Does anyone know how to disable Autoplay on Instagram?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The night before last, I couldn't sleep, so I was checking things out on my iPhone- weather, mail, iMore, Facebook, and then Instagram. I started scrolling, and suddenly a video was playing, and the volume blared into the room, startling me, and worse, waking my husband, who has issues sleeping. Needless to say, I was livid, and my husband was NOT HAPPY!

So I spent time yesterday, surfing around, trying to figure out how to disable videos from automatically playing. I found an article here on iMore, but it didn't seem to work. So in desperation (ok, I admit I'm exaggerating a bit) I am posting this query in hopes that someone here will have a solution.

I am attempting to cover all bases- I have tweeted to Instagram on Twitter, and am currently drafting an email to Instagram support.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know respects Instagram your wishes in regard to audio.
If you open the Instagram app and don’t tap on a video, it will play muted.
Once you tap on the video, audio will sound.
Once you switch to another app and switch back to Instagram, videos will be muted again until you tap it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know respects Instagram your wishes in regard to audio.
If you open the Instagram app and don’t tap on a video, it will play muted.
Once you tap on the video, audio will sound.
Once you switch to another app and switch back to Instagram, videos will be muted again until you tap it.

This makes sense. I was definitely scrolling, so when I came across the video, it started to play automatically. I guess I could turn my volume down when I open the app. Thanks! :D

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
This makes sense. I was definitely scrolling, so when I came across the video, it started to play automatically. I guess I could turn my volume down when I open the app. Thanks! :D

You won’t have to. Videos play without sound unless you tap on the video.
I’d say, try it out now, while everyone is awake.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Annie try muting a video and then totally closing out IG. It’s supposed to stay on your last setting.

Som Kundu

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
With the new changes in Instagrams over recent past, there isn't a way to stop auto playing of videos (like it is possible in Facebook). You can still go to your Profile > Settings > Account > Mobile data Use and turn ON the "Use less data" option. Although it doesn't stop or change anything. More so if you are on Wifi then nothing happens either. For the sound in videos, you can tap on any video to mute it and subsequent all videos will remain muted. You can try to close Instagram and launch it back to check if videos still remain muted or not. For me it does

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
With the new changes in Instagrams over recent past, there isn't a way to stop auto playing of videos (like it is possible in Facebook). You can still go to your Profile > Settings > Account > Mobile data Use and turn ON the "Use less data" option. Although it doesn't stop or change anything. More so if you are on Wifi then nothing happens either. For the sound in videos, you can tap on any video to mute it and subsequent all videos will remain muted. You can try to close Instagram and launch it back to check if videos still remain muted or not. For me it does

Thanks for the tip!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You can't stop them from automatically playing, but if you mute one, they all stay muted until you unmute.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR