Direct TV Now after almost 2 Years

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I just realized it will be almost two years this spring when I cut the cord and selected Direct TV Now as my primary streaming service.

In the beginning I had issues with some lag, service interruptions and an occasional error, but the last year, I have seen dramatic improvement in the service and even picked up some extra channels I didn’t have before.

We did get the local channels a while back, but I still use my channels app and my Ethernet adaptor in case I do have a disruption, I have a backup device.

I have the deluxe package and have only seen a 5 dollar increase since I started the service. Unlike my old cable provider whom seem to raise my rates on a yearly basis and take away channels.

So far I couldn’t be happier cutting the cord and my Apple TV 4th generation has worked flawless on the hardware side. I also went out and bought my own cable modem which also saved me another 10 dollars a month for equipment rental. Just thought I would pass it along.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Directv Now has been really good for me, but there have been a few hiccups here and there, but definitely nothing to get all worked up about. It’s been several years since I’ve cut the cord and I still don’t regret it and doubt I ever will.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I was an early adopter of DirectvNOW. I was fortunate to get their Go Big package for $35 (normally $60). I'm very pleased with the service. I initially had some occasional lag issues but after getting an AppleTV that was improved.

About a month or two ago I was invited to join their beta program for their dedicated streaming box. That greatly improved my experience as it essentially mimics a traditional cable experience with a dedicated box and remote. It also operates over AndroidTV so I get a few streaming apps on this box as well including Hulu, Youtube and Spotify. Overall, I'm very satisfied with DirectvNOW and would recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Going to give DirectTV a call now and see what's going on with their internet service in my area. Last I checked they was working with AT&T internet service which is not available in my area and that would mean I would still have to keep part of Xfinity service for the internet so I might as well bundle with said service.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I cut the cord a few years back & have been using DirecTv Now (mom’s acct) & PS Vue. Love them both but decided to ditch PS Vue for now & just use my moms DTV Now, since I don’t watch a ton of tv. It’s been pretty good so far. I’m just not sure how it’ll be once the Tide rolls in...might have to start up my PS Vue so I can see every game.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
My DirecTV Now is scheduled to be cancelled April 9th due to the price increases. I get my service for $15 due to an AT&T discount. It was $10 until a price increase a few months ago. Now they are raising it $10 more dollars and I refuse to play the game.

I used to push the service to anyone looking for a way to cut the cord but now that service is $50 and $70 depending on the package. They did exactly what the critics said they would do and got greedy. Their DVR still doesn't function properly and the add ons we were told about 8 months ago still aren't available. At this point its no longer worth it.

At the rate they are losing customers, I don't expect them to be around more than 2 more years.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My DirecTV Now is scheduled to be cancelled April 9th due to the price increases. I get my service for $15 due to an AT&T discount. It was $10 until a price increase a few months ago. Now they are raising it $10 more dollars and I refuse to play the game.

I used to push the service to anyone looking for a way to cut the cord but now that service is $50 and $70 depending on the package. They did exactly what the critics said they would do and got greedy. Their DVR still doesn't function properly and the add ons we were told about 8 months ago still aren't available. At this point its no longer worth it.

At the rate they are losing customers, I don't expect them to be around more than 2 more years.

Yeah, I canceled with them last month or the month before that and am currently giving YouTube TV a try. I haven’t tried PlayStation VUE yet. That’ll probably be next on my list if I become dissatisfied with YouTube TV.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I canceled with them last month or the month before that and am currently giving YouTube TV a try. I haven’t tried PlayStation VUE yet. That’ll probably be next on my list if I become dissatisfied with YouTube TV.

I was an early adopter of VUE when it launched and even back then it was excellent. I remember they lost some channels and that's why I left but the service itself was probably the best available.

Haven't tried Youtube TV.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Luckily I got into their Go Big package at the very beginning so my rate is awesome but last year’s $5 increase followed by this year’s $10 increase sucks. Lucky for them none of the other services offer every channel we need, especially not at the rate I’m paying even after the increases.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I canceled my Directv now subscription and use the watchtv from AT&T it's free with my service plus I get one premium channel.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I was an early adopter of VUE when it launched and even back then it was excellent. I remember they lost some channels and that's why I left but the service itself was probably the best available.

Haven't tried Youtube TV.

Agreed!! PS Vue is the real deal. Haven’t tried YouTube TV because google is just too nosey for my liking. I don’t need their recommendations everywhere lol

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am cheap, I ended up back with Sling Blue for $25 a month.
YouTube TV was what I wanted to keep. But after going up 25% I wasn’t paying the extra, despite the added channels.
Some of the reviews complain of the lag on Sling, which I agree.
I ditched the external antenna permanently. I have yet to find one that holds a signal.
When doing a channel search, it varies. Sometimes it finds 19 channels, other times 34. But I am lucky if I can actually watch half of them.
The constant signal loss drove me bonkers to a point where I had enough, and went back to streaming.
I am in a valley here, so that doesn’t help. But the antennae’s I pick up say it has an 80 mile radius, which I don’t completely agree with.
Boston is 40 miles from here, so I am sure there is a tower within that radius.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro