Do you charge your cell phone before severe weather hits?

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
With Hurricane Sandy heading up the east coast, keeping your cell phone and other electronics charged in case of emergency is recommended. Sometimes your cell phone may be your only connection with the outside world. I usually keep my cell phones and spare batteries topped off. Be safe!

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I definitely keep my devices charged up to the max when is severe weather. I will be charging my pc's and phone before sandy hits.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, for the most part, but even if the electricity goes out and my phone is not charged, I have a vehicle charger just in case.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, for the most part, but even if the electricity goes out and my phone is not charged, I have a vehicle charger just in case.

Man im glad i picked up a car charger a couple of weeks ago. it will really come in handy if that power goes out.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
With Hurricane Sandy heading up the east coast, keeping your cell phone and other electronics charged in case of emergency is recommended. Sometimes your cell phone may be your only connection with the outside world. I usually keep my cell phones and spare batteries topped off. Be safe!
The truly prepared domesday survivalist will have a solar charger... (I don't have one... yet. ) :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Man im glad i picked up a car charger a couple of weeks ago. it will really come in handy if that power goes out.

No doubt about that, my friend. After growing up and living in Orlando almost my entire life, you learn to acquire things like that...:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I will have my phone sitting and charging every moment I have to keep it charged to full plus I have 2 Mophie Plus' charged and ready as well, just in case;) along with it all of course, the batteries, the lanterns, the battery powered spot lights, the generator, spare gas etc....you get the idea:)

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
5000 watt generator gassed up, checked out, spare gas in cans, charging not a problem. :) We're ready for Sandy but not looking forward to the next few days in SE Virginia. Good luck and best wishes to everybody in her path.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Living in Florida in the Sarasota area you bet I keep mine charged and along with as stated my JustMe'D I also use a car charger. I also keep an emergency 911 cell phone as well just in case the weather is so bad that if a hurricane were to hit my State or area and knocks out cell service I can at least try to get through to the 911 service.

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a UPS for my DVR just for momentary blips, because it takes a long time to start up again after a blip. I unplug the DVR for extended outages. When we've had extended power outages here, I've used that UPS to charge my cell phone.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Take it from from me, one who has gone through several hurricanes, the car charger is your friend.
The car is also a great escape from the hot, muggy weather if the storms hits in the summer, assuming your power is out.
Isaac is the last storm we experienced and our power was out 5 days.
It was cooler outside at night than in the house but the mosquitoes were real bad.

Also, my wife has a VZ Mi-Fi for work (with a car charger) so we always had Internet connection.

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Take it from from me, one who has gone through several hurricanes, the car charger is your friend.
The car is also a great escape from the hot, muggy weather if the storms hits in the summer, assuming your power is out.
Isaac is the last storm we experienced and our power was out 5 days.
It was cooler outside at night than in the house but the mosquitoes were real bad.

Also, my wife has a VZ Mi-Fi for work (with a car charger) so we always had Internet connection.

Good Luck

You are on-point with your reply, my friend. Like you, I've been through more hurricanes and tropical storms than I care to count and your vehicles become your safe haven. I still have a generic car adaptor that that accepts regular power cords.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
You are on-point with your reply, my friend. Like you, I've been through more hurricanes and tropical storms than I care to count and your vehicles becomes your safe haven. I still have a generic car adaptor that that accepts regular power cords.

Good idea.
Tks JMD

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
As I sit here in Wisconsin, we have blizzards and tornado's but not what you all on the east coast will be hit with. And yes, I do power up before something hits. Y'all be same out there and check in. I will be watching the weather.

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I always keep the phones charged when storms are coming. Growing up in the Florida Panhandle, you just get used to being without power for a few days. I just hate the cold showers. :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You will probably never again see the National Weather Service be this blunt:
NOUS41 KPHI 281841
PNSPHI
DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-
055-060>062-067>071-291200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
241 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA...

SANDY IS EXPECTED TO SLAM INTO THE NEW JERSEY COAST LATER MONDAY
NIGHT, BRINGING VERY HEAVY RAIN AND DAMAGING WINDS TO THE REGION.
THE STORM IS A LARGE ONE, THEREFORE DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT CENTER
OF THE STORM AS ALL AREAS WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS.

THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE AN HISTORIC STORM, WITH WIDESPREAD WIND
DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES, INLAND AND COASTAL FLOODING, AND MASSIVE
BEACH EROSION. THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAVY RAIN AND PROLONGED WIND
WILL CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR LONG LASTING POWER OUTAGES AND SERIOUS
FLOODING.

PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE WRAPPING UP AS CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO
WORSEN TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY ON MONDAY.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES...

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE
AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE
OUT THE `62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO
IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT
THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU
MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE
RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR
RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR
PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS
ZERO FATALITIES.

5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR
ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

WE WISH EVERYONE IN HARMS WAY ALL THE BEST. STAY SAFE!

NWS MOUNT HOLLY, NJ

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely! I learned the hard way a few years ago after my area was hit by a tornado and I lost power for a week. I had to charge my phone in my truck when I was home and made sure when I left work I had a full charge. After the tornado hit and I lost power, everyone I know called to make sure I was okay. Didn't take long at all before my phone battery died.

Any time there is even a tiny chance of severe weather, I charge my phone.

iRetired

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Please read my cross-thread on LiveCams Pro if you are following Hurricane Sandy. I didn't want to hijack this one.

Oh my yes, I charge it every night; I have a car charger; and in a case like this, I wish I had that Mophie add-on battery too!

And if you look at my avatar closely, you'll see where I live!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal