Dodged the bullet this morning...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I work from home full time - my work laptop (Linux) sits on the "L" wing of my desk with my retina MacBook Pro on the opposite wing.

This morning I went into my office, fired everything up, and proceeded to knock over a glass of diet soda/water from the previous night - directly on my rMBP keyboard. After about 4 seconds of pure panic (seemed like hours), I hit the power button to turn it off. I unplugged the power cord and began wiping up the liquid. Next step was to turn the opened MBP upside down on a clean dry towel to drain. I pulled out my toolkit and removed the 10 pentalobe screws holding the MBP back in place and remove it. I continued drying any moisture that I could see, and set the opened laptop right side up on another clean, dry towel. The glass couldn’t have contained more than a few ounces of liquid, but as I cleaned up the mess, it seemed like 3 or 4 gallons.

Fearing the absolute worst case, I called Apple to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at my local Apple store. After the initial clean up I didn’t notice any more liquid pooling or dripping out of my MBP, but knew better than to succumb to the temptation to turn it on "just to see if it worked". After about 7 hours, I pulled out a can of compressed air and began blowing around inside the notebook, to see if there was any more liquid. I didn’t find any.

I let it sit on the towel for another 3 hours - continuing to check for wet spots. None were found. As a precaution, I let my wife know that we may be looking at a big repair bill and/or replacement cost for my MBP. In the conversation with the Apple support tech, he advised that the main logic board could run as much as $1000, and then there was the keyboard, and possibly untold internal damage, including the 16GB of RAM and the 768GB SSD (yeah, I maxed out on the upgrades)... so realizing that any repair could easily challenge the replacement cost, I was willing to just let it sit for a while.

After a total of 10 hours of sitting and "draining", with no visual confirmation of liquid still inside the laptop, I put the back back on the MBP, held my breath and pushed the power button. Voila! Everything has been working perfectly since (going on 2 hours now).

And I immediately declared my office to be a "no open container" zone. Only cups and glases with water-tight tops will be allowed in there from this point forward. And now I’m off to purchase some lottery tickets before my luck changes.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Dude! You were definitely lucky. Let me make a recommendation - Contego. They will not leak, drip, or spill. Even when you vigorously shake them upside down.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Dittos to Contego... fine stuff. If you want one without having to wait for shipping, they probably have them in your nearest Target store...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I find that the Tervis will leak, and I don't care for the feeling of drinking out of their lids. I use those without lids mostly (and am just very careful)!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a 22oz Contego today... Stainless Steel with a grey top... cool looking... and so far is quite good at keeping a cold drink cold - ice and all.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I got lazy... lately been drinking my coffee out of a regular mug type cup... and this morning the unthinkable happened, AGAIN. This time, it was a 1/2 full cup of black coffee - right on the rMBP keyboard... shut it down, took the back off, turn it upside (keyboard) down on a clean towel and waited... after about 5 hours, everything looked dry, felt dry and seemed good to go... reassembled it, hit the power button... and it’s been fine all day.

Going back to the Contego mugs... and heading out to buy some PowerBall tix before the luck runs out.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I got lazy... lately been drinking my coffee out of a regular mug type cup... and this morning the unthinkable happened, AGAIN. This time, it was a 1/2 full cup of black coffee - right on the rMBP keyboard... shut it down, took the back off, turn it upside (keyboard) down on a clean towel and waited... after about 5 hours, everything looked dry, felt dry and seemed good to go... reassembled it, hit the power button... and it’s been fine all day.

Going back to the Contego mugs... and heading out to buy some PowerBall tix before the luck runs out.

That would scare the crap out of me Fausty.

Good Luck

Optid

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I work from home full time - my work laptop (Linux) sits on the "L" wing of my desk with my retina MacBook Pro on the opposite wing.

This morning I went into my office, fired everything up, and proceeded to knock over a glass of diet soda/water from the previous night - directly on my rMBP keyboard. After about 4 seconds of pure panic (seemed like hours), I hit the power button to turn it off. I unplugged the power cord and began wiping up the liquid. Next step was to turn the opened MBP upside down on a clean dry towel to drain. I pulled out my toolkit and removed the 10 pentalobe screws holding the MBP back in place and remove it. I continued drying any moisture that I could see, and set the opened laptop right side up on another clean, dry towel. The glass couldn?t have contained more than a few ounces of liquid, but as I cleaned up the mess, it seemed like 3 or 4 gallons.

Fearing the absolute worst case, I called Apple to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at my local Apple store. After the initial clean up I didn?t notice any more liquid pooling or dripping out of my MBP, but knew better than to succumb to the temptation to turn it on "just to see if it worked". After about 7 hours, I pulled out a can of compressed air and began blowing around inside the notebook, to see if there was any more liquid. I didn?t find any.

I let it sit on the towel for another 3 hours - continuing to check for wet spots. None were found. As a precaution, I let my wife know that we may be looking at a big repair bill and/or replacement cost for my MBP. In the conversation with the Apple support tech, he advised that the main logic board could run as much as $1000, and then there was the keyboard, and possibly untold internal damage, including the 16GB of RAM and the 768GB SSD (yeah, I maxed out on the upgrades)... so realizing that any repair could easily challenge the replacement cost, I was willing to just let it sit for a while.

After a total of 10 hours of sitting and "draining", with no visual confirmation of liquid still inside the laptop, I put the back back on the MBP, held my breath and pushed the power button. Voila! Everything has been working perfectly since (going on 2 hours now).

And I immediately declared my office to be a "no open container" zone. Only cups and glases with water-tight tops will be allowed in there from this point forward. And now I?m off to purchase some lottery tickets before my luck changes.

Phew you got lucky. Good thing you waited number one mistake people try to turn it on to soon. I used to work at a big box electronics retailer and I saw it all day long.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods