Did I make a mistake or ?

ssfarm

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Well I just had to comment after getting my SE yesterday. I went from a 6+ to the SE. I have to admit I was excited but skeptical at the same time. I got the phone home and set it up so I could let the person take delivery of my old 6+.

The first feeling you get right out of the box is boy it feels good to have a phone that fits the hand again. The performance was excellent. But I will say at first it took a little use to going back to a 4 inch phone. But it took less time to adjust back to the 4 inch phone than it did to adjust to the 5.5 inch phone. The screen is nice so no problems there. I had an element case to put on it and glass protector and after doing that it felt really well in the hands.

After the excitement wore off I had a pause that did I make a mistake. Can I get use to the smaller screen again. Is the keyboard going to be too small. Well there is only one way to find out. So after setting it up and getting the honeymoon over I went about my day. And I have to say the SE was everything I had hoped it would be. I was able to put it in my pocket or place it anywhere I wanted and not have to worry about breaking the thing. Gone was the days of lugging my 6+ around and losing one hand to always having to have a place to put it or carry it. It was easy to put it back in my turtleback holster to carry it around or get in my car and not have this huge case that I had trouble putting my seatbelt on or moving in my seat. I had my life back.

Now I am not condemning the larger phones and I guess I bought mine just like many and it was for the performance of the larger phones. I had lost portability. With the SE I got that back. So after two days now it was like coming home. Making a phone call was a breeze and answering any and all text or email was just like old times. Browsing the web was a piece of cake. And battery life was outstanding. The charging time seems really quick with this model as compared to the old 5s. I think I made a good choice.

But I am curious how everyone else who has gotten one if your SE is everything you remember or if its new to you how your cell phone life with the smaller phone has gone and did you make a mistake?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Great! My eyes dictate the larger screen, but the smaller 4" phone would certainly be easier to carry around. But I haven't really had issues with the 5.5" screen phone. I'm a two handed user, so...

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Great! My eyes dictate the larger screen, but the smaller 4" phone would certainly be easier to carry around. But I haven't really had issues with the 5.5" screen phone. I'm a two handed user, so...

I love my 6s+ I am used to bigger screens. But in future if there arise a need for a secondary smartphone, it will certainly be SE

Maljunulo

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
iPhone 4 > Nexus 4 > Moto G 2015 > iPhone SE.

I won't go back, but I will get the T-Mobile $3.00 per month deal, just to keep the Moto G alive for a backup.

Redundancy is a good thing.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I always ask myself if I've made a mistake with the SE....until I use it again.

The speed and power of this little thing is just outstanding! The only time I doubt my SE is when I'm at home streaming media. While at home, I can easily grab a iPad.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think there are those who really like the size of the Plus phones that will really like the smaller phones again. Particularly due to how cumbersome the larger phones are (but manageable) -- not having to worry about it is probably a relief!

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Great review. I been thinking about the SE since I always considered the iPhone 5S to be the best iPhone size, and style out of their entire line up. Will take your review into consideration, thank you and enjoy your new phone.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I stopped by a Verizon store today to test drive the SE. That thing is really fast and smooth, very nice device. I agree with the portability issues some people have with the larger devices. I'm still using my 5s and love the device. I've been thinking about getting a 6s, but the SE is tempting.

samuellv

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
How's the battery life compared to the Plus? I too am on a 6 plus and contemplating on buying the SE. The battery life is one of the major considerations. I can barely get by with the Plus, so the SE for me would have to be on par or better when it comes to battery life before I can consider replacing my current phone. Please let me know. Thanks!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

So glad you are enjoying your experience with the SE. I would love to be able to use a smaller phone. I currently have the 6, but am moving to the Plus when the 7 is announced. My sight dictates having a larger phone. Well enjoy that new phone and thanks for sharing your experience!

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
How's the battery life compared to the Plus? I too am on a 6 plus and contemplating on buying the SE. The battery life is one of the major considerations. I can barely get by with the Plus, so the SE for me would have to be on par or better when it comes to battery life before I can consider replacing my current phone. Please let me know. Thanks!

There are so many variables on battery life. Everyone has different uses.

When I had my 6+ (not a S), I could get 1 1/2-2 days of battery out of it. I mainly use my phone as a communication device. Text, email, and talk with occasional web surfing and reading forums here and there. I don't do much social media, pics or videos. I do use Strava/Pandora combo 3-4 times a week.

I've really been putting the SE thru the paces and am still ending up with about 40% about 11pm. I usually unplug around 6:30am. So far the battery has been getting better. I'm really impressed so far.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Well, coming back from 5.5" to 4" was a bold move.... I still think 4.7" is the sweet spot, but for some reasons I would like to buy an even smaller device. No sense in the switch from 6S to a SE, but I will consider a switch from a 6S to an hypothetical SE2

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Actually, I got rid of the 6+ a long time ago for a Note 5.

I was always bouncing between the Note 5 and iPhone 6 until I got wind of the SE. Once I heard of the SE, I immediately popped my sim back into my 5s to see if I'd like it......and I loved it!

So to be honest, I came from a 4.7" to a 4" screen. But I just like the build and sleeper mode of the SE.

ssfarm

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
As I continue to use my SE daily it certainly reminds me of good old days. It hard to go wrong the second time around as I already know the short comings from before. Battery life is good for me. Also when I put it in the windshield to use it as a GPS my windshield is not longer blocked as before. Accessories are very well priced at the moment. Cases and any accessory I want is very reasonably priced.

I don't miss my 6+ at all. I have no buyer remorse at all. It is fun again to be able to pickup one handed and use it one handed without issue. And if need be I can change the text size should my eyes fail me. lol. So with all the features of high end phones and the portability of SE I think I am set. Probably in future models I am sure they will get closer in features. Probably 3D touch will come to this model if it stays supported. But I can honestly say I cannot come up with one item to fault the phone. It is just a great 4 inch phone.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up!! I loved my 5S when I had it but messaging was a hassle because of my nails so I couldn't go back. The size of the Plus is perfect & I have no issues with portability. I don't use bulky cases, when I have a case on it, so it fits everywhere I need to put it without a problem.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
As I continue to use my SE daily it certainly reminds me of good old days. It hard to go wrong the second time around as I already know the short comings from before. Battery life is good for me. Also when I put it in the windshield to use it as a GPS my windshield is not longer blocked as before. Accessories are very well priced at the moment. Cases and any accessory I want is very reasonably priced.

I don't miss my 6+ at all. I have no buyer remorse at all. It is fun again to be able to pickup one handed and use it one handed without issue. And if need be I can change the text size should my eyes fail me. lol. So with all the features of high end phones and the portability of SE I think I am set. Probably in future models I am sure they will get closer in features. Probably 3D touch will come to this model if it stays supported. But I can honestly say I cannot come up with one item to fault the phone. It is just a great 4 inch phone.

Your note on buyer's remorse is very interesting to me. I have purchased so many phones this year (and returned 98% of them) and I have had that feeling for almost all of them. It's only day 2 for me, but I don't have any buyer's remorse either. To be honest, I'm shocked because by now, I would have had it. Using my phone one handed is refreshing. Even though I have long fingers, I recall my fingers getting tired of one hand use on my 5" and 5.2" screen phones, especially for the latter. The fact that it fits in my pocket, it's powerful, great connectivity all around, and great back camera is a combo I never thought I would have. The price is the kicker but no remorse here. So pleased.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Your note on buyer's remorse is very interesting to me. I have purchased so many phones this year (and returned 98% of them) and I have had that feeling for almost all of them. It's only day 2 for me, but I don't have any buyer's remorse either. To be honest, I'm shocked because by now, I would have had it. Using my phone one handed is refreshing. Even though I have long fingers, I recall my fingers getting tired of one hand use on my 5" and 5.2" screen phones, especially for the latter. The fact that it fits in my pocket, it's powerful, great connectivity all around, and great back camera is a combo I never thought I would have. The price is the kicker but no remorse here. So pleased.

One handed operation is good for browsing, scrolling and other applications. But why on earth would someone use single hand for typing or dialing? Now matter how small the device, is I always use both my hands for typing and dialing. Its for 4 times faster with both the hands.

ethylove

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I ditched my 5s for a 6s plus before I went on a two week vacation sans laptop. I've been having trouble ever since. The two handed ordeal and never fitting in my pocket, surprisingly, got to me. I simply have small hands and prioritize single handed usage to a monstrous screen. Expensive lesson learned. Oops.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal