• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Does eSIM really work?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious about people's experience with the eSIM in the Xs Max (or the Xs or Xr). From the last I saw, eSIM has never really worked well. Yes, some people have signed up and used it on AT&T and Verizon but, even though it has been supported by those carriers, I've continued to hear about issues with voicemail and messaging, and possibly other issues. T-Mobile only supports it on prepaid, though you can try a "work around" to try and get it working on postpaid -- though again I've heard of similar issues (which allegedly is why T-Mobile doesn't support it on postpaid).

So, I'm curious what others have seen and experienced. Is this a feature Apple has failed on? Or are many now having a good experience with eSIM -- if they are on one of the major carriers?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious about people's experience with the eSIM in the Xs Max (or the Xs or Xr). From the last I saw, eSIM has never really worked well. Yes, some people have signed up and used it on AT&T and Verizon but, even though it has been supported by those carriers, I've continued to hear about issues with voicemail and messaging, and possibly other issues. T-Mobile only supports it on prepaid, though you can try a "work around" to try and get it working on postpaid -- though again I've heard of similar issues (which allegedly is why T-Mobile doesn't support it on postpaid).

So, I'm curious what others have seen and experienced. Is this a feature Apple has failed on? Or are many now having a good experience with eSIM -- if they are on one of the major carriers?

I am using an eSIM with AT&T. It is working fine.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Works fine on all carriers that support it. You can get it working with that work around on T-Mobile but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I moved to eSIM on AT&T when I got mine but honestly I don't see a reason to keep it that way. First you can't simply move your eSIM service to another phone you have to go into the store and waste an hour or so of your life getting it done. I am going back to regular old SIM when I have the time so I can simply put it into the phone of my choice without delay.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This correct. I went to AT&T and they gave me a card with a QR code and I scanned it with my phone and it pretty much programmed itself.

Heck, you can just request one online through a rep and they'll send it right away. And if you travel abroad and buy a pre-paid with a QR code it's that instant.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohammadreza