Did I make a mistake or ?

BBerryPowerUser

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
To the OP, I think that we are creatures of habit as much as we look for form, fit and function.

I've been on an iPhone 4s since it came out, but am upgrading to a 7 in September. I'm hoping the 7 won't be a "monsterous" screen size, yet it will certainly be bigger than my 4s. I have debated on the SE, but I've got rather big paws, and the one thing about the 4s that always bothered me was it's small for my paws. I have an Android with a 5" screen and that phone is much easier for me with regard to fit and function.

Saying all this, it's up to the owner. I may opt for the SE after all seeing as how I can pop the 4s in my pocket, and will miss that. I'm not a fan of a PHABLET. I have an iPad if I want that experience. A phone to me should fit the owner's expectations. It sounds to me, OP, like your new SE does, so enjoy!

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
To the OP, I think that we are creatures of habit as much as we look for form, fit and function.

I've been on an iPhone 4s since it came out, but am upgrading to a 7 in September. I'm hoping the 7 won't be a "monsterous" screen size, yet it will certainly be bigger than my 4s. I have debated on the SE, but I've got rather big paws, and the one thing about the 4s that always bothered me was it's small for my paws. I have an Android with a 5" screen and that phone is much easier for me with regard to fit and function.

Saying all this, it's up to the owner. I may opt for the SE after all seeing as how I can pop the 4s in my pocket, and will miss that. I'm not a fan of a PHABLET. I have an iPad if I want that experience. A phone to me should fit the owner's expectations. It sounds to me, OP, like your new SE does, so enjoy!
I'm not expecting a revolution in form factor from the iPhone 7...
Ideally a 4.7" / 5.5" device with slightly smaller bezels would be perfect for me.

cawafuoshi

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Not too long ago I was using a 5s daily. Remember how I liked the extra real estate coming from a 4s. Then the 6plus happened. Reasoning was simple: no need for a tablet. Reality was a different one though. The Plus was always akward to hold and use. Not to mention it slightly bent from wearing it in tight pockets.

In and between I was using some Androids and Windows phones of different sizes. I love the 4.7 screen on my Moto E whereas the 6 or 6s is just an awful screen to device size ratio.

Currently sporting an LG Stylo. 5.7 screen but less akwardly to hold and use than a 6plus due to better screen device size ratio.

There is hope, Apple will eliminate the home button and put that 4.7 screen in a device like the SE sizewise.

Having said that, I could see myself getting an SE for two reasons: battery life and camera. While I find that my Stylo's cam and battery life are pretty decent, I do have to recharge couple times a day due to heavy usage. Perhaps the SE can solve that for me.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not too long ago I was using a 5s daily. Remember how I liked the extra real estate coming from a 4s. Then the 6plus happened. Reasoning was simple: no need for a tablet. Reality was a different one though. The Plus was always akward to hold and use. Not to mention it slightly bent from wearing it in tight pockets.

In and between I was using some Androids and Windows phones of different sizes. I love the 4.7 screen on my Moto E whereas the 6 or 6s is just an awful screen to device size ratio.

Currently sporting an LG Stylo. 5.7 screen but less akwardly to hold and use than a 6plus due to better screen device size ratio.

There is hope, Apple will eliminate the home button and put that 4.7 screen in a device like the SE sizewise.

Having said that, I could see myself getting an SE for two reasons: battery life and camera. While I find that my Stylo's cam and battery life are pretty decent, I do have to recharge couple times a day due to heavy usage. Perhaps the SE can solve that for me.

Even if the phone had no bezel whatsoever, the only way to make the screen noticeably larger would be to make the device bigger. Otherwise you'd just be stretching the screen out lengthwise and that would make for really awkward screen dimensions. I remember dealing with cropped screen issues for quite a while after the iPhone 5 was released and they changed the screen dimensions from prior models. Devs basically had to rewrite their apps in order to make them compatible.
I see where you're coming from with the large bezel though. My 6s Plus feels gigantic compared to the S7 Plus because of the bezel. I'm hoping a smaller bezel comes with the iPhone 7 lineup in the Fall. That being said, I don't agree with removing the home button. The home button has been around since the original iPhone and is deeply embedded in most users brains. I'd be lost without it. Not to mention the home button houses the TouchID sensor. From a marketing standpoint, the home button makes iPhones distinguishable. I can spot an iPhone from a mile away just by looking at the home button....and the bezel.

cawafuoshi

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
What will happen to TouchID?

The home button is so integral to the design and usage of the phone, I don't see it going away imo.

Somewhere I read they could integrate it including fingerprint scan into a layer ontop of the screen.

I know that button is iconic and the fingerprint scanner awesome, but nothing is sacrosanct for Apple if they can make their devices thinner, lighter, more compact. That supposedly missing headphone jack on future iphones will be the proof.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Somewhere I read they could integrate it including fingerprint scan into a layer ontop of the screen.

I know that button is iconic and the fingerprint scanner awesome, but nothing is sacrosanct for Apple if they can make their devices thinner, lighter, more compact. That supposedly missing headphone jack on future iphones will be the proof.

Thinner, lighter = worse battery to me. Enough already.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
That's out of my area of expertise. All I've seen of TouchID is that it couldn't be done on the screen. I'm not saying can or can't but its been my [uneducated] understanding it couldn't.

I know nothing is safe, but I don't foresee apple dropping it anytime soon.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I see where you're coming from with the large bezel though. My 6s Plus feels gigantic compared to the S7 Plus because of the bezel. I'm hoping a smaller bezel comes with the iPhone 7 lineup in the Fall. That being said, I don't agree with removing the home button. The home button has been around since the original iPhone and is deeply embedded in most users brains. I'd be lost without it. Not to mention the home button houses the TouchID sensor. From a marketing standpoint, the home button makes iPhones distinguishable. I can spot an iPhone from a mile away just by looking at the home button....and the bezel.
I agree with you.
I don't want software buttons on my iPhone.
They can slightly reduce bezels, mostly on the side but also a few millimeters on top and bottom, and improve the screen to front ratio a little bit. That's enough for me.
The already did that on the iPhone 6.
iPhone 5/5S/SE ratio is 60.8%, while on the 6/6S is a better 65.6%. The criticized iPhone 6+/6S+ is even slightly better at 67.7% ...
The Nexus 6P, in comparison , is 71%.
Apple could improve te iPhone 7 a little bit reaching the 70% reasonable limit without revolutionizing iPhone design.

Thinner, lighter = worse battery to me. Enough already.
That's a false myth.
Every iPhone since 5 had a better battery life than previous model.
The 5S was better than the 5. The 6 was better than the 5S. the 6S was better than the 6 and the SE is even better than the 6S (but you should compare it to the 5S, and it's definitely better).

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
the 6S was better than the 6
The 6s battery is definitely inferior to the iPhone 6. Apple reduced the size of the battery to accommodate the Force Touch motor, and that its driving said Force Touch motor, so its also using more power then the prior version.

From TechRadar
Now here's an odd thing: the iPhone 6S has worse battery life than last year's iPhone 6.

From wccftech

The iPhone 6s battery test video is shared below and as you can see while your iPhone 6 would have a couple of hours of life left at 32%, iPhone 6s is almost dying at 8%.

iMore.
NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT:

Bigger screens
Optical image stabilization on photos and video
A longer battery

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
The 6s battery is definitely inferior to the iPhone 6. Apple reduced the size of the battery to accommodate the Force Touch motor, and that its driving said Force Touch motor, so its also using more power then the prior version.

From TechRadar

From wccftech

iMore.

Not according to my experience or Anandtech review:

78204.png
78203.png

Nor Ars Tecnica intensive test:

charts.020-980x720.png

Even GsmArena, not exactly an Apple-friendly website, reviewed the iPhone 6S stating that the battery life was slightly better than iPhone 6:

Apple iPhone 6s review: The more it changes? - page 3 - GSMArena.com

So, the total rating of the iPhone 6s is 62 hours - an hour better than the iPhone 6

even PhoneArena agree:

Apple iPhone 6s vs iPhone 6 - Battery life and Conclusion

In order to test the difference, we run our custom battery life test: screens pre-set at 200 nits, running a script that emulates typical phone use with no screen off time. There is a big improvement here: the iPhone 6s gest 8 hours and 15 minutes on this test, a more than 50% better showing than that of the iPhone 6, which has 5 hours and 22 minutes.

Apple iPhone 6s vs iPhone 6
In real-life, we?re seeing slightly better results with the 6s as well

Battery indeed is smaller, but the SoC is far more efficient.
As usual it depends on usage.
My experience said I have about 30 minutes more battery usage on the 6S.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
All I know is people are complaining about the battery, and Apple made the unprecendented move of providing a battery case for the phone, so it can last all day.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes. My SE has way better battery life than my iPhone 6 or Note 5. My iPhone 6+ (non s) probably had the best battery life to date, but I only kept that phone for 2 weeks because it was too big for my liking.

I also agree with the home button. I love the single home button and touch id and don't think I could live without it. I rely on the single home button the most and touch id for logging in and apple pay. 1 button....FTW.

On my Note 5, hitting one of the virtual keys was always annoying me whenever I'd go into landscape mode. Also when the kids would use the phone they would always hit it as well. Sucked!

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
All I know is people are complaining about the battery, and Apple made the unprecendented move of providing a battery case for the phone, so it can last all day.

oh, people complain about almost everything on forums, but my iPhone 6S still lasts all day

the working day is almost done (a couple more hours), I actually used my phone and I will reach the night with more than 40% battery left.
The battery case (that I own) is for TWO DAYS of usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh