Do you close your apps?

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I only close mine every once in awhile. Don't see the need in being obsessive and closing them the second I'm done using them.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I never really "closed" all of my apps, but now I'm thinking I should (every now and then...) because:

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my "usage" and "standby" times were identical during a full day of use. Both displayed: 13 hours 45 minutes . . . and maybe it was my imagination, but I think the battery drained a bit quicker than normal during this day.

After searching for a reason/solution and posting a question in another thread (Verizon iP4 forum), I learned that the cause was likely an app or a game that was "continuously running" - even when the phone was in "standby" or "locked" mode.

I closed all of my apps and the "usage and standby" counter behaved normally. I'm still not sure which app or game caused this, but now I'm thinking that "closing" all apps periodically is a good idea.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
But how can you find out which app it is that is keeping the phone awake? I had a similar problem with my usage/standby times and closed all of my apps, but I have no way of knowing where the problem was....

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
But how can you find out which app it is that is keeping the phone awake? I had a similar problem with my usage/standby times and closed all of my apps, but I have no way of knowing where the problem was....

I've read conflicting reports about this, but some culprits could be apps that auto-refresh. Some Twitter apps, for example. Also Safari could be a problem if the page auto-refreshes. Of course, the way Apple explained the way their system works it shouldn't be an issue, but I have heard too many reports like yours.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but it seems like I started having the issue when using the tapatalk forum app and setting it to auto-refresh, but in the settings, it said that it would only auto-refresh when it is re-opened, maybe I misunderstood. Either way, I disabled auto-refresh for now to see if the problem persists.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why you feel compelled to close them when they're not actually open. Most of your apps aren't doing anything. The icon in your fast switch task bar is just a shortcut. It doesn't show you that these apps are running.

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why you feel compelled to close them when they're not actually open. Most of your apps aren't doing anything. The icon in your fast switch task bar is just a shortcut. It doesn't show you that these apps are running.

The KEY word is "Most" though ;) "Most" of your apps aren't doing anything, but there are some that are (GPS, Music, streaming, etc)... Hence, the need to close apps...

Skier1960

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I just learned a bunch of new stuff. Just installed SwitcherPlus, works great. For whatever reason people close their apps does not matter. I didn't even know what all the little icons were for at the bottom when I double tapped the home button until I read this thread.:eek::eek: I'm going to close them for reasons of my Paranoia. Not Kidding. Like WCARLSON40 said "Most" of your apps.

P.S Thanks everyone for the help.:)

Last edited:

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In theory you shouldn't need to close apps at all, most go completely to sleep and they shut down totally if memory gets low........

This whole "should I close my apps or not" confusion/debate boils down to this:

1. As posted above by Solubleapps: you shouldn't need to close apps at all . .....I agree with this

2. As reported by numerous users (including myself): some apps continue to run - even when switched to background/closed to "multitask dock" and seems to be continuously running and not in suspended mode (usage and standby times are identical)

The problem is this: When "2" happens, there is no way to tell which app(s) is causing the issue of continuously running. When you double click your home button and see 20+ apps in that dock, how can you tell which app(s) is causing the issue? You cant. . . In this case, its best to just "close" all running apps.

Although, it's USUALLY not necessary to regularly "close" all background apps, I think it is a good practice to do so . . periodically when issues arise

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
can anyone confirm if it is "bad" to close them A LOT??

thanks to Activator i can remove background apps, reset safari and free memory with a couple taps and a swipe to the left..

it literally takes about 2 seconds :D

Relznuk

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Many people have stepped forward to say that there is no need to manually close your apps - that iOS handles this very well for you. However, if I end up wanting to surf multiple tabs in Mobile Safari, if I do not manually close my background apps, the all my tabs constantly refresh. If I do clean out my background apps, I have a much nicer experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2