Disappointed, returning Pro Max to Apple

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Wife ordered a 12 Pro Max for the son. Screen has an ugly yellow tint to it. Her Pro does not have this issue. Love trying to return/swap a new device. Good times lie ahead....:(

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Wife ordered a 12 Pro Max for the son. Screen has an ugly yellow tint to it. Her Pro does not have this issue. Love trying to return/swap a new device. Good times lie ahead....:(

Did you try turning off True Tone under display settings? They all come with that turned on and mine went back to just like my 11 pro max when I turned it off.

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The son has done a bunch of reading since last night and has tried pretty much all of the suggestions and none appear to work. There seem to be hundreds of complaints on the Pro Pro Max screens. Oh well...

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
The son has done a bunch of reading since last night and has tried pretty much all of the suggestions and none appear to work. There seem to be hundreds of complaints on the Pro Pro Max screens. Oh well...

Ugh well that sucks. Hopefully Apple can replace it with good one.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Yea, I noticed this but thought it was just my eyes. It’s not as pure white as my 11 pro Max when I compare them side by side(I still have my 11 pro Max).

I’m not sure it’s a lottery, at least not on the Pro Max. I just think people don’t really notice it because they don’t have a comparison.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m not sure mine is more yellow than other iPhones but it’s a little more yellow than my iPhone 7 Plus.
I haven’t disabled True Tone to see if the white is as white as on my 7 Plus and I’m not gonna.

I am just content with my screen as it is. I actually prefer True Tone because it’s easier on my eyes.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If anyone is having this yellow tint issue then make sure you check Settings - Accessibility - Display & Text Size and see what your auto-brightness setting is set to. That might make the difference for the yellow.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
This is my 12 pro Max compared to my 11 pro Max. It’s not really that bad but is noticeable to me. It’s something I can live with but hoping Apple makes some adjustments in future iOS updates. Others that I have seen are really bad and much more yellow than mine. My daughters 12 pro Max at Max brightness is noticeably less bright than my 11 or my 12, but she is ok with it because she runs in night mode 24/7 and keeps her brightness way down anyway.

65afce579230b782855738119c8eaa45.jpg

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the yellow issue, but I can say that the Pro Max is LESS BRIGHT than the XS Max if set exactly the same.

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
My screen has the yellow tint but i don’t know if it’s my eyes because it changes to a cooler tone every so often, strange. Yes truetone is turned off.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This is my 12 pro Max compared to my 11 pro Max. It’s not really that bad but is noticeable to me. It’s something I can live with but hoping Apple makes some adjustments in future iOS updates. Others that I have seen are really bad and much more yellow than mine. My daughters 12 pro Max at Max brightness is noticeably less bright than my 11 or my 12, but she is ok with it because she runs in night mode 24/7 and keeps her brightness way down anyway.

I honestly can’t see the difference lol

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Do you have this turned off?
IMG_1632.JPG

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
My daughter has a 12 Pro Max also and hers has much less of the yellow to it. Sometime in the future we will try to swap the sons phone out at the Apple store. Appointments are tough to get right now. Looks like about 78 pages of yellow screen hate over at MacRumors. Ouch...

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Different white points are common from panel to panel. Apple does compensate for this at the factory so the wild variations experienced on other phones (i.e. Galaxy S8 pink tint debacle) are largely eliminated.

Mine tends to be yellow because I have RGB high quality lighting that is tuned to warmer color temperatures. As soon as I move to where the lighting more resembles daylight the screen is white as it should be. Remember that true tone is simulating how a piece of paper would look under the light you're viewing it under. It does a pretty good job at that. I find that all my apple displays tend to be on the cold side if I disable true tone. I use it on my mbp as well. In a dark room it's going to be warm, it's a feature to attenuate excessive blue light on your somewhat dark adopted eyes.

I know personal preferences differ greatly on this subject and for that I wish Apple would allow for user adjustment of white point settings aside from the one that's in accessibility that will drive you crazy if you start messing with it! ;)

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I know this probably was t the case of the OP but. My screen was a warmer yellow than my 11 pro max just figured it was a newer display. Nothing wrong with it just the way the new phone was. That is until I took off the screen protector Verizon installed the day I got the phone. It was the vision guard one with the blue light filter. As soon as I took that off and put the spigen ones on I ordered from Amazon I can’t tell the difference in screens between my 11 pro max and 12 pro max. Just some food for thought for some people that might have a mild yellow to their screens.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR