Did I make a mistake or ?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
One handed operation is good for browsing, scrolling and other applications. But why on earth would someone use single hand for typing or dialing? Now matter how small the device, is I always use both my hands for typing and dialing. Its for 4 times faster with both the hands.
It depends on what are you typing.
For a document you're right, but for short messages/ texts, one hand typing is more comfortable imho

JanuarJaguar

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
One handed operation is good for browsing, scrolling and other applications. But why on earth would someone ...

And why not, may I ask?

In one hand, some could hold its phone and texting, while in the other hand she/he holds a cup of coffee or some other delicacy, while enjoying a sunny afternoon by sitting in a park...

Don't put everyone in same category, there is no accounting for tastes.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I was on a 6 plus, and moved to the SE. I've got no regrets, though, there needed to be a transition period, i.e., typing is more cramped then on the plus. Overall, its been a great decision, and I love my SE :)

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
For a document you're right, but for short messages/ texts, one hand typing is more comfortable imho

And why not, may I ask?

In one hand, some could hold its phone and texting, while in the other hand she/he holds a cup of coffee or some other delicacy, while enjoying a sunny afternoon by sitting in a park...

You got a point, but practically speaking. Lets say you are sitting in Starbucks and enjoying delicious coffee and snacks. That time you will prefer to browse, some website and enjoy YouTube. That time you usually avoid sending text, unless its an emergency.

But yes, everyone has his own taste

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, you said my exact answer. However, I come originally from Windows Phone where you have the "Wordflow" option, so I installed SwiftKey keyboard to get that back. I use that a lot and sometimes I actually don't use the "Swipe" at all. I don't feel like I have any struggles though. I tweet, use plurk, pretty much anything that requires typing, I do one handed without any issues.

If the direct skip doesn't work, go to 1:17 to see it in action. It is awesome!

And why not, may I ask?

You just described me. I am one of those people who like to read while eating, or drinking tea. I do it a lot. If I happen to be alone, one can guarantee that I will be doing that. I find that I eat much faster because I'm reading and eating lol.

JanuarJaguar

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
You got a point, but practically speaking. Lets say you are sitting in Starbucks and enjoying delicious coffee and snacks. That time you will prefer to browse, some website and enjoy YouTube. That time you usually avoid sending text, unless its an emergency.

But yes, everyone has his own taste

Both are valid situations. Sitting at Starbucks or outside. Alone or with company (please, ignore me being this stubborn, but when spending time with friends, family, or at events: I put the phone where it doesn't interrupt the time being together with people, folks etc.). It's always kept on silent mode with vibrating alerts enabled. In my pocket, feeling the different types of vibrations, I'm able to decide if it's even worth taking a look at it, or the conversation can go on without interruption.

I rarely go out to pubs, clubs and the likes. And there, my priority isn't browsing the web, at all, instead having a good time with friends.

You see, your last post clearly shows YOUR priorities, not mine. I leave all this browsing, youtubing and time wasting stuff for at night.

Thank you for your input, but please, accept that other folks, other usage patterns. Because I'm not having the slightest objection against YOUR habits (this is clearly speaking about using cellphones). I respect that you like to type fast with both hands.

So, this is just nitpicking, cause we're getting too spoiled with all this super futuristic "can't live without" applications, innovations.... give me a break.

And don't look down on me for this, but always liked and still prefer to write letters or some notes, with the good old pencil, pen. Technology evolves, but that's just too much, for ME, no one forces me to get used to, if not interested in some gimmicks. I'll pass, and life goes on. Wich direction I'm choosing? The most enjoyable, for ME, not for the sake of "getting the latest life changing innovations".

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, you said my exact answer. However, I come originally from Windows Phone where you have the "Wordflow" option, so I installed SwiftKey keyboard to get that back. I use that a lot and sometimes I actually don't use the "Swipe" at all. I don't feel like I have any struggles though. I tweet, use plurk, pretty much anything that requires typing, I do one handed without any issues.

https://youtu.be/GD3UuB9OqGg?t=1m17s
If the direct skip doesn't work, go to 1:17 to see it in action. It is awesome!

I'm still using a Lumia 1520 as a work phone, and I have to say that their wordflow keyboard option is better than any third party keyboard I tried on my iPhone.
I'd really like Apple to develop a swype type keyboard in the next future, because it's just the best option for one hand operations.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the Plus iPhone size is too large for me (I tried to "go big" with a 6s+ from a 6 for about a month but eventually exchanged it for a 6s) but the 4-inch screen is just too small as well -- so the 6s 4.7-inch size is perfect for me

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm still using a Lumia 1520 as a work phone, and I have to say that their wordflow keyboard option is better than any third party keyboard I tried on my iPhone.
I'd really like Apple to develop a swype type keyboard in the next future, because it's just the best option for one hand operations.

Agreed. Swype was a major reason for me to keep going back to Android. I absolutely love Swype.

I have the 3rd party version on my iPhone SE but it doesn't feel the same.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Guys can someone suggest me a 3rd party keyboard that has numbers on the top? When I look at my wife's Note 5 and dad's S6 Edge+, It has the numbers on the top, thus we don't have to switch in order to enter numbers, which saves a lot of time

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Both are valid situations. Sitting at Starbucks or outside. Alone or with company (please, ignore me being this stubborn, but when spending time with friends, family, or at events: I put the phone where it doesn't interrupt the time being together with people, folks etc.). It's always kept on silent mode with vibrating alerts enabled. In my pocket, feeling the different types of vibrations, I'm able to decide if it's even worth taking a look at it, or the conversation can go on without interruption.

I rarely go out to pubs, clubs and the likes. And there, my priority isn't browsing the web, at all, instead having a good time with friends.

You see, your last post clearly shows YOUR priorities, not mine. I leave all this browsing, youtubing and time wasting stuff for at night.

Thank you for your input, but please, accept that other folks, other usage patterns. Because I'm not having the slightest objection against YOUR habits (this is clearly speaking about using cellphones). I respect that you like to type fast with both hands.

So, this is just nitpicking, cause we're getting too spoiled with all this super futuristic "can't live without" applications, innovations.... give me a break.

And don't look down on me for this, but always liked and still prefer to write letters or some notes, with the good old pencil, pen. Technology evolves, but that's just too much, for ME, no one forces me to get used to, if not interested in some gimmicks. I'll pass, and life goes on. Wich direction I'm choosing? The most enjoyable, for ME, not for the sake of "getting the latest life changing innovations".

Dude, coming to your point, I just realized that if you have a swype keyboard, single handed typing is a sort of fun. I am still using the stock keyboard so, looks like I have to move into 3rd party swype keyboards, whether I use single handed typing or both the hands.

What do you suggest?

JanuarJaguar

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you are right (regards swype keyboard).
To be honest, I'm not an app collector, so haven't had the chance to try it out, therefore I can't recommend a specific one.
My advice would be, to download some of them, and choose (purchase) which is the most comfortable to your usage patterns. Also, be aware that there will be a learning curve (maybe can take up to a few days, to even get the hang of it).
Same as you, I'm using stock keyboard, without auto-correction (even though I'm not an english person), suggestions turned on.
My only gripe is that I can not accommodate to writing with touch sensitive keyboards, but that's because I'm old fashioned.

And here, let me take the chance to ask from the forum members:

- Do any of you, kind users know a reliable third party keyboard (no delay when typing, no application crashes), which can give the user Vibrating Feedback? Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks and have a good day.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys can someone suggest me a 3rd party keyboard that has numbers on the top? When I look at my wife's Note 5 and dad's S6 Edge+, It has the numbers on the top, thus we don't have to switch in order to enter numbers, which saves a lot of time

A lot of time? Hmm. My testing shows it takes less than ? second to switch. Tapping the 123 key for numbers never bothered me. The keyboard is big enough as it is, and I certainly don't want smaller keys.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
A lot of time? Hmm. My testing shows it takes less than ? second to switch. Tapping the 123 key for numbers never bothered me. The keyboard is big enough as it is, and I certainly don't want smaller keys.

Yes it never bothers me either. But I have seen that i use alpha-numeric numerous times (most of the times while using email addresses) and what I found is, in my wife's Note 5 using numbers along with alphabets is much easier and faster compared to tapping.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
And here, let me take the chance to ask from the forum members:

- Do any of you, kind users know a reliable third party keyboard (no delay when typing, no application crashes), which can give the user Vibrating Feedback? Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks and have a good day.
SwiftKey seems to be doing all of that very well for me. I have never had any kind of delays with it either.

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. Swype was a major reason for me to keep going back to Android. I absolutely love Swype.

I have the 3rd party version on my iPhone SE but it doesn't feel the same.

The swipe keyboard on the iPhone work fine for me and I prefer SwiftKey on both android and iOS. The only problem I have with the keyboard is that the voice to text button is not on any third-party keyboard. It is only on the Starkey board so with pretty cumbersome to switch back-and-forth. Yes I know I know it takes a fraction of a second to push and hold down the button that changes the keyboard, but I preferred to have one keyboard that I use all the time that I don't need to keep switching back-and-forth for. I wish there was a way to just have voice to text on any keyboard and then not need to switch.

Nutcase4u

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
It can give haptic feedback, and I have to say that SwiftKey is my personal favorite keyboard I've ever used. Even if you have the 6S+ then you can resize it for one handed operation, where it compresses the keyboard to either left or right side. Only downfall was stated before, and it doesn't have the little microphone button to use talk-to-text. SwiftKey flow has much more accurate prediction than other 3rd party keyboards.
In all honesty I hate finger pecking each letter when texting with one or two hands. I use the 6S+ with SwiftKey one-handed keyboard, and love it!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
You're welcome! Remember to allow it full access so that you can use it the way it is intended. Something that I love about it is how it remembers email addresses. I use about 2 or 3 email addresses on a daily basis, and not having to type the full thing each time like I had to on my other phones is such a time saver.

As said, the Swipe function is wonderful. Just do your regular typing and watch it get used to you.