Does Apple Even Use Their Own Products ?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Especially the iPhone. I swear there are tons of features they are still missing. I personally rather see more improvements on their core applications than adding brand new features.

For example.
In mail : it would be easier as well to add images from within a new email instead of starting within Photos.
A " download all " button for downloading all attacthments at once.
Also I've lost a lot of draft emails by accidentally pressing the home button. I've lost a lot of thing by doing that like in calender.

In YouTube I'm never constantly logged in. YouTube it self needs to the optimized. I know it's possible.

I'm over all happy with the iPhone and 3.0 but there still very simple things they need to change.

They also need to rename "photos" to media because it now contains videos.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Let me address these this for you:

-There is a save all images button when getting more than one image in an email. (if that is indeed what you meant)

-On my phone, I've logged into YouTube once and I'm still logged in.

-If you are typing an email and hit the home button your email should automatically be put into your draft folder. At least for me it is.

-Only one I can give you is adding images from with an email. I take that back, either way you'd have to go to the photos so what does it matter if it's before creating the email or after?

In the end, even if there is something that really bothers an individual you have to remember there is not one single device out there that is "perfect". Just does not exist.

Last edited:

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
JKSikora
No. When you recieve an email with just attachments that are not downloaded, you cannot press and hold for any options at all.

The YouTube thing , I don't know why mine keep asking me to log in but there should be an option for that in plain sight regardless.

The draft situation ... It doesn't do that for me. I went into my draft folder of the email address I was using to send an email and there was nothing. It's a gmail account.

When I go to send an email , I naturally open the Mail app on my iMac and from there on continue to add what ever I need too. I think going into mail is a more natural action. What's wrong with having both options ?

I know it's not possible to have a perfect device but I think the things I've mentioned are not very outrragous features. It's just annoying the little things they don't add.

Last edited:

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
But yet, there are some out there that claim the iPhone to be a perfect device. None are perfect as stated above, but that doesn't stop the fanboys from claiming it.

I have had my share of smart phones in the past, from Palm OS to Windows Mobile to recently, Blackberry. They all have their own feature sets, making them individual from the others.

From what I read in your first post, there are already plenty of devices that do what you have mentioned, and Apple is seemingly trying to catch up.......if they want to catch up at all.

There are a few other posts on here that relate to the old Palm OS users that came to the iPhone and have found many of the same flaws that you have mentioned. That could be accomplished on a Treo, 5 years or more ago, except maybe the picture attachments, also.

I was using a Treo 750 when the iPhone first came out and didn't switch because I had no need to downgrade from a 3G Windows Mobile device that could do all of what you mentioned plus, but it still had it's flaws as a device.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
JKSikora
No. When you recieve an email with just attachments that are not downloaded, you cannot press and hold for any options at all.

The YouTube thing , I don't know why mine keep asking me to log in but there should be an option for that in plain sight regardless.

The draft situation ... It doesn't do that for me. I went into my draft folder of the email address I was using to send an email and there was nothing. It's a gmail account.

When I go to send an email , I naturally open the Mail app on my iMac and from there on continue to add what ever I need too. I think going into mail is a more natural action. What's wrong with having both options ?

I know it's not possible to have a perfect device but I think the things I've mentioned are not very outrragous features. It's just annoying the little things they don't add.

For saving images all at once, I don't know what to tell you. Works fine for me.

And for the drafts I tried it again and when I'm creating an email and press the home button then go back into email... my draft is waiting right there for me.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Drafts: I just tested the following ( and yes it's a GMail account as well ).

- Click the icon for compose new message
- Fill in the To:
- Fill in the Subject
- Press Home
- Press Mail
- Email is where I left it at the composing screen
- Fill in body
- Press Home
- Start Safari
- Browse to new site
- Close Safari
- Start 3rd party app
- close app
- Open Mail
- Still at composing screen

Maybe you should try a restore?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
For me the biggest flaw the iPhone has is that the smart playlists aren't generated on the device "Most Played", "Recently Played", etc. They are generated on the computer and synced over, which is very unintuitive because many people (like myself) do not use iTunes on their computer to play music and instead only use it to sync (I typically play music from my phone even when I'm at home) the phone.. Plus, the traditional iPod devices all have this functionality. WHY does the iPhone lack it? It's quite annoying.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Try the mail app on a BlackBerry... you have to attach each photo, one by one. It's hell to navigate to it and then find the photos. On the iPhone, I copy all the photos I want to put in the email and go right back to the email I started (where I left off as native apps don't close out) and then paste the pics. This is honestly the easiest device to send pictures on in my experience.

I have a download all button, it stays in drafts (using the native email app) and my uTube stays logged in. I barely use it, maybe once every other month on average for maybe 1 or 2 videos. I would expect it to log me out, but it doesn't unless I do a restore. Speaking of restoring, I would try doing one and start from scratch.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Try the mail app on a BlackBerry... you have to attach each photo, one by one. It's hell to navigate to it and then find the photos. On the iPhone, I copy all the photos I want to put in the email and go right back to the email I started (where I left off as native apps don't close out) and then paste the pics. This is honestly the easiest device to send pictures on in my experience.

I have a download all button, it stays in drafts (using the native email app) and my uTube stays logged in. I barely use it, maybe once every other month on average for maybe 1 or 2 videos. I would expect it to log me out, but it doesn't unless I do a restore. Speaking of restoring, I would try doing one and start from scratch.

Thank you for clarifying that I am indeed not crazy. :)

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Drafts: I just tested the following ( and yes it's a GMail account as well ).

- Click the icon for compose new message
- Fill in the To:
- Fill in the Subject
- Press Home
- Press Mail
- Email is where I left it at the composing screen
- Fill in body
- Press Home
- Start Safari
- Browse to new site
- Close Safari
- Start 3rd party app
- close app
- Open Mail
- Still at composing screen

Maybe you should try a restore?

you're so right. I tried it My self and it works. I'm not entirely sure what I did the last time I lost the email. Maybe what happened was that I maybe got a text message and went to view it. I'll continue testing.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
In all honesty, videos are "moving photos" and that is just being picky... lol. It doesn't effect performance in any way.

And yes, Apple does use their own products. If they don't have an iPhone, they're given an iPod when working. They'll normally look up an appointment on your device that way.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Im still waiting for them to add the Captain Obvious features, most notable of which is being able to click on the LOCATION in the calendar and being taken to a map (this was talked about in another thread).

There are more but I can't think of them right now.

JB has seemed to solve most of my issues

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
you're so right. I tried it My self and it works. I'm not entirely sure what I did the last time I lost the email. Maybe what happened was that I maybe got a text message and went to view it. I'll continue testing.

If you hold the home button long enough it is sort of like Force quit on a Mac so you may have force quit mail and lost the email? just a thought.

Anyway in reading all the replies I just have to say that we should remember that there are so many people out there that every setup is unique so even two people who have the same items ie. using mail with a gmail account may have it setup differently so there will always be some that get a different result when doing the same thing as someone else. I know there are alot of things that are still left to be done but that's good for developers because if apple fixed everything there would be less for creative people to come up with and market. The comment about fanboys claiming that it's perfect, like someone else said what is perfect for one person is a pain in the ass for someone else. So it is perfect in that persons eyes, if someone thinks it's not perfect that doesn't invalidate the fanboys opinion. I think it's perfect and that's because for me it has always done what I needed it to do in the two years I've had the 1st gen and 3G. I have never had any problem I couldn't fix, figure out, or that caused me to throw up my hands and pull my hair out. It has however made me smile alot of times when I've found new apps that do exactly what I need to do.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site

My youtube has never logged me out ether.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
You guys are right about the youtube thing. I actually forgot I replaced my phone. Hehe. That was my fault.

I still stand by a Download All for attachments. If I have an email with 6 pictures that are just displayed as lttle boxes withthr file name, I have to press one by one to download them.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I think the thing is people see the iPhone do so much, which may or may not be things they actually use, that they are frustrated when it doesn't do something they are used to. So we're kinda spoiled when it doesn't do something we want. It's slowly becoming the genie-in-a-bottle-one-in-all device!

OmariJames,

I think the saving multiple images won't work if they don't initially show up in the email, meaning if you can't see them, you won't be able to download them. But if you can see them, when you hold your finger down on the first one, it should give you the option to save multiple images as was shown on the screenshot someone posted earlier as well as the screenshot I've attached.

Last edited:

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

Also I've lost a lot of draft emails by accidentally pressing the home button.

Weird. On mine it goes back to the started email when I re-open mail. So if I start an email and then hit home when I re-open mail that's what I see. I can either hit cancel or send and cancel gives the option to save. Maybe there is a setting?

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I still stand by a Download All for attachments. If I have an email with 6 pictures that are just displayed as lttle boxes withthr file name, I have to press one by one to download them.

I agree with this. It's a bit of a PITA. But... I <3 my iphone! Bugs and all!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73