Does iOS ever really shutdown?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you do a hard restart on an iOS device, then open up multitasking, your open apps are still there.

With other platforms, doing a battery pull would clear the open apps. Since iOS devices do not have accessible batteries, we could not test this.

So with the apps still being open after restating or powering off, it's safe to assume there is something internal doing memory management, like the CMOS battery of a PC.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this, too, but there are times when the recently used app list is clear after rebooting. Personally, I close out everything first.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I usually close out all as well, but sometimes for troubleshooting you hear/read instructions to hard reset/reboot. If the apps don't close at that point, it wouldn't seem to help the issue at hand.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Even so, when powering off any device, it should clear everything and restart with nothing. First troubling steps for computers is to restart to refresh all services and memory.

For an iPhone, you can restart and power off, but not pull the battery.

tinktink09is

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way as you. I figure since after doing a hard reset (home button + power button)...all apps still remain in the app drawer. I don't feel like it's actually shutting down. But maybe that's how Apple designed the shut down process for whatever reason. But like you said, when doing a battery pull on other devices, it clears EVERYTHING. In addition, I noticed that even if you close all the apps from the app drawer and do a hard reset, when the phone comes back on...those same apps are back in the app drawer. Kinda puzzling...:straight-face:

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
To further the question, if I do a search in the App Store, then close the app, open App Drawer and officially close the app, when I go back in to the App Store it remains at the same search results.

I am questioning apps shutting completely down at all and if the multitasking is a gimmick

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
To further the question, if I do a search in the App Store, then close the app, open App Drawer and officially close the app, when I go back in to the App Store it remains at the same search results.

I am questioning apps shutting completely down at all and if the multitasking is a gimmick

It saves last "tab" you where using and when it starts up again that's where it continues from.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl