Do you think that using an Android device by people who work with the public is a mistake?

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
So I work in Real Estate and think using an Android device is a mistake for those who do. Here is why:

iMessage...this allows you to know if the recipient received or read your message. iMessage allows you to know if you have connected with a cell phone many times by turning the bubble blue. iMessage is used by the majority of the people I communicate with both personally and professionally. I feel there truly is a stigma associated with being the green bubble. When you message and the message is blue you truly feel good you have the correct mobile number, when its green you don't know if you messaged a landline or and Android. You can transfer full quality files. If you use a Mac you are able to message from it which I do nearly as much as I do from my iPhone. Your phone ringing from the kitchen and you are in your office? No problem, answer it from your Mac.

There is no draw back...in other words with an iPhone you can communicate in any way and Android can as well. Both this does not hold true the other way around.

Facetime....I Facetime with clients very frequently. If you are in the business of communicating with the public and you don't have the tools to communicate the most convenient way for your clients, you have a problem. If my client used an Android, no problem, I can use any video call app he/she uses most likely. If my client has an iPhone every time it will be Facetime which had I used an Android would leave me asking a client to download some third party app (not good).

One more thing. Lets say you use an iPhone now. You decide to go Android and turn off facetime and imessage to make the switch. You will lose contact with people. When the othr person replies to your message thread that was used through imessage its likely you wont get it on your new Android. I found this out the hard way when I sat down at my Mac later in the afternoon and opened my computer to see messages on my Mac I never received on my Android. The old thread would have to be deleted on the other persons phone and they would have to re text you which is not an option when dealing with a high number of prospects, clients etc.

I know you all know what an iPhone/Mac does but my point is if you work with the public in a way that I do, going Android is a mistake.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: For those who work with the public

Thanks for this! It's thorough and well written and gives one a lot to think about!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I don't know that I would call it a mistake. I would call it more a convenience using an iPhone. I work for many years in the emergency rescue field as an EMT/firefighter. I fully understand where you're coming from. Virtually everyone in my fire hall used an iPhone when they were posted to the ambulance.

The use of an iPhone worked really well when having to communicate in emergency situations. I could talk face to face with a doctor if I needed to and very quickly. Facetime was perfect for showing a doctor an injury so they could see exactly what we were dealing with.

Being able to see a message had been marked read was a real advantage. The iPhone really had its advantages. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike androids in any way at all. There are some really nice android phones out there. I owned the Galaxy S8 Plus and it was a great device. It did lack though in emergency situation where your hands could very well be tied up. And now paired with AirPods it's even better. a quick finger tap and Siri can do things for me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
For those who work with the public

iMessage is a convenience. Albeit, in my opinion, a great one. They same with FaceTime. However, there is a solid reason there are more Android devices in use than iPhones. Right now, I prefer iOS and definitely see the benefit of iMessage. Apple is giving nothing away, at all, and one pays for the convenience of iMessage. However, one can go to many an retailer and fine a plethora of economically priced or flagship-class Android devices that can and are used communicate just fine.

Apple makes it all easy but, that can’t effectively be denied, but there is a higher cost associated with that ease-of-use and to some, that higher cost isn’t negligible.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I worked with the public for around 6 years and through that entire time I used Android. I never, not once, had an issue communicating. I'm glad your set up works for you. But there are definitely effective ways to communicate that don't require or necessitate the use of an iPhone. In todays world of technology, communication is by far the easiest its ever been.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

iMessage...this allows you to know if the recipient received or read your message. iMessage allows you to know if you have connected with a cell phone many times by turning the bubble blue.

And yet I still have friends and coworkers tell me "no, I never received your text message". Then I show them my screen where it says READ and the time it was read.

The look on their faces:

PRICELESS

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

And yet I still have friends and coworkers tell me "no, I never received your text message". Then I show them my screen where it says READ and the time it was read.

The look on their faces:

PRICELESS

I turned off “send read receipts” off in the settings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I don’t think that using an Android in business is a mistake. There are 3rd-party apps and numerous online services that greatly assist with business needs. At my office, we have a good mixture of both Android and iOS devices and they greatly assist in helping those who use them get the job done.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site

iMessage is a convenience. Albeit, in my opinion, a great one. They same with FaceTime. However, there is a solid reason there are more Android devices in use than iPhones. Right now, I prefer iOS and definitely see the benefit of iMessage. Apple is giving nothing away, at all, and one pays for the convenience of iMessage. However, one can go to many an retailer and fine a plethora of economically priced or flagship-class Android devices that can and are used communicate just fine.

Apple makes it all easy but, that can’t effectively be denied, but there is a higher cost associated with that ease-of-use and to some, that higher cost isn’t negligible.

iPhones start brand new for $349. I really don't know of a $350 Android worth turning on, you have to spend $500.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

iPhones start brand new for $349. I really don't know of a $350 Android worth turning on, you have to spend $500.

To me, there are several. A $150 Huawei Honor 6x or a $200 Moto G5 Plus or a $280 Moto X4.

The thing, for me is, there are these choices and I believe there are a lot of them with Android. To me, many surpass an iPhone SE.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site

A friend of mine recently said this:

"People trust BLUE texts. Green texts mean "everything but iphone."

When someone with an iPhone receives a blue text, it screams "not automated". Green texts mean "I don't know if this is automated."

In business it matters!

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Axon 7, HTC U11 Life android one version, Moto G5 Plus ($299).

Never had an issue getting messages when switching between iOS and Android. I switch a few times a week.

As for it being a “mistake”. Not in the least. I work in the automotive field. I deal with every automotive company and testing firm in the market. From Japan to Detroit over to California and back to Germany. Out of all the companies I deal with very few people use iPhones, especially those overseas. The most popular phones I come in contact with are the Note series. Still a ton of Note 5’s and most commonly Note 8’s. The s-pen offers too many advantages over hand typing a note during a design meeting or machining consultation.

Praying for the day iMessages comes to Android so my family can get off my case when my bubbles are green. Until then, I switch devices alot and sometimes use T-Mobile digits in the Note while tethering off the iPhone for data.

As for video conferencing, the go to is Skype. I dont think Ive ever facetimed with a client. In fact I know I havent.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
My point is the iPhone will message/communicate in anyway an Android can but an Android can't message in any way an iPhone can. Because of this, IMO, not having iMessage and Facetime as an option to communicate to those who wish to use those forms to communicate is a mistake.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods