Did you own one of these?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m going to take you down memory lane to 2003/2004. How many of you owned a Palm Treo - specifically the 600 or 650 series? I owned the Treo 600 and I can’t believe that was 20 years ago.

79ea62664cbfed6357684a6e34c6de8e.jpg

Reactions: Laura Knotek

k1ward

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I carried my Tungsten C for the first year after I received my work Blackberry. I trusted it more than the BB with my calendar ;-).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I carried my Tungsten C for the first year after I received my work Blackberry. I trusted it more than the BB with my calendar ;-).

I hear you. If I recall correctly, I entered the world of Blackberry after having the Treo 600. For me, there was no going back after I purchased the Blackberry 7290 from VoiceStream (now known as T-mobile).

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I never own one but I remember my sister did. I was to ting to have a phone but these were so cool when it first came out. One of the first full keyboard phone

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
This thread reminds of something I’ve been thinking about lately. I’m 56 years old and have been a phone/tech enthusiast since about 1998. All the way back to the Motorola Startac. I went thru a semi-smart phone phase from 2000 to 2005 with Windows Mobile and Palm. Then BB from 2005-2009. First iPhone in 2009 then everything available for a while. Back to mainly just Apple around 2019. Anyway, what I’ve realized is that I have tech based nostalgia. I connect times in my life with the tech of that timeframe. Since we usually remember the best parts of the past, hence the term “good old days”, I have fond memories about all the different devices I’ve used. Even though those older devices couldn’t do nearly as much as this 14PM I’m typing on, at the time I was always amazed at what they could do. Much more than I am with the current phones. We’ve come to expect a certain level of performance and the innovation has really become incremental. Back then it seemed revolutionary every couple of years.

Can anyone else relate to this? If you’re in your 40s or 50s you are the first generation to ever experience this phenomenon. We are literally experiencing something completely new to the human race.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This thread reminds of something I’ve been thinking about lately. I’m 56 years old and have been a phone/tech enthusiast since about 1998. All the way back to the Motorola Startac. I went thru a semi-smart phone phase from 2000 to 2005 with Windows Mobile and Palm. Then BB from 2005-2009. First iPhone in 2009 then everything available for a while. Back to mainly just Apple around 2019. Anyway, what I’ve realized is that I have tech based nostalgia. I connect times in my life with the tech of that timeframe. Since we usually remember the best parts of the past, hence the term “good old days”, I have fond memories about all the different devices I’ve used. Even though those older devices couldn’t do nearly as much as this 14PM I’m typing on, at the time I was always amazed at what they could do. Much more than I am with the current phones. We’ve come to expect a certain level of performance and the innovation has really become incremental. Back then it seemed revolutionary every couple of years.

Can anyone else relate to this? If you’re in your 40s or 50s you are the first generation to ever experience this phenomenon. We are literally experiencing something completely new to the human race.

I can definitely relate to it, and I turn 60 in a few months.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The middle of our adults lives just happened to hit right with the explosion of mobile technology. That will never happen again.

(Laughing)…yeah, you’re right about that.

Like me, you’ve had the experience of using older devices that doubled as a personal digital assistant (PDA). In my opinion, those device were simple, pragmatic, unlike today when our smartphones are inundated with apps, emojis, ads and settings. Know what I mean?

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
(Laughing)…yeah, you’re right about that.

Like me, you’ve had the experience of using older devices that doubled as a personal digital assistant (PDA). In my opinion, those device were simple, pragmatic, unlike today when our smartphones are inundated with apps, emojis, ads and settings. Know what I mean?

Yeah, the sweet spot for me was the BB. You had email (of course), sms, voice and good old BB messenger. You were very connected but not at all distracted. It was a valuable tool that enhanced your personal and professional life. Now we can be so distracted by our phones that our quality of life suffers as well as our mental health. I’m in the process of realigning my digital life. Much, much less social media. Not 0, but almost. I don’t want to live the rest of my life staring at a little screen like a zombie. Look around, that’s the world we live in.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the sweet spot for me was the BB. You had email (of course), sms, voice and good old BB messenger. You were very connected but not at all distracted. It was a valuable tool that enhanced your personal and professional life. Now we can be so distracted by our phones that our quality of life suffers as well as our mental health. I’m in the process of realigning my digital life. Much, much less social media. Not 0, but almost. I don’t want to live the rest of my life staring at a little screen like a zombie. Look around, that’s the world we live in.

Well stated, and I’m trying to do the same thing. Have an awesome rest of your weekend. :)

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I even had the Palm Pilot, the first b & w screened Palm 'organizer' with a stylus, and with incredibly quirky character recognition.
I just had to have it. It was a nightmare to operate, but for me there was no option to not having one.
Once I had it, I thought '...and now, what they have to do is to put a phone into this device....'
Well.....

Today, I miss my Blackberries dearly.
Still hate typing on glass after all these years.
Trying to get along with swiping - but a physical keyboard remains unsurpassed.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I even had the Palm Pilot, the first b & w screened Palm 'organizer' with a stylus, and with incredibly quirky character recognition.
I just had to have it. It was a nightmare to operate, but for me there was no option to not having one.
Once I had it, I thought '...and now, what they have to do is to put a phone into this device....'
Well.....

Today, I miss my Blackberries dearly.
Still hate typing on glass after all these years.
Trying to get along with swiping - but a physical keyboard remains unsurpassed.

I’ve stated on numerous occasions that the physical keyboard on the Blackberry 7290 was second to none and I’ve not had a better keyboard before or afterwards.

6aef8bcf0a3b84baa31b3e98d865c722.jpg

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
54711a2e9019518e109a528f754ab31a.jpg

This was my first PDA. A Sharp Zaurus. I bought it for 1/2 price at an Office Depot near where I was working at the time. I think it retailed for $249. It was big and heavy but I thought it was AWESOME!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
54711a2e9019518e109a528f754ab31a.jpg

This was my first PDA. A Sharp Zaurus. I bought it for 1/2 price at an Office Depot near where I was working at the time. I think it retailed for $249. It was big and heavy but I thought it was AWESOME!

I owned a similar PDA, but I believe it was from Casio. I forgot all about that thing until I saw the image you posted of yours.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh