Do slo-mo videos only work on the phone?

bed269

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
This last week we changed carriers so we needed new phones. I went with the Iphone 5S.
I really like the fingerprint thing. Quick unlock is nice at work. Also the other guys at work are just amazed by it. But the best thing is the slo-mo video.
All of us at work are like a bunch of little kids with this thing. You have to imagine middle aged blue collar workers dancing around and walking around in strange ways in a machine shop just so we can then gather around and watch it in slo-mo.
One thing I have noticed is that when the video uploads to either google or dropbox it is no longer in slo-mo. Does slo-mo only work on the phone?

We were all amazed at how clear and good the video looks on this thing. There is a couple of guys that are coming up on upgrades and as soon as the Iphone 6 is released they will get the 5S. They want it on sell.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so because there is a "share" option available for them, and if someone chooses to share that slow motion video with someone using a computer, I'd like to think they'd be able to view the video as-is. Still, I do not have an iPhone 5S to test it out for you.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Slo-mo video on the 5S is normal video captured at 120fps. When you play it back at 30fps, it becomes slo-mo. So for example, a 5 second video clip at 120fps will playback at 30fps over 20 seconds, making it seem to be at 1/4 speed. When you export the video from the phone, it retains the original 120fps and 5 second duration. If you import it into an app that supports 120fps video, you'll be able to replay it in slo-mo. The only way to get it as slo-mo when sent from your phone is to use an app like iMovie.

TLDR; export the clip from iMovie on your phone, will keep the slo-mo.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore bed269

Mike is correct but if you send it to another 5s it retains the slo-mo. There's also an app in the App Store that takes slo-mo videos that you can share to other devices

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slowcam-slow-motion-camera/id711410659?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

You can send the slow-mo video to any iOS and it will play back like the original video, I know cause I've tried this with my iPod touch and 4S but I haven't tried with devices under iOS 7 though.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

bed269

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replys. This is the coolest feature I have found.

Got a coworker going today to upgrade from the 4. I told him you will be amazed at the difference.
Also let him know he would have 4G. So then it turned into a big speedtest battle. It's a miracle that our company makes any money some days.
I liked digging at the android guys. Told them their data was slow because it was android. Said you can't blame your carrier.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro