Delay in sounds when using 3rd gen Apple TV as optical audio for 4th gen Apple TV

I

iMore Question

Noticeable delay, especially for voice due to the 4th gen Apple TV omitting the optical audio jack. I used the method listed on this page to connect my 4th gen to a av receiver via 3 gen.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to understand the situation you are trying to describe, but I need more information.

First of all, why do you have 2 Apple TV’s connected to the receiver?

Every television out there has 2 or more HDMI inputs.
Connect the 4th gen to the HDMI port which has the ARC support.
Then connect an optical cable from your TV to the receiver.

The HDMI port with ARC support will relay the sound from the 4th gen Apple TV to your receiver via the TV.

Then you can either use the 3rd gen in another room or resell it to someone else.

If you have any questions please register here to our forum. We love to help.

Edit: here is some extra information about HDMI ARC https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

Last edited:

deanepook

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I recently purchased a 4th gen Apple TV only to discover that the optical audio port had be omitted.

I did some searching for a solution and found an article on your site that explained that you could use the 3rd gens optical port that is connected to my AV receiver as I had previously used and connect the 4th gen to it via bluetooth in the Audio Video settings. All works well but I find there is a noticeable delay in voice, its not in sync with the picture.

Just for your info, neither my av receiver or tv support ARC albeit they are only a couple of years old.

I know I could just upgrade my amp...and tv to support ARC but that's just not in the budget right now.

If only Apple had left the optical port alone, all would be fine.

Think I might return the 4th gen to apple.

Cheers,
Deane

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If your AMP has an input HDMI, you could connect the 4th gen directly to it and an HDMI cable in the output port to your TV.

deanepook

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
Yes it has but found that it passes the signal straight through bypassing amps benefits. That in itself wouldn't be so bad if the tv didn't have such awful speakers.

I think I've reached the end of the rope right?

Cheers,
Deane

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m sorry I couldn’t be of any help.

To me it seemed logical that the amp would handle the sound and bypassing only the video signal for obvious reasons.

I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t handle the sound of the input port .

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad