Does the new group message functionality only work if everyone has an iPhone?

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought you were supposed to be able to name group conversations, add people, and remove people including yourself. None of that is working or even available but my group messages involve people on iPhone and other platforms.

Update: Well I did find an all iMessage group conversation and the new functionality is there. Well that's disappointing. Cool features but only tied to iMessage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on this comment from Allyson Kazmucha via the iMore Blog, you should be able to group message with SMS user, too.

"Remember that you can only leave group messages if all participants are using iMessage and running iOS 8 or higher. Since Apple doesn't have access to block or remove you from carrier messages, iMessage threads are the only thing they can remove you from on their end. The Leave This Conversation option will be grayed out like you see above if someone in the thread is running an older version of iOS. If the bubbles are green, you won't be able to remove yourself since those are regular text messages."
Source: How to quickly leave group messages in iMessage for iOS 8 | iMore

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I can group message people. I just can't name the group, invite, or remove myself. Her response makes sense on why some functions aren't available. Thanks.

shaytoon21

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
still kinda confused here, hope someone can clear this up because i was under the assumption this will be fixed in ios8

lets say i setup a group chat with 6 people. one of them doesnt use an iphone. i was under the impression that one person wont matter anymore and that theyll be "treated" like an imessage user now. as in, the 5 people who are using imessage can be able to seamlessly text or whatever they please without getting any kind of error messages because of that one person.

from what ive been able to see is that i cant even add that 1 person at all anymore, it shows up in red (when before i was able to add them but there would just be a huge mess of texts/pics not being sent properly)

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You and I were both under assumptions about these features. I think the explanation given about not being able to do some of festures because of carrier restrictions makes sense. Apple can control features with iMessage because they are not carrier controlled.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I believe you might be mixing messages (no pun intended) about what apple said.

The part you're stating I think had more to do with being able to use iMessage on any device regardless of what they were using. Whereas before iMessage on say an iPad only worked for Apple users.

The rest of everything else still applies as standard rules so group messages features are still apple only.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro