Decisions Decisions..

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this topic has been posted before, however I am moving from an antique Moto on Sprint
Q9c and considering an I4. Shall I go ahead or wait for the new I5 in summer?

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't wait.....worse comes to worse, sell the 4 on eBay and buy the 5 outright. Thats IF Verizon gets one, which there's no guarantee.

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just my personal theory on such things but....

When I'm thinking about buying a gizmo, I always buy based on what's available right NOW. Sure you could wait until the iPhone 5 comes out. But a month after it's out, you'll see threads about people waiting for the iPhone 6 before they upgrade. I was ready for a new phone to replace my ailing Moto Droid, so I bought the iPhone. I could have waited, but why bother? It's not like a cell phone is something you keep for years and years. And what features could they possibly come out with that wouldn't be waiting an extra few months for?

That's just my opinion.

laiza_j

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Just my personal theory on such things but....

When I'm thinking about buying a gizmo, I always buy based on what's available right NOW. Sure you could wait until the iPhone 5 comes out. But a month after it's out, you'll see threads about people waiting for the iPhone 6 before they upgrade. I was ready for a new phone to replace my ailing Moto Droid, so I bought the iPhone. I could have waited, but why bother? It's not like a cell phone is something you keep for years and years. And what features could they possibly come out with that wouldn't be waiting an extra few months for?

That's just my opinion.

well said; and its true. if u like it, get it, if the new one impress u, get it too. that's the thrill

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally wouldn't wait, but then again I have no problem paying full retail for a device, and selling my old device on eBay. Just did that exact thing. Went from a Droid X. We don't even know that Verizon will get the iphone 5 in June/July. It may not happen until next year sometime. Maybe Verizon will be on a different product refresh cycle.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd wait, but given you have an older phone now, the question is can you hold off till June or July for now. Are you on a contract? If so when does your contract expire?

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd wait, but given you have an older phone now, the question is can you hold off till June or July for now. Are you on a contract? If so when does your contract expire?

Has it been announced for sure that the iPhone 5 will be released in June or July? And that it will be available on Verizon?

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Here what I read about the I5: iPhone 5 to feature A5 processor.

The oft-quoted DigiTimes, a Taiwanese tech industry favorite publication, has revealed that Apple is outsourcing the production of its A5 processor chip, which many expect will be based on the ARM Cortex A9 design and used in the forthcoming iPhone 5, to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.
AppleInsider reports that Apple's A4 chip is currently produced by Samsung Electronics, but the move to Taiwan Semiconductor for production of the A5 chip is because of Samsung's inability to keep up with Apple's supply demands.
This rumor follows many regarding Apple's iPhone lineup, including a larger, 4-inch screen and an iPhone Nano.
The DigiTimes report also speculates that the iPad 2 will retain use of the current A4 chip, though it will be an enhanced version of it. The iPhone 5 will be the first to sport the new A5 chip.

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Right. And the one after that will have the XQX76 chip. And I heard the one after that will have a built in Espresso machine. There will ALWAYS be the next big thing. And that article doesn't even say WHEN it will be out. What will the new chip be able to do that you can't do now? I guess what I'm saying is, if it's real important to you that you be the first one on your street with the new chip, then wait and get it as soon as it's out. It's a personal choice. For me, it's easier to upgrade when I'm due. Sure, I may get the A5 chip a few months later than I could have, but it's not like I'll be stuck with a Motorola StarTac for those months. The phone I have now does everything I need it to. The added stress of constantly chasing the next big thing just isn't worth it to me.

For instance... I bought a new phone shortly after the 1st iPhone came out. Lots of people told me I was stupid, that the iPhone for Verizon would be out announced any time. Then I bought my LG EnV. And people told me the EnV2 would be out any day. Next was the Droid, I got that pretty soon after it came out. But when I bought it, there was already talk of the Droid 2. When I bought the iPhone, I had people telling me the iPhone 5 would soon be out. Or maybe I should have waited for the Droid Bionic. In technology, there will always be something new on the horizon. The next big thing will only be the next big thing for a few days until another big thing comes out. I've found it much less stressful to be concerned with having something that works for me NOW. ;-) If the 5 comes out and it's life changing, sell the 4 and buy a 5, or hang with the 4 for a few months and then get the 5. Think of it this way, if you don't buy the iPhone 4, you're stuck with what you have for the next X months til the 5 comes. If you do buy the iPhone 4, and the iPhone 5 comes out this summer, the worst case scenario is that you'll be stuck with an iPhone 4. Not the worst thing in the world, it seems like a fine phone.
YMMV.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods