• Tim Cook says I don't need it... so I don't

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
HID, the company that makes proximity security cards just announced they will be supporting Blackberry's NFC. I suspect they don't want to touch Android yet since the security on those is scary. But I'm sure they will also take on Windows Phone 8. Every other platform has NFC, too bad Apple skipped it.

This is common with most security access scenarios...emails, text communications, proxy cards...they've had RIM focusing on this kind of thing for the better part of the last decade, no real surprise they went the same route there. We are just now getting our hands on Android devices and iPhone's in the federal government for basic communication purposes.

Apple has never been known to jump on a new tech just because of hype...NFC just isn't solid enough yet, and when it is, you can rest assured Apple will polish up their NFC option on the iPhone and offer it to it's consumer base. Hell, it took them a while to get into the MMS world, and that was quite solidified when they finally offered it on the 3G.

Let's be honest here, while you might find NFC a really cool feature, anyone that isn't purely bullish*ting can admit that the technology is barely in the crawling state right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I remember people saying the same thing about bluetooth back in the day. :D

Yes, and at the time, that is how they felt about it. It didn't mean that they never found uses for it later on and I'm sure I will no different with NFC...later on....:D

flyersfan76

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
HID, the company that makes proximity security cards just announced they will be supporting Blackberry's NFC. I suspect they don't want to touch Android yet since the security on those is scary. But I'm sure they will also take on Windows Phone 8. Every other platform has NFC, too bad Apple skipped it.

Just annouced?

They talked about it months ago.

Not sure how ready they are as I have read that HID's normal sensor is not the same as NFC but they are moving to make them compatible.

Either way I can't wait.

I haven't used NFC much and have had it for 1 year. I would love for my phone to have a credit card on just as a back up.

Imagine forgetting your wallet and you need fuel in your vehicle really bad. All the retail fuel dispensers that I use have the technology.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and at the time, that is how they felt about it. It doesn't mean that they never found uses for it later on and I'm sure I will no different with NFC...later on....:D

Agreed, Bluetooth was absolute crap when it was first introduced, shoddy connections, ridiculous looking ear pieces, components that you spent hours to connect to only to have it disconnect when you were finally enjoying the convenience...it took a while to polish that turd up and make it into something people were able to happily use with little fuss and enjoy the gains of convenience (and safety).

NFC is EXACTLY the same...this is a convenience factor for many people, who wouldn't want to enjoy buying a coke at a machine without the need for exact change or carrying around cash (i personally never carry cash anymore, and can't remember the last time i bought a soda from a machine because of such). I'm really excited about the idea of being able to cut down on the need to have so many things connected to my bank, i have a debit card, a bank credit card, a check book in case a place doesn't take credit cards, etc etc etc...how nice to be able to stream line everything into such an easy place as a phone that you pretty much have on you 24 hours a day.

That said...the tech is new, unpolished and NOT wide spread...it's getting there, but it's simply not there yet. Next year, it'll be significantly improved. To the point of a need for it on all devices? Maybe, i would have said the same thing last year when the 4S was released...but it just didn't progress as fast as one would have thought (i think primarily because of security features). Next year? Here's hoping.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 5 not having NFC is a lot like when the iPhone 4S didn't have LTE. A lot of people were disappointed. Although for a lot of people LTE wasn't/still isn't available in their area, they just like to brag that they have x feature.

I live in NYC and yeah there's NFC, however, even for paying for things, it's not as fail proof as just using my credit card. However that's just me, for other people maybe it's more important. I wouldn't get all banged out of shape over one minor feature however.

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
NFC is not a mess, quite the opposite.

I use it virtually every day, and in more and more locations all the time.

I'm very disappointed the iPhone 5 did not include NFC.

Where do you use it, typically?

The article is 3 months old and most of the arguments are invalid. Its unreal how fast things chnage in the tech world Google Wallet now accepts and links to ANY credit card. The proliferation of NFC chips on Android / WP devices is gaining traction.

Just like Kilo said, that PayPass logo is found more and more places ... Heck I pay at the water / soda machine by just touching the phone. Money comes right out of my checking account instantly. Pretty amazing never having to dig out my wallet to grab a card to swipe.

You aren't ever worried about hidden fees, errors, or the like?

I have a hard time keeping up with my money as it is, what with all of the direct bank drafts, debit transactions, etc. I could be getting billed $20/mo for something right now and not even know about it.

If it weren't for my daily balance being texted to me, I'd never be able to know when something odd came out.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
It does not bother me that it is not in the new iPhone but it would have been nice. I have a Nexus and when I used it, I was using NFC daily. It is really a handy thing to have.

Palm-a-PREciation

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I live in a small town in Wisconsin....we are probably soooooooo far away from getting NFC technology around here, I don't care that the iPhone 5 doesn't have it!!

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
While I use NFC for purchasing things, I use it more ofter with NFC Tags that I preprogrammed to carry out tasks.

i.e. I have a NFC tag on my car dock. When I place my S3 in the dock, the NFC tag makes my phone turn on bluetooth, turn on GPS, turn wifi off and launch the Amazon Cloud Player.

I have a NFC tag at work the puts my phone in vibrate mode and turn wifi on and GPS off.

I have a NFC tag on my nightstand charging dock that disables notifications and launch my alarm/clock app.

Last edited:

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
While I did use NFC for purchasing things, I use it more ofter with NFC Tags that I preprogrammed to carry out tasks.

i.e. I have a NFC tag on my car dock. When I place my S3 in the dock, the NFC tag makes my phone turn on bluetooth, turn on GPS, turn wifi off and launch the Amazon Cloud Player.

I have a NFC tag at work the puts my phone in vibrate mode and turn wifi on and GPS off.

I have a NFC tag on my nightstand charging dock that disables notifications and launch my alarm/clock app.

Ok.... those are really cool things. I wouldn't have a freaking clue how to make that happen, but yeah, that is why geeks rule the earth.

Edit: Is this you??? lol
Weekend Project: Make Your Own NFC Tags

Last edited:

cafesitter

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
leather flip case with two credit card slots

just get one of those and put a paypass credit card in it - you can just tap the phone and it goes through - on transactions below EUR 20 (my bank actually offers an NFC case for 4 and 4S and app that allows 20+ transactions but it is those coffees and water etc small sums that are perfect for tap and go). Add a EUR 50 note under the credit card for the taxi and you can go out on Friday night with just phone and keys in the pocket. - I know it is not very high tech but works nicely:)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see NFC as being critical today, the industry needs to come together and agree on a standard payment system that will use NFC instead of fighting each other for dominance where their is none to be had. Maybe in a few years, maybe Apple can provide a solution that doesn't require it at all.

Of course if they do it should be an open standard and not patented so we can all get to one consistent standard.

jeffgus

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That said...the tech is new, unpolished and NOT wide spread...it's getting there, but it's simply not there yet. Next year, it'll be significantly improved. To the point of a need for it on all devices? Maybe, i would have said the same thing last year when the 4S was released...but it just didn't progress as fast as one would have thought (i think primarily because of security features). Next year? Here's hoping.

I don't get people saying NFC is new. It is new to PHONES, but it is not new. Walk into any 7-Eleven, they have a NFC terminal. I see quite a few drive-thru's with NFC terminals. Los Angeles Metro just announced that they stopped issuing paper tickets. Only TAP Card are supported. Guess how TAP Cards work? NFC!

My only problem with NFC is that only one of my cards has it and it is not my debit card. Plastic cards can be skimmed. NFC on a phone is more secure because you have to auth the transaction! That is *better* than plastic.

NFC is also useful for things like changing profiles on the phone. Or setting up ad-hoc networking with another phone to transfer large amounts of data, etc. If the iPhone5 had NFC I am sure we'd be talking about all the cool possibilities that NFC offers.

jeffgus

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't see NFC as being critical today, the industry needs to come together and agree on a standard payment system that will use NFC instead of fighting each other for dominance where their is none to be had. Maybe in a few years, maybe Apple can provide a solution that doesn't require it at all.

Of course if they do it should be an open standard and not patented so we can all get to one consistent standard.

NFC itself isn't the fight. The fight is over the app and who handles the app to financial center transport. Google has their Wallet app and for some reason the *carriers* want to get into the picture with this "Isis" thing. The actual NFC part is just NFC and already defined by an ISO standard.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox