Download data limits

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I am now on Verizon's unlimited data plan. I went to download an app update and podcast this week. I was unable to because they were over 100 MB. Is there a way to remove that restriction, or am I doomed to have to wait to use Wi-Fi? I am away from home for work for a majority of the week, so Wi-Fi is not always available.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
It's just Apple's way of being helpful. Gonna be a pain when everyone has unlimited data. I've never found a way around it except WiFi or tethering.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
This is Apple's implementation to avoid overload of the carrier's network.
Despite the fact that unlimited is getting more and more affordable and common, the overload issue is still not fully resolved.

Once carriers allow Apple to remove this limit, it is there to stay and can't be disabled by us users.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is Apple's implementation to avoid overload of the carrier's network.
Despite the fact that unlimited is getting more and more affordable and common, the overload issue is still not fully resolved.

Once carriers allow Apple to remove this limit, it is there to stay and can't be disabled by us users.
I doubt it's the carriers asking for a limit. Carriers can actually make changes to Android phones and they don't even implement this. On Android you get a warning if you go to download something big on cellular data but the choice is with the user if you move forward with the download.

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
This is not the solution to your problem, but an alternative way to listen to your podcasts. You can stream podcasts over cellular. You don't have to download them to your iPhone. Since you have an unlimited plan, this is the better way to take advantage of it. You can listen to all the podcasts, all the live-long day, and never have to download anything onto your iPhone, taking up precious storage space.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
That is an option. But, I do drive through the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia for work a lot. And even with Verizon, in some of those areas, coverage can get spotty.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
If you go to Settings > Podcasts is Only Download on Wi-Fi unchecked?

What about trying a 3rd party podcast app like Pocket Casts? Does that have a limit on downloading over cellular?

Also regarding app updates, last week there was an update for the Facebook app which said it was over 100MB. My phone warned me but I was able to update the app over cellular. However I'm thinking due to app thinning the update was actually less than 100MB.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
If you go to Settings > Podcasts is Only Download on Wi-Fi unchecked?

What about trying a 3rd party podcast app like Pocket Casts? Does that have a limit on downloading over cellular?

Also regarding app updates, last week there was an update for the Facebook app which said it was over 100MB. My phone warned me but I was able to update the app over cellular. However I'm thinking due to app thinning the update was actually less than 100MB.

That was very helpful. Thank you!

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The only way I can think of to remove this would be to jailbreak. I was honestly not expecting Verizon to offer an unlimited plan especially after all those ads about people not needing unlimited data.