Do you think the Phone wars are ending?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I get that, but this IS iMore. I could understand that sentiment if the article was plastered on the front of Android Central. Speaking only for myself, I tend to purchase whatever smartphone I think is going to do what I want it to do. Sometimes that may be a Samsung or Motorola device. More often than not, I prefer iPhone. I still read and participate in both forums where I feel I can contribute and/or learn something. I've pointed new readers in this direction on more than one occasion. The overwhelming response is that the comments section is a major turnoff.

Comments section on the blog page?

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I've never had that problem because I use both. Back when I was a "gamer" I always owned all of the consoles. I found it to be cheaper than buying a true gaming PC. In my experience, these so called "wars" were for people that can only afford one platform. Because of this, their ignorance always tends to show.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I get that, but this IS iMore. I could understand that sentiment if the article was plastered on the front of Android Central. Speaking only for myself, I tend to purchase whatever smartphone I think is going to do what I want it to do. Sometimes that may be a Samsung or Motorola device. More often than not, I prefer iPhone. I still read and participate in both forums where I feel I can contribute and/or learn something. I've pointed new readers in this direction on more than one occasion. The overwhelming response is that the comments section is a major turnoff.

I'm going to try to turn us back to topic.

I think the tech blog/journalist community does try to satisfy their viewership. Some of that population like and want reinforcement of their buying decisions, and not necessarily in a balanced way. Phone wars are good business for them. People seeking validation, as well as celebration for their choices, help make them all money.

Personally, I prefer balance like you. My time in Mobile Nations sites is probably split 50% AC / 35% iMore / 15% WC because I like to keep up with major technology developments. Across all of them, though, there are the "fanboys (and fangirls)" in the comment sections that are so staunch in their thirst for validation that they can get a bit overzealous with some of their comments. Some bloggers/journalists choose to feed that beast.

Keeping people like that, people who want to continue to debate a phone's quality measurements even all the way down to the symmetry of ports, engaged is just "good business". For me, the debate is a bit long in the tooth.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've never had that problem because I use both. Back when I was a "gamer" I always owned all of the consoles. I found it to be cheaper than buying a true gaming PC. In my experience, these so called "wars" were for people that can only afford one platform. Because of this, their ignorance always tends to show.

It's always nice to have access to both OS.
I wanted to do that a few years ago and just have both iOS and Android as my daily.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I think what the industry needs is a third major player. I know that Windows Phone has fallen off dramatically but if they ever produce (and MARKET) a good phone with all the apps people demand, I think the phone wars could heat up again.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think what the industry needs is a third major player. I know that Windows Phone has fallen off dramatically but if they ever produce (and MARKET) a good phone with all the apps people demand, I think the phone wars could heat up again.

That would be great. Competition is almost always good for the consumer. The more major players, the more the phone manufacturers push themselves. It’s really unfortunate that Microsoft fell off of the mobile bandwagon. It’s really hurt them.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
That would be great. Competition is almost always good for the consumer. The more major players, the more the phone manufacturers push themselves. It’s really unfortunate that Microsoft fell off of the mobile bandwagon. It’s really hurt them.

Indeed. I am hoping the same. I believe MS will re-enter mobile. There's a pretty good article on WC that shows a path for them to get there through the Surface brand with a little help from Apple here.

I believe that's their next window of opportunity. Hopefully, they'll get it off the drawing board and get it into the marketplace.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think people develop a preference and go on with their lives.
I used to be a phone junkie. Now I've got other interests.
I visit the forums sporadically. Right now I'm visiting because I'm looking forward to the next iPhone and I'm looking for rumours and leaks.
Aside from that, I made my choice about what.....five years ago? Totally happy now.
There was so much I missed while debating phones. For me, in my life, Apple won the wars. Now on to other stuff.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think people develop a preference and go on with their lives.
I used to be a phone junkie. Now I've got other interests.
I visit the forums sporadically. Right now I'm visiting because I'm looking forward to the next iPhone and I'm looking for rumours and leaks.
Aside from that, I made my choice about what.....five years ago? Totally happy now.
There was so much I missed while debating phones. For me, in my life, Apple won the wars. Now on to other stuff.

Hi Qbnkelt. Good to see you posting every now and then. Yes , most of us have other interest as well, but it's still nice to hang out on iMore sometimes. There are some debates that will be around forever and I personally think "phone wars" is one of them...LOL

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As a dual user myself, I'm not sure what the big debate is about anymore. I heavily use a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and a 2017 iPad. iOS and Android are both mature, have great support, and are very capable.

In my opinion, the experience between the two is quite similar. You can't go wrong no matter which you prefer and use!

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft can't build a new market or reinvent a mobile device and win...To late. When they "reinvented" or "reinvigorated" the hybrid space, they were mostly competing with other companies that mostly used Windows OS anyways. Almost all windows computers out there are some type hybrid now because of MS.

Mobile 'phone' competition is a whole different world that they practically don't exist in and the masters are Apple and Android. MS may make a more hybrid phone-tablet (or however you want to describe it) but if it's worthy to buy, it will just show Android or Apple where to focus their efforts next.

That will help us reap the benefits of competition. I'll need to thank MS as I go buy the competing Apple product.

The war isn't really about 'phones' anymore and I don't know if it really has been for the last few years. Who really buys a phone based on its phone capabilities anymore? It's all smaller mobile computing that you can make phones calls in now.

Courtney H

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
There will always be a war beteen andriod and iphone it will always continue, one trying to outsmart the other and making the newest model bigger and better from the simplicity of texting to all out Artificial war (AI) in future phones which is obviously going to the the next stage in the evolution of technology, then as we know it the whole planitary contact will be controlled with somethig that is in theory a hive mind, i also think that it will go as far as it bcoming dangerous, no more secret, no more privacy, no more nothing without anyone finding out what you are doing, and that in its self is a breech of privacy, but hey id love to know everyone elses views on this as it is somthing i find very very interesting.
SIDE NOTE: my father still has problems with the knots in the string between his two tins.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it's quite what it used to be. Many people have settled on one or the other. The back and forth between fans will go on though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73