Do I need to use the IOS music app on my iphone?

bimfi122

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I have an iPhone 8 Plus, running ios 12.3. I am trying to circumvent iTunes and IOS music app to listen to my music files on my iPhone. Without going into details, I synced all of my music onto the iphone using mediamonkey instead of iTunes. All of the music files transferred over. I also deleted the IOS music app and am trying to use a third-party app called C's Music app. It looks similar to the ios music app. The problem is that, although the music is on the phone and a song is opened in the app, the song will not play. It appears to be but there is no movement in the duration slidebar. I cannot skip or backup any songs either.

I guess my question is this. Do I need the IOS music app back on the iphone?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am more than happy with how the stock music app works on my device and therefore never had the need to use third party apps.

I’m glad you figured it out.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I will play contrarian here. I say no, you don’t need to use Apple’s music app. It certainly won’t be as easy, though it can be done and it has some benefits.

I have a huge music library on a NAS drive on my network most of it is FLAC encoded music. I can stream or download all that music on my iPhone using the VLC app. Because apps are sandboxed, that music will be downloaded to VLC’s in-app storage.

I could just as easily delete all the music in my iTunes library on my phone and just use VLC to manage my music on my phone, though many 3rd party music playback apps only work with the default music library. The stock Apple Music app is really pretty good.

bimfi122

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I am interested in scruffypig's response. I, also, have my music on a NAS, though not a large quantity (approx 1700 songs), but they are all mp3 or m4a files. I am mildly embarrassed to say that I had not heard of FLAC files until just recently. I understand that they are larger than mp3 but smaller than wav or cda files. I will have to look further into the VLC app. You mention that the stock Apple Music app is pretty good. Are you talking about the IOS music app that is standard on IOS devices or are you talking about the Apple music service? Just curious.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I am interested in scruffypig's response. I, also, have my music on a NAS, though not a large quantity (approx 1700 songs), but they are all mp3 or m4a files. I am mildly embarrassed to say that I had not heard of FLAC files until just recently. I understand that they are larger than mp3 but smaller than wav or cda files. I will have to look further into the VLC app. You mention that the stock Apple Music app is pretty good. Are you talking about the IOS music app that is standard on IOS devices or are you talking about the Apple music service? Just curious.

Yes the stock iOS music app and iTunes on my computer work pretty well, but in order to play the FLAC music I have, I need an app on my iPhone that can play them. There are a few in the App Store.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for this url.
This only strengthens my believe in Music
I think they're probably both excellent. Of course, Apple Music is limited by who can use it while Deezer can be used by just about anyone with any device.

I use both Androud and Iphone and only listen to my own music. I wish I could use Apple Music on my Pixel but it doesn't seem to let me use my music, only to stream. If anyone knows differently please let me know.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I think they're probably both excellent. Of course, Apple Music is limited by who can use it while Deezer can be used by just about anyone with any device.

I use both Androud and Iphone and only listen to my own music. I wish I could use Apple Music on my Pixel but it doesn't seem to let me use my music, only to stream. If anyone knows differently please let me know.
You can upload your owned music to iCloud Library. I've been using Apple Music on a few different Android's and have the exact same library on all my devices.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Apologies, I went to go see where it is and the Apple site specifically says you need to have an Apple Music subscription even for the iCloud Music Library.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought. On well, I'll have to make due.

There is a free trial if you would like to try it.

d9895d50a7104d39f461f2be6e69a66c.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods