Device memory or iCloud storage - photos taken on my iPhone

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Whatever photos I take do they use device memory of the are saved on iCloud. Secondly what is photo library and is it a good idea to sync photos and videos with iCloud as I am thinking of saving more space on iCloud storage.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do my photos are taking up space both on my device and iCloud?

They are taking up space on both devices. If you go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and select Optimize iPhone Storage it will store full resolution photos in iCloud and lower resolution photos on your device, which should help free up some local storage. When you open photos, a full res version will download temporarily to your device so you have easy access to the best quality version.
If you're looking to store your photos remotely without using up device storage I recommend a cloud solution like Dropbox or OneDrive.
272298a858f036e6e6ae370e62cd7158.475221

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
And iCloud back up is different from iCloud Photo Library. Back up only backs up what is currently on your device. It's not storage. iCloud Photo Library is more like storage. Kinda like Dropbox.

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you DevolishBanker what do you prefer should I keep iCloud storage for backups, emails, contacts and other items to be synced? And keep my photos on Dropbox as I am already using it and can I delete photos from my device after they are uploaded to Dropbox? By the way can I access my Dropbox photos later even where I have no coverage/ signals?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you DevolishBanker what do you prefer should I keep iCloud storage for backups, emails, contacts and other items to be synced? And keep my photos on Dropbox as I am already using it and can I delete photos from my device after they are uploaded to Dropbox? By the way can I access my Dropbox photos later even where I have no coverage/ signals?

It's ultimately your decision. I pay a couple dollars a month for a premium iCloud storage plan and have a 128GB iPhone 6s Plus so I'm not particularly worried about running out of space. If I were concerned I would use Dropbox because it integrates well into iOS. If you are in an area with no data service and no access to wifi you would need to have the photos stored locally on your device in order to access them.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I prefer the integration with the phone through iCloud Photo Library, though I do have photos backed up to Dropbox via their app. With iCloud, they're all in one spot, vs being in two spots if you use Dropbox instead.

I'd still leave iCloud turned on for everything else if you do choose to disable the photo part. That will make switching devices easier.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you again for your reply and what I understand I should use iCloud for storage, backups and syncing?

If you use iCloud for storage of photos and videos, you will run out of storage space real fast. Then you will need to buy more space. You get 5 gb free. I use that for backing up my phone. But I store photos and videos in cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. I prefer not to use iCloud Photo Library. But that's me. Optimally, do both of everything. Back up the phone to iCloud and iTunes. Also store photos on iCloud Photo Library and also use cloud based apps. It's just extra protection. However you decide is fine. But do it. LOL you never know what might happen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen