Do you think the 3G will sell out?

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Nope I don't. I think there will be more than enough to go around. Especially since news came of Apple uping orders, they are preparing for the onslaught of customers. I don't think people will need to wait in line order.

Personally, I overheard (alright... I was secretly spying on) the Apple guys who were huddled in the corner of the store yesterday and they complaining that they were all soooo confused. They were unsure if they were doing in store activations and wanted to know what was going on. They thought the whole thing was a mess. They were asking each other all kinds of questions like... do we have to know rate plans? What do we have to learn? (And weren't all too thrilled about it).
I, especially since I will be porting three numbers, will be going to an AT&T store because I think the wait will be less just because of the fact that the AT&T employees know what they are doing when it comes to rate plans/data plans/answering questions about coverage/etc.etc.
I have a feeling there will be problems at the Apple stores and the employees will constantly be referring to manuals and calling AT&T customer support. If I were upgrading I think I would go straight to Apple but those who are switching carriers may want to think twice. (Those who want to be in a line that might go faster may want to think about it as well).
Any thoughts? Does anyone else have any insight to what Apple is going to do with in store activations and what that might mean in terms of waiting in a lonnnnnggg line?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I didn't know the Apple store was doing in store activations. I was just thinking, I wish Apple let other stores carry their iPhones. I think the lines wouldn't be so bad if there was more places to go to get them.

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I plan on getting mine a week or so after the launch at my local Apple store (Los Angeles). I expect Apple to monitor the units of sale figures at the stores very closely and react to the inventory level of Apple stores accordingly.

neolite

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I don't think its going to be sold out, with the shortage that apple introduced over the past few months really cutting into its sales goals. I think that they will do everything they can to make sure LOTS of units get out there. Even with the first model you could easily get it the week it came out with no worries. Maybe just one or two stops to the apple stores.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I hope the seeming consensus of "no sell out" is right, but the recent warning from Samsung about flash shortage because of an apple "reorder" doubling the demand makes me wonder how many units are currently in the pipeline, particularly given the world wide launch. Sure hope I'm not left with a "waiting for the next shipment" problem.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
hopefully. at least its only a 200-300 dollar loss.. i mean i would've been pissed off if i had bought the first iphone. oh my heart might've failed

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I have an AT&T store literally right next to where I work and I happen to be coming in to work at 8 every day so I'm going to scout out the line (if there is one) and plan accordingly. Does anyone think it would be possible that there would still be a line by 12 PM (when I get lunch)? I'm hoping for the best. Worst case scenario: I'll have to wait until the end of the day or the next. It doesn't seem so bad now but it might be more torturous once I know they're actually on the shelves. :-(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have an AT&T store literally right next to where I work and I happen to be coming in to work at 8 every day so I'm going to scout out the line (if there is one) and plan accordingly. Does anyone think it would be possible that there would still be a line by 12 PM (when I get lunch)? I'm hoping for the best. Worst case scenario: I'll have to wait until the end of the day or the next. It doesn't seem so bad now but it might be more torturous once I know they're actually on the shelves. :-(

This is just me but I do not see long lines at every store around... I can see a few of the larger Apple stores getting lines but this will not be as big as the first iPhone release.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
This is just me but I do not see long lines at every store around... I can see a few of the larger Apple stores getting lines but this will not be as big as the first iPhone release.

I'd have to agree here. Not a lot of people outside the blogosphere around here even know that a new iPhone was actually announced!

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I'd have to agree here. Not a lot of people outside the blogosphere around here even know that a new iPhone was actually announced!

Ha ha ha - they just learned form the last go round that you could still pick one up the first day after the fanboys cleared out of line.:cool:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ha ha ha - they just learned form the last go round that you could still pick one up the first day after the fanboys cleared out of line.:cool:

Exactly... Seriously why would anyone wait in line for a full 24 hours is beyond me. When you can walk in a few hours later and walk right out. To each his own I suppose.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site

I'm telling my friend about how I'm getting the new iPhone next week and she's like, "There's a NEW iPhone out already?!".

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Exactly... Seriously why would anyone wait in line for a full 24 hours is beyond me. When you can walk in a few hours later and walk right out. To each his own I suppose.

To be honest, I waited a few hours in line for the midnight release of GTA IV. :p

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
To be honest, I waited a few hours in line for the midnight release of GTA IV. :p

Well then that's ok... :D

I need to pick up a 3g for my girlfriend on the 11th, I have a feeling I'm gonna swing by the closest at&t store on the way to work at 8... walk in... walk right out. Again I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Well then that's ok... :D

I need to pick up a 3g for my girlfriend on the 11th, I have a feeling I'm gonna swing by the closest at&t store on the way to work at 8... walk in... walk right out. Again I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I have two AT&T stores and the Apple store in close proximity of each other. So I'm hoping someone will still be in stock around 1:30.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have two AT&T stores and the Apple store in close proximity of each other. So I'm hoping someone will still be in stock around 1:30.

I have 3 close at&t stores, closest being 5 minutes away. And 2 Apple stores both 15 minutes away each. I should be safe. :D

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I waited from 10 pm til 9 am in sub-freezing temperatures in front of CompUSA to get an xbox 360. It was literally the only place where the amount of people in line didn't outnumber the amount of systems they had in stock for the launch. I was number 7 out of 9 they were getting (premium systems that is). So a little wait for the iPhone won't deter me in the least but I'd LOVE to just go in and activate mine before going into work and being even less productive than I am now while playing with my new gadget.

Not to diverge from the topic too much, but does anyone know if At&t stores carry any quality accessories (cases/screen protectors) for the iPhone and presumably iPhone 3G? I'm on the fence about the options online but if I can get one that day to coincide with me finally getting the device and have it on before I leave the store that would be ideal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox