that should allow it to function properly, but it will still be on iOS 6. Your information won't be lost if you do this
I don't have access to WI-FI at my house. When I click it a WI-FI network comes up that says BELL95, however I have no idea what the password is. When I called them to ask about it, they said to get it we need to do something with our internet connection and it sounded to complicated. That's why I had the idea of trying this at a Hotel.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
If you are with Bell Canada for your home Internet connection, look on your modem, it's generally printed either on the side, or below the modem.
The default Wi-Fi network's name is called "Primary SSID" and the password is called "WPA 2" on mine. You can always look up on Bell's website for instructions, they have good step-by-step tutorials :)

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
If you are with Bell Canada for your home Internet connection, look on your modem, it's generally printed either on the side, or below the modem.
The default Wi-Fi network's name is called "Primary SSID" and the password is called "WPA 2" on mine. You can always look up on Bell's website for instructions, they have good step-by-step tutorials :)
I tried calling Bell again today and the person on the phone said exactly what you did, however the number printed on the modem didn't work. Instead she said type in a specific number on the address bar of our internet, which took us to our Wi-Fi settings and etc. Anyway I was able to change the password and now the Wi-Fi works in my house when I'm on my iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR