Do you ever consider going back to a Windows machine?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol. I'm cheap, too, but I really don't like Windows. In our house, we have one copy of Windows running on a virtual machine off of my husband's Linux box. He only uses it for work purposes. I have my MBP and iPad for personal use. I do use Windows at work, but that's bc that's what we have here.
Using Windows in a VM is not the same experience as using Windows on a modern Windows PC designed for Windows 10, with a good Mic for Cortana, an Intel RealSense Camera, and CPU/GPU supported by DX12, among other things.

It's not the same if you want a well-rounded UX. A VM is good enough for work, though.

You can run macOS in a VM as well, but I still don't think it's the same as running it on a bona fide Mac.

I use both OSes. macOS Sierra on my iMac and Windows 10 on my Notebook. I don't necessarily have a preference, but I do think Windows has a huge advantage in Software. Since I've gotten my Mac, 90% of my software purchases have still been for Windows, because the software offers more for cheaper costs than comparable Mac software. You can also find almost anything on Windows, while the same isn't true for macOS. There are really good Prosumer options on Windows - a huge market for that, while the macOS is truly lacking in that regard.

I do think some of the built-in Mac software is better than what Microsoft is packaging with Windows (iWork, iMovie/GarageBand), but you can get WordPerfect Office H&S, PaintShop Pro/Video Studio, ACID/Sound Forge Studio for less than the price difference between a Mac and a Windows PC; and that's better than Apple's preloaded software; by a long shot. It really comes down to what you do with your PC, and if you are willing to live with the weaker app ecosystem (which may not affect you if you use primarily Adobe and Microsoft Office apps, for example, as those are available on both platforms.

Apart from that, I really think it's at the point where you need to test each OS on hardware designed for it, because it makes a big difference on the user experience. Windows laptops today are very different in spec and performance (i.e. battery life) than they were 2-3 years ago.

I'm about ready to upgrade my laptop, and I'm 100% going Windows for that. The value is too good for the price, thanks to competition in that ecosystem. If I can sell my iMac, I might replace that with a Windows Desktop, as well, for the same reason. So easy to upgrade, and they seem to be putting a lot more into their desktop OS than Apple intends to - for the foreseeable future.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You must have an old Mac ��
New ones are great!

I will never buy another AiO PC again, ever. I think for $1,299+, a PC needs to be a bit more upgradeable after the fact.

Never again, so Windows is my only choice moving forward on the desktop.

For Laptops, the price differential is an issue for Apple. The Laptops are fairly stagnant in usability and they haven't really put much work into macOS. It feels dated. Also, Windows' app ecosystem is baller. You can buy software that is one version old for almost nothing on Amazon, and it still does 100% more than you need because there is barely anything to add to them these days (i.e. Adobe, Corel, Sony offerings).

You can save hundreds of dollars just on the software, and that's before you even get to the ridiculous hardware cost disparities.

blueshift22

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a PC (custom built) because I'm a VR enthusiast and at the moment Apple can't really help me in that department. That said... I loathe Windows... in my opinion, Microsoft really lost there way in terms of User Experience after Windows 8... Windows 10 is a slight improvement... but brutal compared to MacOS.

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I am a mechanical engineer and many softwares that I use have no mac alternative so I have to no choice but to use my windows workstation. Other than everything is done on my macbook pro.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
the fact that i have to use windows at work annoys me. i would absolutely never would use windows at home.

Had to help my wife troubleshoot her work laptop the other day (wouldn't connect to wifi) and it was very foreign, even after working on a PC at my office. Eventually got it working but wow it was harder than it needed to be. Wouldn't even connect using ethernet :-\

mellonxcollie

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I switched from OSX to Windows 7 ages ago, and it was fine. I actually really liked Windows 8/8.1. But I dislike Windows 10 SO MUCH. It has me seriously considering going back to OSX.

In my opinion, the only benefits of running a Windows machine is better bang for your buck, and gaming.

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I once thanked Microsoft for screwing up so much with Windows Vista. Had it not been for the worst experience with constant crashing on my Dell XPS 12" notebook that cost me $2000, I would've never stumbled into an Apple Store back in February 2007 and picked up my first MacBook that had the same specs for $1200.

When I realized that I never rebooted my MacBook the first month and a half I owned it, I knew how stable the interplay of its hardware and software was.

It's taken me over 9 years for me to even think about reconsidering, after the relatively disappointing specs of the newest MacBook Pro, compared to the Surface Studio. Granted, they are two different beasts altogether, but I do agree with some in the community that the folks at Redmond showed some real and bold innovation for creative users such as myself. And the fact that it's a Microsoft hardware and software device shows that they're finally understanding the importance of stability and the user experience with the proper interplay of hardware and software.

Of course, I'm still so tied to the intricacies and nuances of the iOS and macOS platforms that it'll be hard for me to break away, even if I wanted to.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
No, will never do windows again if at all possible. Mac OS and hardware are superior

This ^^^^

I feel this way as well right now. Went back to the surface for a little bit a year ago and hated it (windows). I guess I'll never say never but not likely.

Andoresu47

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
The surface book (as of now, cause at the beginning it had many glitches) is one amazing computer. If you were to replace your macbook for a windows machine, look no further, that's the one.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking at the Surface Pro 4 (?) - looks awfully nice but I seem to be so tied in to the iOS ecosystem that it might be problematic. Mainly photos and iMessage.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
For gaming Windows is king, hands down. Other than that, I think the OS you use is becoming less important over time. I go between Linux (mostly eOS and Ubuntu), Windows 10 (although I loved 7, and loathed 8), and Mac OS. So much legacy stuff is on Windows it keeps many of us there. But with the age of the internet, you can get what you need when you want it from any OS. What once locked you in, had become a matter of preference for UI and hardware. IBM just did this big thing that Mac users and hardware required less tech support than PC. But that was for regular office workers, not tech enthusiast.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been a long-time DOS/Windows user (which ages me a bit :p), and still use it for work. Up until 3 years ago, the only dabbling with Mac was using a Macintosh back in college for research, and using a PowerPC (Power Macintosh) series during grad school. While I was working at an internet company (they only used MacBooks at the office), I got hooked and bought a MacBook Pro (2011 15"), and maxed out the RAM and put in a SSD. I retired my Windows desktop earlier this year, turning my home office into a hub. I've gotten my wife hooked recently by getting her a MacBook Air when she's on the go, leaving her Windows laptop at her store.

If I were to upgrade from my current MBP, the only Windows PC's I could consider if I were buying today are the HP Spectre, or the Surface Book. For the money, I probably should lean towards either of them vs. a 2016 MacBook Pro on specs alone, but the Windows OS (even on 10) has been hit-and-miss for me for years. For me anyways, there's even Chrome OS to consider, but if I go that route, I'll likely keep my MBP for awhile longer and stays at home, while the Chromebook (which soon will have Android apps) could be my on-the-go option. That then would give me some time to wait until the Power Bar optioned MacBook Pros flesh out in the next couple of years.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I am now Mac all the way. I just got tired of trouble shooting Windows problems. So I would never go back. Though I do like the Surface Book...

Posted via the iMore App for Android

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Used Windows OS and phones for years; still do use the OS on my laptop. My 6s+ is my first iPhone and I like it so far. It's my daily driver but I also have a Lumia 650 as a backup. Like the tiles and once, if it ever happens, the app gap is closed on WP I might go back. Old habits are hard to break.

lelo626

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I could ever truly go back. I just love Mac OS too much even though I have to use windows every now and then.

dionhan

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I used windows for almost 10 years. Then I got my first macbook and changed my mind completely. I don't want to use windows anymore for normal usage. Only if I need to have some kind of software that can only be installed on a windows computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox