Does background app refresh affect the timing of notifications?

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Yet another quick question if i may guys. Sometimes i notice that i will get a notification just as i wake my phone to unlock! The notification will seem as though it has just come through but might actually be from minutes earlier! For example i might get a notification for a text message when i wake the phone almost as if the text has literally just come in as i pick up the phone but in reality the message came in 5/10 minutes prior.

I do have background app refresh off but iam using wifi so shouldn't all notifications come in on time? Unless when the phone is not in use and the screen is off it puts wifi to sleep??

Just trying to understand how it works on ios as i have been android for years so this is a learning curve for me :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No, BAR does not affect notifications. BAR helps apps run more efficiently in the background, using less resources. There's not really any reason to turn it off. I keep BAR on for all my apps.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Also check with your carrier sometimes when someone texts using SMS it delays especially when it’s carrier to carrier use

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
So is there any reason why notifications do not come in until i pick up/wake the phone up? Like somebody could email me right now for example but the phone wont notify me. As soon as i pick up the phone and wake it ...... then the notification will come through seconds later! Its almost as if the phone is now allowing any notifications to come through once the screen is asleep?

Iam new to ios so not sure if its normal but on android the phone would notify me immediately wether the screen was asleep or not!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So is there any reason why notifications do not come in until i pick up/wake the phone up? Like somebody could email me right now for example but the phone wont notify me. As soon as i pick up the phone and wake it ...... then the notification will come through seconds later! Its almost as if the phone is now allowing any notifications to come through once the screen is asleep?

Iam new to ios so not sure if its normal but on android the phone would notify me immediately wether the screen was asleep or not!

Do you have cellular data enabled or disabled on your phone?

The iPhone suspends the WiFi connection in order to preserve battery life. And if you have disabled cellular data, WiFi will only get activated a few times only to do some background stuff like iCloud backup and some other things.
If you happen to wake up the iPhone before WiFi is activated in the background, you will notice the delay.

My recommendation: just leave cellular data on if that wasn’t the case already or keep your iPhone on the charger for WiFi not to get disconnected when the iPhone is not in use.

Last edited:

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Do you cellular data enabled or disabled on your phone?

The iPhone suspends the WiFi connection in order to preserve battery life. And if you have disabled cellular data, WiFi will only get activated a few times only to do some background stuff like iCloud backup and some other things.
If you happen to wake up the iPhone before WiFi is activated in the background, you will notice the delay.

My recommendation: just leave cellular data on if that wasn’t the case already or keep your iPhone on the charger for WiFi not to get disconnected when the iPhone is not in use.

Makes sense as i do indeed have cellular data off! I see no point in having it on when iam connected to wifi 90% of the time throughout the day! On android i had an option to keep wifi on at all times or to 'put to sleep' Ios obviously puts to sleep! So my only option is to enable mobile data? Why not just give us the option to prevent wifi from going asleep :(

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Makes sense as i do indeed have cellular data off! I see no point in having it on when iam connected to wifi 90% of the time throughout the day! On android i had an option to keep wifi on at all times or to 'put to sleep' Ios obviously puts to sleep! So my only option is to enable mobile data? Why not just give us the option to prevent wifi from going asleep :(

I’m not sure why Apple does or doesn’t do stuff, but rest assured, that besides receiving mail and notifications, not much data is used over Cellular.

For example: Photos app doesn’t update iCloud Photo Library over cellular unless you explicitly enable it, apps aren’t updated in the background either over cellular unless you enable that and there are many other examples of what doesn’t get done over cellular.
Leaving it on doesn’t use that much data.

If my assumption is correct, this is the reason that you’ve disabled cellular data to begin with, and I’m telling you you can enable it back without being afraid of running out of data.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I keep Cellular turned on. Even though I have unlimited data, I'm on WiFi most of the time. I use little cellular, unless I choose to for some reason. You can test how much data you normally use by going to settings > Cellular > scroll down to "reset statistics"> Tap that. Then keep tabs on "current usage". If you're on WiFi 90% of the time, you won't likely use much data.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Its more about battery life to be honest guys! For years i have always disabled 4G / Mobile data and only enable them if i require internet access and iam nowhere near a wifi connection! Doing it this way just made sense and seemed to save battery a bit too

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Its more about battery life to be honest guys! For years i have always disabled 4G / Mobile data and only enable them if i require internet access and iam nowhere near a wifi connection! Doing it this way just made sense and seemed to save battery a bit too

That may very well be, but how often does it happen that you can’t charge your iPhone within 8 or so hours?
Get a cheap power bank for $10 and charge it while you’re out and about. That way you can enjoy your iPhone without crippling it and without worrying it will run out of juice.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That may very well be, but how often does it happen that you can’t charge your iPhone within 8 or so hours?
Get a cheap power bank for $10 and charge it while you’re out and about. That way you can enjoy your iPhone without crippling it and without worrying it will run out of juice.

In addition, if you’re in an area with a strong wireless/cellular signal, your battery drainage should be minimal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

WiFi uses battery as well. And the difference between wifi battery usage and cellular battery usage is minimal. I learned a long time ago not to worry about battery life. I do what I want and enjoy my iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro