Digital driver's license rollout in US hits a hurdle as Florida suspends support

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is old news. My wife and I both have had the Florida Smart ID on our iPhones since they were in beta. I was telling a friend about it a week ago and that’s when I discovered it was no longer being supported and had been removed from both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

Within the hour, I received an official email from the DMV stating the obvious and that they were looking for a new vendor.

sechev00

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m confused. Article from here and 9to5Mac make it seem like Florida was previously available to select to add your DL within the Wallet app. That wasn’t the case. I recall Florida being one of the states expecting to rollout the Wallet feature but that never came to fruition yet.

For a while, FL residents have been able to use the Smart ID app in the App Store to store the DL digitally via that app. So this just means that they’ve dumped that app for now and will be searching for a new vendor. Hopefully they plan to still bring support within the Wallet app in the future.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m confused. Article from here and 9to5Mac make it seem like Florida was previously available to select to add your DL within the Wallet app. That wasn’t the case. I recall Florida being one of the states expecting to rollout the Wallet feature but that never came to fruition yet.

For a while, FL residents have been able to use the Smart ID app in the App Store to store the DL digitally via that app. So this just means that they’ve dumped that app for now and will be searching for a new vendor. Hopefully they plan to still bring support within the Wallet app in the future.
Florida was one of the original states that indicated a willingness to participate in bringing Florida IDs to Apple Wallet, but it never took off. They ended up going a different route and created the Florida SmartID which was basically app that allowed for businesses and law enforcement to scan a QR code to determine whether or not you were of legal drinking age, etcetera without you having to display the entire contents of your ID/DL.

You also had the option to display the full contents of the ID/DL within the app. It was okay, but if you were to restore your phone you would have to login to the DMV site, select the SmartID option and then have a new code emailed to you so your information could reappear in the app.

Having it appear in the Wallet app would have been more efficient and simple in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millerhunt890