Do you use a bluetooth headset?

Do you use a bluetooth headset regularly for phone calls or listening to music?

• Yes, when possible.

Votes: 68 62.4%
  • No, it is uncomfortable.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • No, it makes me look silly.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • No, sound quality is not good.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • No, too expensive.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • No, for another reason or multiple reasons listed above (clarify in your post)

Votes: 21 19.3%

• Total voters

croush

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Two headsets, and why I use them.

I have two (one's actually intended for my wife's use in the car), and I'll continue to use them for two reasons:

1. The volume on my iPhone speaker is deplorable, EVEN after adjusting the "85%" setting in the phone's subsystem. Any headset beats the required mashing of my ears to clearly hear a caller while in the car or outside.

2. Convenience and safety. If I'm driving a distance, the headset is on the dash. Why on the dash? Because it takes me three seconds to see the call incoming (headset flashing), press the answer key, and stick it in my ear. I'm floored at how many people gripe about the discomfort while never removing the thing. I never wear a headset unless I'm on a call (with one exception--I'll get to that). Shove a pencil up your nose and see if it bothers you after hours on end; no matter how cushy, it will. Solution? remove the pencil, unless it's serving a purpose there.

The exception: If it's impossible or impractical to remove the headset, I leave it in. Two examples:

1. I wear a headset while on long rides (bicycle). I ride to work, on errands, and for leisure, sometimes for hours at a time. My wife and mother both have sensitive medical conditions, and I never trust the weather enough to keep my phone handy. Phone in saddle bag, headset on head. I answer every call, and IMMEDIATELY establish that I'm in the saddle and, unless it's life-or-death, cannot talk. The last thing I want to see on the road is some jackass screaming over the wind into his headset while he plows into my rear tire, so if I need to talk I'll pull off and finish up.

2. I'll occasionally headset up if I'm getting dirty and expecting a call. Planting in the garden, servicing the bicycle, doing dishes--one press with the back of the hand, and I'm on the call. No soapy / gritty / greasy iPhone.

On to the goods: I believe in thrift. As such, both of the headsets we own were bargains. One moreso, and the quality shows for the price:

Jabra BT2010. It's small, capable, and matches the phone. Noise cancellation is s-so, BUT it has one major advantage: it charges via USB-micro! So, anywhere my phone can be charged, so too can the headset. Work computer? Check. Apple wall wart? Check. Belkin USB iPhone charger for car? Check. Fit's fine, though it took me a couple of tries to realize it's intended for the right ear, meaning a swap to the left leaves the volume buttons inverted. Up is down, and so on. $7 shipped--a price that makes me less nervous when tossing it into my bag for the day.

The Plantronics Explorer 350 is our car-based headset, and it's quite nice. I found it on Amazon for cheap, and do like it. Solid build quality, with good noise cancellation, and nice specs (though some aren't iPhone-friendly until 3.1 3GS). I reviewed it on Amazon, if you're looking for more in-depth. $25 shipped.

Until my iPhone's 50% louder, or I quit driving alltogether, I'll be using a headset.

misstaken

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm a late convert, but i've become a big fan of the Jawbone. It's really helpful when driving, or when i'm typing and can't/don't want to hold the phone up to talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Any time I know a phone call will go on beyond an hour, I use my Latte Mocha bluetooth headset. I love how you can turn on your headset mid-phone call. I wasn't able to do that with my last phone.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
BT headset is my preferred way to use any phone. I have three in regular use.
All are Plantronics. Two are in ear, and two are stereo.

james048a

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have 2 pair of the Altec Lansing Backbeat 906's. For me they are awesome, as i can wear them all day long listing to music, and make and receive calls with out taking them off. And when im listing to music and someone next to me start talking to me i dont have to take them off, i push one buttom and they go into open mic, so the mics transfers the audio to the speakers. They also incorporate Plantronics dual-mic AudioIQ technology. The only problem i do have is battery life, only last 7 hours playing music, but thats why i bought 2 pairs.

Oh i forgot to say that when your on a call you hear the person in both ears not just in one.

Last edited:

ciocpa

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I've only had one BT headset, and it was a cheap Motorola. I'm looking for one now for my iPhone, and really can't make up my mind. I'd like stereo for music, but I also like the smaller profile headsets... Ah wonderful indecision...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes I use it while driving or doing something around the house and need to keep my hands free. I also use bluetooth headphones while listening to music so I dont have wires dangling.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
@ watcher my BT headset does that too. You are right it is very convenient to just open it up and the phone automatically transfers the audio. No fuss

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
No, because I don't talk on my phone much. If I get a call while I'm driving, it can wait until I can find some place to stop.

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I've used several over the years with different phones etc. I almost use the headset so I can be handsfree to do other things.

My current favorite and best I've had is the Jawbone Prime. Voice quality is very good and noise reduction is very effective and transparent to the person you are talking too. Battery life is not good though. Maybe 2 hours?

I also have a Plantronics 520 Explorer it sounds good and battery lasts a long tome but it's not good in noisy areas.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
I am using my first gen Motorola S9's with the 3GS. The Moto's sound great, have a strong connection with the 3GS and overall the combo works well. The only thing I miss is the AVCRP commands which (hopefully) Apple adds in a subsequent update.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm, lots of people seem to use them. :) Maybe I will have to bite the bullet, buy a nice one (no $14.99 from Meritline or something) and see how it works.

Chris

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I used to use one BT headsets for years until they finally started effecting my hearing. I now have Tinnitus. Save your hearing!!

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
No: because there isn't any good water/sweat proof A2DP set. The only one guaranteeing this is the Jaybird, which is not the most comfortable design ot has the best sound quality. I like that it is over-the-ear, though.

Motorola S9 is not truly waterproof. and it is uncomfortable (try resting your head on a pillow or car headrest).

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I use one all the time. My apartment has terrible reception, so I place the phone in the one area I know I have reception and the talk on the phone. I alternate between a Platronics Discovery 925 and Jawbone 2.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I've got my jawbone. I only really use it in the car, though I've found myself using it more and more.

The ear hook is starting to fall apart though, might be time for a new jawbone anyways, it's been 3 years lol.

iamunderdawg

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I just returned the Motorola S9-HD, just felt to bulky and over priced via Bestbuy. Located a set of Altec Lansing Backbeat 903 on Ebay for 44.00 and free shipping. In a few days time will tell.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox