Does anyone else have to wake their iPhone XS Max in order for it to charge?

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
What I experience is when I plug it in it'll start charging but after sitting a few minutes my Max won't turn on while it's plugged in. I have to unplug it for the device to wake up.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lol no one here has the issue but Lou has the whole table of phones with the issue ...hahaha

Honestly fishy...

f8f859fe9f7173a0cf4f10a5b6e12c46.jpg

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly it may explain why there have been more returns this cycle. After some reading on Reddit I noticed there are a number of people having the issue. One fix seems to be going into Settings -> Face ID and Passcode -> turn on USB accessories. Not sure if this actually works since mine doesn’t seem to be affected. USB goes to sleep after an hour of the phone being idle so I may have to put it down and switch to the iPad for a while tonight to test this theory and see if I can replicate it. If it happens then it’s because of the accessory toggle.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
The only time I've noticed this is when I plug into the cable in my truck. I notice it then because carplay doesn't always launch right away. And just as stated in the video if I wake the phone or with recognize the charging cable and launch carplay.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
For those that say they don’t have the issue... have you tried locking the phone/turning the screen off and waiting at least a minute and then plugging in the charger without tapping on the screen or waking it in any way? That’s the only way I can duplicate the issue.

Since I have raised to wake turned on, I had to be very careful as not to wake my Xs Max after being sleep for awhile (minute+). I'm happy to report that plugging in and fast wireless charging worked flawlessly...but I will definitely keep an eye on it. For those that are having this problem, which iOS are you currently using? Did Beta iOS 12.1 fix this issue?

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Since I have raised to wake turned on, I had to be very careful as not to wake my Xs Max after being sleep for awhile (minute+). I'm happy to report that plugging in and fast wireless charging worked flawlessly...but I will definitely keep an eye on it. For those that are having this problem, which iOS are you currently using? Did Beta iOS 12.1 fix this issue?

Looks like it has to be at least an hour. Who knows though.

d49dca0fa31522647f78239c006da1bd.jpg

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I further did an experiment, I tried charging my iMax several times in my car and charging worked as normal. So, it might be affecting few phones as people are reporting it in the Apple forums.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting...then the experiment table lined up with iPhones would be incorrect. I have mine toggled off and still no problems...maybe I'm the one with a defective iPhone.

Mine is toggled off as well and I’ve never had any issues.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Mine does that. It won't charge if I put the cable into the phone when it's asleep. I have to wake the phone up in order to charge it up.

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
For those that say they don’t have the issue... have you tried locking the phone/turning the screen off and waiting at least a minute and then plugging in the charger without tapping on the screen or waking it in any way? That’s the only way I can duplicate the issue.

I’ve tried as you’ve outlined on my Max and it works fine. Once the charge cable is connected, it wakes and the lock screen appears with the battery icon showing percent charged. Then that goes away and I can see the lightening bolt in the status area next to the battery icon. All this is on the lock screen.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I just tried it again. My phone has been "off" for about 2.5 hours -- I'm not using my phone this evening -- and plugging it into the charger it immediately started charging.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Lol no one here has the issue but Lou has the whole table of phones with the issue ...hahaha

Honestly fishy...
I have the issue as you can read and finding out that several colleagues at work also have it after talking to them yesterday. We all have the Xs Max

Last edited:

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I installed iOS 12.1 beta and now my phone starts to charge as soon as I put the cable in the port so it really seems like a software problem

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2