Do you miss a touchscreen?

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm considering switching from a Windows laptop with a touchscreen to a Mac. I don't use it often, but I enjoying having a touchscreen when I need it (such as browsing the web on the couch, scrolling while cooking, etc.).

Has anyone recently made the switch? Is it worth not having a touch screen?

(BTW I don't want an iPad and a laptop--I just want a laptop.)

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Having a iPhone and an iPad (touch devices) does not negate my enjoyment of using my MacBook at all. Even if I had come over from using a Windows touchscreen laptop, I doubt it would affect my usage. They're not the same, and I wouldn't approach using them in the same manner.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
One cannot miss what one never had. Like D, both my iPhone and iPad have touch screens, but I don't see the need on a laptop or desktop computer.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I switched from a Dell XPS M1530 which is a non touchscreen to a Dell XPS 18 which is a touchscreen. I prefer the touchscreen. So my answer I would miss a touchscreen.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My parents had a touchscreen Windows desktop for a couple of years. It was cool to use at first, but added nothing to the overall experience once the novelty wore off.

I'm sure it's different on a laptop that's a little closer to your fingers, but the trackpads on Macs are already so good for scrolling that you may not miss it much. If it's any consolation, my dad just upgraded to an iMac and doesn't miss his old touchscreen desktop at all.

ajorourke

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The short answer for me is 'Yes'

The long answer is -
I have recently bought a macbook pro 13 (the latest 2015 edition with the highest specs you can get in a store). I have come from a surface pro 2, which I found a little bit too small.

The reason I chose a macbook is the ability to run both os x and windows. There are some very simple things that you just can't do as easily in os x as you can in windows (e.g. load a video file to an android tablet). OS X is better for video editing etc which I do a little bit of.

I am constantly trying to press the screen, there are so many websites these days that are built with touch in mind that I am now instinctively trying to use the screen to navigate websites. This is really the only time I do this, I don't try to use the non-touch screen with applications it tends to always be websites.

I do not regret my purchase through, if you're buying a laptop you're likely looking to use it as a laptop rather than a tablet. If you want the best of both, I would suggest getting one of the many windows convertibles out there. The Surface Pro 3 is a great machine, I didn't get one because I felt I would be getting something that would be outdated within a few months.

Hope this helps!

iPad Retina

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I find touch screen laptops very annoying, it's a laptop not a tablet. From my perspective. I find that they try to be to fancy fancy with it

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I hate touch screen laptops. I do not miss it coming from a laptop with one to a MacBook Pro. The trackpad is everything that the touch screen is and more.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The trackpad is pretty nice and it has a lot of different settings. You'll get used to it. I went from not knowing how to use a Mac to being a 'power user' with it in just 1 day. It's extremely easy to use and know the difference trackpad command swipes.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I've never had any interest in putting finger prints on my screen. A mouse and touchpad are just fine with me but I may just be old school.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I do not like touchscreen laptops and desktops. I have enough problems keeping fingerprint smudges off my screens (seriously, how do they get on my thunderbolt display?!) without me purposely jamming my finger grease all over them.

That said, I do really like the Asus T100 and wish there was an iPad like that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77