Diagnostics and Usage Data

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to delete the diagnostics and usage data from the iPhone 4S? If so, I don't see it. Seems to me that if these diagnostics and crash logs just continue loading without being deleted, they'd eventually eat up memory? I have it set to NOT automatically send to Apple, since that probably uses up more battery power.

Also, why is it that there are crashes and low memory logs in diagnostics and usage, when I never get any sort of warning or error message indicating a problem of any kind? The phone just runs fine with no issues. Occasionally, Vtok or Facebook might shut down on me, but I've never received an out of memory warning message of any kind, yet there are logs here that show "LowMemory" three days in a row. What's going on here?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to delete the diagnostics and usage data from the iPhone 4S? If so, I don't see it. Seems to me that if these diagnostics and crash logs just continue loading without being deleted, they'd eventually eat up memory? I have it set to NOT automatically send to Apple, since that probably uses up more battery power.

Also, why is it that there are crashes and low memory logs in diagnostics and usage, when I never get any sort of warning or error message indicating a problem of any kind? The phone just runs fine with no issues. Occasionally, Vtok or Facebook might shut down on me, but I've never received an out of memory warning message of any kind, yet there are logs here that show "LowMemory" three days in a row. What's going on here?

The reason you don't see an error is the phone manages its own memory as far as deleting the logs I don't think there is a way sorry.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, with 32GB, it will probably take a while for those logs to take up any real space. Hoped there was a way to delete them but, oh well.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the logs, it only keeps a few days worth (at least for me) and a few weeks worth would amount to a very small amount of megabytes. Maybe fill a couple of 3.5" disks at most.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at my logs and I have 2 extremely small logs there both about 1 page I have send to apple turned off... both of my logs are low memory logs from today

Tnsnew

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
It is a big deal...there is information in those logs that are personal that need to have the ability to be deleted. Some are very trivial issues, however there is information contained in there related to applications I use I wish not to be viewed by others. It's truly no different from having the ability to delete cache/history from Safari or phone calls/txt msgs from your phone. There is highly technical specific information in there.
It needs updated for deletion..!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my iPhone (11/4) within the first week I learned of the diag & use logs.....well...let me tell you I was checking them almost everyday going crazy trying to figure out what anything meant. I was literally driving myself crazy when I would see a "crash" log, or the one time I got a low memory log....finally I got to a point and realized I was driving myself crazy stressing over it and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it lol. My phone runs fine, so I stopped looking, stopped worrying, stopped stressing about it and I just enjoy the he11 outta my phone now:)

If your phone is running fine, save yourself from worrying and don't look anymore :)

Ps. When I was on bb's for yrs,i had a bad habit of poking in at the alt LGLG event logs as well.....:eek: until I finally gave up with that too.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my iPhone (11/4) within the first week I learned of the diag & use logs.....well...let me tell you I was checking them almost everyday going crazy trying to figure out what anything meant. I was literally driving myself crazy when I would see a "crash" log, or the one time I got a low memory log....finally I got to a point and realized I was driving myself crazy stressing over it and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it lol. My phone runs fine, so I stopped looking, stopped worrying, stopped stressing about it and I just enjoy the he11 outta my phone now:)

If your phone is running fine, save yourself from worrying and don't look anymore :)

Ps. When I was on bb's for yrs,i had a bad habit of poking in at the alt LGLG event logs as well.....:eek: until I finally gave up with that too.

every electronic computer device phone anything has error logs... just most the time companys dont make them visible to us..

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
every electronic computer device phone anything has error logs... just most the time companys dont make them visible to us..

:) yes, I agree. Jeez, I rem the days of using just a basic cell phone (lg env) and all this data and logging ish wasn't avail for us to see within the phone itself. So there was no stressing over what any of the errors or what not even meant cuz they didn't exsist visibly to us.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Besides with apples ecosystem it's not like we're still stuck on a bb and have to manually delete the event log ... How I don't miss those days lol

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My log gets cleared every few days, with no input from me. I think it gets cleared out too when you charge, but I'm not 100 percent on that.

anon(4708395)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Connect it to iTunes via USB on your Mac, sync and they will all transfer to the computer and clear out of the phone. You can then delete then from the Mac via Console.

arvidasl

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
diagnostic&usage data

Remove this data is simple for jailbroken iphone:
Download and instal iFile from cydia. Run iFile.In the bottom hit home icon,then>library>logs>crash reporter. Then delete all files that are not in the folders,and all files in folder "Retired". Empty trash,respring. Thats all . Diagnostic & usage data field is empty.
Mine iphone 4, iOS 5.01.

Last edited:

Reggie72

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Removing diag logs...

To remove the diag logs: connect to iTunes on comp - right click on device & click "reset warnings" - that's it ;)

John Mueller

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to report that your supposition is incorrect. I regularly sync my iPhone to my computer at least twice a week, usually more. I currently have diagnostic and usage logs that are dated more that three months ago. If we assume for the moment that the log itself it very small, say 5 Kb. And we have a 32GB device then yes it will take a long while to fill up the space. But that ignores the fact that the file system must still keep track of all these files. If we have a finite number of files that will fit on the drive because only so much of the drive is dedicated to keeping track of the files, and because each file must take up a minimum amount of space (a sector or block) even a 1 byte file must necessarily take up some minimum amount of space usually at least 4 Kb.

One doesn't have to work the math too hard to see that pretty quickly these diagnostic files can start to cause problems.

Does Jailbreaking the device cause these files to stop being sent regardless of the setting of "automatically send" or "don't send"?

I know that before I jailbroke my iPhone it would clear most if not all, the diagnostic files fairly regularly. Since I jailbroke it, it appears to have stopped!