Dolby Atmos and audio quality settings

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
What’s everyone’s opinion on Dolby Atmos and the available audio quality settings? I have Dolby Atmos turned on and these are my current settings. Is there a better configuration of settings or any reason I should change something?

946d8fcea937dc41175aadbd8dd85c0a.jpg

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t use Lossless on Cellular streaming, because it uses a lot of data, like a lot more (from memory 3000Kbps, instead of 256Kbps).

Personally, I can usually hear a difference on Dolby Atmos songs, but I barely distinguish a lossless track from a lossy one. There are exceptions to both of them, but they are that, exceptions.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t use Lossless on Cellular streaming, because it uses a lot of data, like a lot more (from memory 3000Kbps, instead of 256Kbps).

Personally, I can usually hear a difference on Dolby Atmos songs, but I barely distinguish a lossless track from a lossy one. There are exceptions to both of them, but they are that, exceptions.

Would it matter if you have an unlimited data plan?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Depends on your data plan structure.

If you have a unlimited data plan that does not throttle after a certain allotment, I would say no… if you always have good 3G, 4G or 5G service (by good, I expect a constant minimum of 15Mbps downstream speeds).

If you have an unlimited plan like me that throttles after X GB (I have 15GiB), then I would totally change it. Does not matter if you have a good service level or not.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your data plan structure.

If you have a unlimited data plan that does not throttle after a certain allotment, I would say no… if you always have good 3G, 4G or 5G service (by good, I expect a constant minimum of 15Mbps downstream speeds).

If you have an unlimited plan like me that throttles after X GB (I have 15GiB), then I would totally change it. Does not matter if you have a good service level or not.

I’m unsure of all those specifics of my own unlimited plan so I’ll just turn off lossless for cellular. Thanks for the info

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My settings are set as yours OP and thus far, it’s been great and I can indeed hear the difference in sound. The only time I stream via cellular is when I’m in my car.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

If you have unlimited data, you should be fine. It's not like you'll be listening to music non stop. And many songs are not even lossless songs. If a song is both Dolby Atmos and Lossless, it defaults to Dolby Atmos.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
If you have unlimited data, you should be fine. It's not like you'll be listening to music non stop. And many songs are not even lossless songs. If a song is both Dolby Atmos and Lossless, it defaults to Dolby Atmos.

Good point! Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I’m surprised at how many songs, especially older songs, are lossless. I’ve not checked all of my playlists, but the ones I listen to regularly contains songs that are lossless.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’m surprised at how many songs, especially older songs, are lossless. I’ve not checked all of my playlists, but the ones I listen to regularly contains songs that are lossless.

Yeah, I see quite a few that show neither Dolby Atmos nor Lossless. Many of those may be live versions.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Recently when playing music through my paired HomePods I’ve noticed songs having quite an echo effect. Does that come from the Dolby Atmos feature being turned on?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Recently when playing music through my paired HomePods I’ve noticed songs having quite an echo effect. Does that come from the Dolby Atmos feature being turned on?

I haven't noticed an echo effect. But some do have a concert hall acoustics sound on my iPhone. Depends on how it's recorded.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I haven’t experience any echoing while listening to lossless music as of yet.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
What’s everyone’s opinion on Dolby Atmos and the available audio quality settings? I have Dolby Atmos turned on and these are my current settings. Is there a better configuration of settings or any reason I should change something?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210709/946d8fcea937dc41175aadbd8dd85c0a.jpg
Lossless and Dolby are separate settings. It's unfortunately either/or. While listening to music it will tell you what it is.

For myself personally, I've chosen high quality lossless over Dolby.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen