Did I really miss this?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So apparently bluetooth headset microphones are useless with the default camera app on iPhones. I have confirmed this with my airpods and LG headset with my 11 Pro Max. But I can't believe I'm not now discovering this. And honestly, if it wasn't for the state of emergency we're in right now and everyone and their brother turning to Facebook Live to stream and me getting called for "technical assistance", I probably wouldn't have even noticed this. Had a coworker try his Android phone with LG headset and the default camera app and he got the same thing; the LG headset didn't pick up his voice. Only the mic on his device worked for recording video.

https://mashable.com/article/apple-airpods-cant-record-audio-iphone-camera-app/

Bluetooth headset mic's do with with 3rd party video apps (specifically MoviePro) which is nice, but just can't believe it doesn't work with the stock camera app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless I misunderstood your post, I paired my Bose QC-35 Bluetooth headset to my iPhone 11 Pro Max that I performed a clean install of iOS 13.4 and set it up as new over the weekend.

I selected the native camera app and then created a video in which I vocalized, “This is a test. This is only a test”. When I played back the video, I can clearly hear the words I vocalized.

If I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Unless I misunderstood your post, I paired my Bose QC-35 Bluetooth headset to my iPhone 11 Pro Max that I performed a clean install of iOS 13.4 and set it up as new over the weekend.

I selected the native camera app and then created a video in which I vocalized, “This is a test. This is only a test”. When I played back the video, I can clearly hear the words I vocalized.

If I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

If I understand it right, @Lee_Bo says audio is recorded through the iPhone microphone, rather than the connected BT headset microphone.
Best way to make sure that’s true, is to start recording with headsets in/on your ears and put the iPhone away or in a desk drawer and start talking.

If you can hear yourself while playing the video, than clearly BT headset microphone is used. If not, than Lee_Bo is right.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I understand it right, @Lee_Bo says audio is recorded through the iPhone microphone, rather than the connected BT headset microphone.
Best way to make sure that’s true, is to start recording with headsets in/on your ears and put the iPhone away or in a desk drawer and start talking.

If you can hear yourself while playing the video, than clearly BT headset microphone is used. If not, than Lee_Bo is right.

Understood, and he’s right. Thanks for the clarification, sir.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, sorry about that. The way I tested it was I started to record a video and set the phone down and walked away. Audio dropped like a brick in water. Had to buy a 3rd party app that works just fine. Had a coworker test his Android device the same way and got the exact same result.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
And, this appears to also be happening when you use a mobile device, iOS or Android, and start a FB Live feed, which seems to be happening more and more now with the current pandemic. I've currently tested several iOS devices and different BT headsets with microphones and the audio on all tests is only being recorded from the mobile devices internal mic.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2