Did I make a mistake or ?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
While I don't dispute your experience, everyone is different with their own use of a mobile device. Me, for example doesn't experience the stellar battery performance of the 6+ or 6S+ because I'm a very heavy user.
But that is for sharing, I may give it a try
If you aren't experiencing great battery life on a 6S Plus, you won't on the SE too.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
This thread is interesting. From the beginning I've used big screens. My first candy bar touch screen smartphone was 4.3 inch, followed by 4.5 inch, 5.0 inch and now 5.5 inch with my iPhone 6s plus. So for those who owned devices with 3.5 inch to 4 inch devices in the past, might know how it is to move from 5.5 inch to 4 inch. But, for me it might be like heaven and earth.

Anyways I do respect OPs decision, because it was his taste and preference. I have seen most of the people in this thread have complained about the portability issue and single handed usage. I know single handed usage is not possible in a 6S+ although double tap on the home screen helps, its just that most of us are not used to it.

But I have never faced any portability issue. I am 6'1 and I never wear tight jeans or trouser. So 6S+ perfectly suits in my pocket with the case. Seriously I don't think portability should be an issue with the 6S+, unless a gurl is placing it in the back pocket of her tight jeans.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
This thread is interesting. From the beginning I've used big screens. My first candy bar touch screen smartphone was 4.3 inch, followed by 4.5 inch, 5.0 inch and now 5.5 inch with my iPhone 6s plus. So for those who owned devices with 3.5 inch to 4 inch devices in the past, might know how it is to move from 5.5 inch to 4 inch. But, for me it might be like heaven and earth.

Anyways I do respect OPs decision, because it was his taste and preference. I have seen most of the people in this thread have complained about the portability issue and single handed usage. I know single handed usage is not possible in a 6S+ although double tap on the home screen helps, its just that most of us are not used to it.

But I have never faced any portability issue. I am 6'1 and I never wear tight jeans or trouser. So 6S+ perfectly suits in my pocket with the case. Seriously I don't think portability should be an issue with the 6S+, unless a gurl is placing it in the back pocket of her tight jeans.

As a girl, I adjusted to a 5 inch phone fitting in a good amount of pockets, but originally coming from a 4 inch phone, I noticed the difference immediately. Ever since I went up, I found myself missing the small phone size factor most of the time. I tried the Nexus 5x at 5.2 inches and that was even worse. Such a tall phone.

Some of my pants and jeans don't even have "real pockets" so it's always a plus if I can get a phone that will fit a good amount of the pocket. I don't really like to put my phone in my purse because it's annoying to keep opening my purse to use or look at my phone. I also move around a lot for my work, so portability is super important. I'm aware that I can leave my phone on my desk (very open desk btw) and the counter, but nah, I don't trust at all. I can't hold my phone while working because that gets in the way for what I do at work.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

I'm a man, average height, and I don't wear extremely tight jeans or trouser, but I still think the 6S+ isn't comfortable to carry, especially during summer when I don't wear any jacket.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Same here. I'm an average man as far as weight and height and have always had trouble handling the bigger phones.

I'm self employed and my iPhone (or whatever device I'm using at the time) pretty much runs my business for me.

So portability, ease of use and multitasking are huge for me. I hardly ever have time to stop and use 2 hands on my phone, so the SE fits the bill for me.

Chargerman165

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I too had the 6+ and gave it to my stepson. I am average size also and didn't have problem using it the problem I had was always where to put it down. I carry two phones and both are 6s space gray and gold. Don't think I could go back to the 4 inch screen. The 6s works for me but glad to see the SE for others

boomer0127

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The battery life on my SE is incredible. I think part of it is due to the better radio - the cave I work in used to kill my 5 when it spent the day looking for signal. Now I have signal all day - I leave work now at 65% battery when I used to leave at 30%. And yes I put a new battery in my 5 in October 2015.

No regrets on the upgrade, but I did upgrade from a 3.5 year old iphone5. It was a no brainer.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
The battery life on my SE is incredible. I think part of it is due to the better radio - the cave I work in used to kill my 5 when it spent the day looking for signal. Now I have signal all day - I leave work now at 65% battery when I used to leave at 30%. And yes I put a new battery in my 5 in October 2015.

No regrets on the upgrade, but I did upgrade from a 3.5 year old iphone5. It was a no brainer.
Surely the better radio helps here, but a slightly bigger battery and a vastly improved CPU are the main reasons to the better battery life.

I think the SE is mostly intended as an upgrade for iPhone 4S / 5 / 5S users still happy with the form factor but looking for a modern device

got556

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Surely the better radio helps here, but a slightly bigger battery and a vastly improved CPU are the main reasons to the better battery life.

I think the SE is mostly intended as an upgrade for iPhone 4S / 5 / 5S users still happy with the form factor but looking for a modern device

And the small screen not sucking every last mAH out of the battery. I don't think a lot of people truly comprehend how much juice a large QHD or 1080p screen use. If I could get the 6S in iphone 5/5S/SE design with a semi larger battery and possibly bump up to a 1080 screen, I would be happy. Or a 4.3" screen with the SE body yet smaller bezels would be another good one. And also, radio signal/strength plays a huge part in battery drainage also.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
It's taken some mucking around but I have finally got my ideal setup, sold my 15" Mbpr for a 27' 5k iMac, sold my wifi iPad Air 2 for a 12.9 128gb 4g iPad Pro, and sold my 6s plus for a SE.
All perfect screens with no yellowing or light bleed.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
It's taken some mucking around but I have finally got my ideal setup, sold my 15" Mbpr for a 27' 5k iMac, sold my wifi iPad Air 2 for a 12.9 128gb 4g iPad Pro, and sold my 6s plus for a SE.
All perfect screens with no yellowing or light bleed.
Your setup is mimicking mine :)

I bought a 27" iMac last November - giving my 15" MBP to my kids. I have the SE, to which I'll be selling my 6 plus shortly. As it stands for my mobility needs I have a Surface Pro which I really like. I don't see the IPP 12.9" doing everything I can do on my SP3 which is why I've held off.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
And the small screen not sucking every last mAH out of the battery. I don't think a lot of people truly comprehend how much juice a large QHD or 1080p screen use. If I could get the 6S in iphone 5/5S/SE design with a semi larger battery and possibly bump up to a 1080 screen, I would be happy. Or a 4.3" screen with the SE body yet smaller bezels would be another good one. And also, radio signal/strength plays a huge part in battery drainage also.
Correct. The race to insanely high resolutions is a typical gimmick of android world. Pointless but good for the wow effect looking at tech specs.
300-400 PPI are the sweet spot.

In the next future Apple could bump up just a little bit their screen resolution (something like 1080P on the 4.7" and 720P on the 4") and keep a good power efficiency.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Your setup is mimicking mine :)

I bought a 27" iMac last November - giving my 15" MBP to my kids. I have the SE, to which I'll be selling my 6 plus shortly. As it stands for my mobility needs I have a Surface Pro which I really like. I don't see the IPP 12.9" doing everything I can do on my SP3 which is why I've held off.

Sweet, love my iMac 5k best computer I have had, I had a 09 27'' iMac for 4 years then went to a 15'' Mbpr. I don't have a need for Windows. My SE pretty much stays in my office when at home and I use the iPad Pro around the house, I love how they all work together especially messages.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site

Portability is an issue when you're wearing dress slacks. It looks like you have an iPad Mini in your pocket! I love the screen size of the Plus, but switched from the 6s+ back to the 6s simply because of portability, and comfort/appearance. YMMV, of course. You're 6'1"...I'm 5'9".

That said, I have several friends who are excited about the SE and have carried a 5s for over two-years, because the 6 & 6s were too big for their tastes...or hands. Steve Jobs' idea of a phone screen real estate being no bigger than the average hand can reach across with their thumb has some merit.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Yup. Portability for me is an issue as well since I run and cycle a lot.

For mountain biking, it's not an issue since I just throw the phone in my hydration pack and go.

For trail running, less is more. I'd rather not carry a hydration pack while running and can run just fine with the SE in my pocket (running Strava and playing music of course), my id, insurance card and key in my Amphipod water bottle. No way this would be possible with my 6+ or Note 5.

boomer0127

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I run with my SE in my hand ( I put it in a snack size ziplock bag) and cheap earbuds with hooks. I don't think I could run with anything bigger.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Yup. Portability for me is an issue as well since I run and cycle a lot.

For mountain biking, it's not an issue since I just throw the phone in my hydration pack and go.

For trail running, less is more. I'd rather not carry a hydration pack while running and can run just fine with the SE in my pocket (running Strava and playing music of course), my id, insurance card and key in my Amphipod water bottle. No way this would be possible with my 6+ or Note 5.

For running even the iPhone 6S is a little too big for me.
I'm using this:

$_35.JPG

barely acceptable.
It was much better with my former iPhone 5S a couple years ago.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR