Did Earpods outdo Apple Earphones?

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to buy them.

earpoddsc09021.jpg

What could it hurt. They look okay and the buttons are bigger. They're cheaper and the packaging is better.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have used them. The sound is good, but the fit is ok. Better than the old ones, but they still slip out of my ears some.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Mine stay unopened in box for the resale later. Are they any good? Don't really care as I already have a high end set.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine stay unopened in box for the resale later. Are they any good? Don't really care as I already have a high end set.

I'll let you know, with my expertise in Apple products

You can trust me. When I first heard about Apple changing the headphones, it already intrigued me, I'd been waiting. I'm curious.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I have adequate reason to buy them. My current Apple headphones sounds great, but this is the only thing that really bugs me.

TXIJG.jpg

NickFL2011

May 18, 2010
Visit site
They fit and feel much better than the originals did to me. Sound quality is a little better but not drastically better. For a bundled pair they are not bad. I could not stand the previous ones as they hurt my ears after only a few minutes and so far these are much more comfortable.

Overall though, they still won't replace a decent pair of higher end headphones. I prefer in-ear canal phones and have used Etymotics, Shure, and currently a Sennheiser pair and I can a big step up in quality moving to one of those.

For $30 of course these apple ones sound decent. Though, Sony makes (or made) in-ear models around the same price that had better noise isolation and I thought sounded pretty good for budget priced headphones <$50.

All in all, good to use as the included pair. I probably wouldn't buy them separately as there are other sets out there for same price that probably sound better.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't really want to take the chance now, because, well, I don't like in-ear anything.

Talk about Earwax central. They should've just done 3 main types that fit most ears instead of 1, honestly I don't think the new ones are going to stay in my ears.

leahg725

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I honestly really like the earpods they shipped with the iPhone 5. I can run with them and not feel like they are going to fall out of my ear. I always felt that with the other ones and other types of headphones. These rest comfortably in the little dip in your ear. I could always tell when the tight in ear headphones were going to fall out soon when the music got dimmer and dimmer in that ear. These don't have this problem. I don't have to adjust them at all.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Bought em' today, yes, they did outdo the previous ones.

Earpods are what Apple Earbuds should have been. They're the upgrade you were looking for.

If you're wondering if anything really changed, it did.

Notables include the bass, the shape, and the feel. It's almost like you have full on headphones on, but your ears feel free. When you turn them all the way up, the sound it doesn't distort.

It can't fall out of your ear because it's the same width as the previous ones. And they still retain their signature look.

butisitamac

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5?s New EarPods Have More Bass Than Dre?s Beats Earbuds [First Impressions] | Cult of Mac

Apple?s new EarPods have better sound quality than Dr. Dre

Apple "Earpods" vs. Dre Beats earbuds

...1 second google search found these headlines right up top...keep searching and you'll find more over the last week. Of course one could argue these blogs are a bit biased, I'm sure we'll have some more general reviews from less Apple focused websites soon. I've also read that the dre beats earbuds don't even work on most cell phones...and let's not forget that the Apple earpods are also a handsfree device, letting you make calls using them as well.

Interesting conversation in this thread:)

I'm no studio engineer, not even associated with music in a professional sense but I do have a passion for great music and great sound! I do have a great deal of experience with different types of earbuds and headphones- 2 different sets of Tour Beats by Dre. (The left ear went out on the first pair I owned).

My thoughts are YMMV that there's a tool for every job out there and similarly certain types of music sound fantastic on certain types of headphones. I don't listen to music with an outsized amount of Bass- though in some films on the iPhone or iPad it can be helpful to have headphones or buds that can handle over pronounced bass without going all James Bond villain on me.

That being said Dre Tours? A bit over priced- in fact quite a bit over priced. The quality is Aces but the sound is not blow your mind $160 sound in my opinion. As for the EarPods I cannot say, but even after what I said about the Tour Beats I have a difficult time believing that the EarPods sound better than them. I'd be happy to be proven wrong- in fact I'd be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong. When they get here I'll update the thread and let everybody know what I think after I've burned them in...

---------- Post Merged at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:50 PM ----------

I don't really want to take the chance now, because, well, I don't like in-ear anything.

Talk about Earwax central. They should've just done 3 main types that fit most ears instead of 1, honestly I don't think the new ones are going to stay in my ears.

Earwax was my big complaint about the old design. I've always had quite a few different headsets lying about- pair on the counter in the kitchen, pair in the home office, pair at the work office, pair in the car, pair wadded up on the passenger floor in the car:) You know the drill- you grab what's near and use them when it's convenient!

One of the things I've always noticed though is that the screens of the old Apple buds always became caked with earwax and therefore diminished the sound quality and volume. Perhaps my ears just produce more- heck, I don't know- but it did become a bit annoying and one of the main complaints that I always had.

Great point mertrion!

---------- Post Merged at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Earwax was my big complaint about the old design. I've always had quite a few different headsets lying about- pair on the counter in the kitchen, pair in the home office, pair at the work office, pair in the car, pair wadded up on the passenger floor in the car:) You know the drill- you grab what's near and use them when it's convenient!

One of the things I've always noticed though is that the screens of the old Apple buds always became caked with earwax and therefore diminished the sound quality and volume. Perhaps my ears just produce more- heck, I don't know- but it did become a bit annoying and one of the main complaints that I always had.

Great point mertrion!

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I love how they fit much better than the traditional earbuds. The round ones always hurt my ears, these just go right in and don't bother me with a lot of use.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
One mistake Apple made with these is the buttons are huge now and take an EXTREME amount of effort to use. Downgrade on that.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You used to be able to get a response out of the earbuds wherever you pressed them. These Earpods, because the remote is built differently, has a "Dead space" where you get no response if you press them. So they're 3 separate buttons now instead of however they were doing it before.

qn426e.jpg

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
You used to be able to get a response out of the earbuds wherever you pressed them. These Earpods, because the remote is built differently, has a "Dead space" where you get no response if you press them. So they're 3 separate buttons now instead of however they were doing it before.

I had the same problem at first, but you'll adjust to it quickly.