Debating on switching to a 5s

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I just recently switched from my iPhone 4 to a Lumia 925 and I was so excited!! After having the phone for all of 2 days I've already had to do 2 soft resets and I've had the OS freeze up on me multiple times. These are the same problems that I had with my first Windows Phone and I ended up switching to my iPhone 4 instead. I've still got a week before AT&T's 14 day return program expires and I honestly can't decide if I'm going to keep the device or not. Any advice?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Switch now.... because if you don't every time something happens with the Lumia you'll wish you'd have switched while you still had the chance...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I use to have a win phone running 6.0 it ran ok for those times a few freezes but that was normal. Fast forward to 2014 I couldn't except that much instability that's why I rock a 5s

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have no experience with Windows Phone so I don't know how they compare to the iPhone 5S which I have.
But if you know iPhone from your experience with the 4 you know you are getting a huge improvement going with a 5S.
I'm satisfied with the iPhone no need for me to try anything else.
But if you are not satisfied with the Windows Phone go with the 5S.
All devices have their issues and they all have to be reset from time to time and some have freezes even the iPhone.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no experience with Windows phone, so I can't compare the two. You have some experience with iPhones and iOS. Use which device works for you and meets your needs. IMO and experience iPhone is stable and works very well. Good luck with your decision. :)

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Win Phone use to be unstable but I can't believe it's still that way, considering tech advancements. If you're already having problems you might as well switch now or you'll regret it.

Sent from my iPad on TMoUSA using iMore Forums mobile app

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My mom had the HTC 8X and the OS was a mess. She had issues quite often and I got sick of hearing about it so I bought her an S4, which she loves. I say if you're questioning your device choice then its not a good decision to keep it. Switch now before you miss your return window!

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My last phone was a Lumia 920, used the device for 9 months recently sold it and got a 5s. While WP8 is very cool and unique, it has a share of bugs I experienced that encouraged me to switch...biggest issue being random battery drain. My advice would be to switch to iPhone and wait for WP9 like I am.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I just recently switched from my iPhone 4 to a Lumia 925 and I was so excited!! After having the phone for all of 2 days I've already had to do 2 soft resets and I've had the OS freeze up on me multiple times. These are the same problems that I had with my first Windows Phone and I ended up switching to my iPhone 4 instead. I've still got a week before AT&T's 14 day return program expires and I honestly can't decide if I'm going to keep the device or not. Any advice?

You're already having problems and second guessing the choice. I'd say to follow your guts and go with the phone that you'll feel more reliable depending on. I personally can't do Windows Mobile phones but that's my personal opinion. I wish you the best of luck in your decision. ^_^

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
My last phone was a Lumia 920, used the device for 9 months recently sold it and got a 5s. While WP8 is very cool and unique, it has a share of bugs I experienced that encouraged me to switch...biggest issue being random battery drain. My advice would be to switch to iPhone and wait for WP9 like I am.

Exactly. Like my battery will be at 42%, then an hour later after almost no use its dying. It makes no sense to me. I love WP8 just because it is so cool and unique, but my iPhone (even if iOS is rather stale in comparison IMO) was always solid and I almost never had any problems with it.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a Lumia 920. Windows phones are stable but they seriously need to work hard to get to the iPhone level. I'd recommend you to switch to an iPhone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Like my battery will be at 42%, then an hour later after almost no use its dying. It makes no sense to me. I love WP8 just because it is so cool and unique, but my iPhone (even if iOS is rather stale in comparison IMO) was always solid and I almost never had any problems with it.

Yes battery drain is a common problem, likely it's related to the background processes of stopped/killed apps are hung and eating away. Unlike iPhone where I could have 10 processes in the background and the battery will always drain equally even and fair, WP is all over the place and I'm hoping wp9 address these os issues. Aside from that, notification centre needs to be added as well as a high end 4" phone (another reason I left, prefer iPhone size). WP is very cool I agree, I had a wp7 and wp8 but it still needs to be matured.

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes battery drain is a common problem, likely it's related to the background processes of stopped/killed apps are hung and eating away. Unlike iPhone where I could have 10 processes in the background and the battery will always drain equally even and fair, WP is all over the place and I'm hoping wp9 address these os issues. Aside from that, notification centre needs to be added as well as a high end 4" phone (another reason I left, prefer iPhone size). WP is very cool I agree, I had a wp7 and wp8 but it still needs to be matured.

The lack of a proper notification center is so frustrating. My phone dings and I get it out of my pocket, then I have to search and figure out which app the notification came from.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

My primary concern is what happens to your phone once Microsoft takes charge of Nokia's handset division.

Good luck with your decision.

Btw: touch id is a game changer.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
It depends what you want to use your phone for?

I have the Lumia 920 and it's rock solid, no freezes or randomn battery drain. I know yours is a 925, but I wonder whether the problems you have are related to carrier-fiddling of the WP8 OS? Would the same be true for an iPhone?

There have been some comments above about battery life and I can give a pretty good comparison from this week of Lumia 920 and iPhone 5 battery life. I was in London for the day with my brother, we both had out phones. My brother turned the screen brightness down to minimum, I didn't. We both used our phones for calls, email and I took a number of photos, but my brother didn't. We used the internet fairly equally too. By 5pm, his iP5 was down to 13%, my Lumia still had 40%.

I'm not sure if this helps and I realise that you're talking about the 5s, not 5, but every little helps?

Last edited:

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
My primary concern is what happens to your phone once Microsoft takes charge of Nokia's handset division.

I don't think too much will change. Nokia and Windows send out joint updates and [as far as I am aware], Nokia will still be responsible for the software so there ought not to be update upsets. There is a big upgrade to 8.1 on its way soon too.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
The lack of a proper notification center is so frustrating. My phone dings and I get it out of my pocket, then I have to search and figure out which app the notification came from.

A notification centre is due to come with the next update to 8.1, which will sort a lot of these areas out. In the meantime, you can set different sounds for email and text. Additionally, you can set Twitter and SMS to show a preview across the top of your screen, even when the screen is off. Not perfect, but a work around until the update comes.

Last edited:

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm like you, but in reverse! I switched from iPhone5 to a 920. The bundled maps and Office were a persuader for me along with the thinking that the 920 would be more 'businessy' - at the time I couldn't silence the iPhone 5 text/email sent swoosh which sounded a little teenagery in a business meeting. However, Lumia calendar is lacking too many basic features to be a proper business phone...

When my contract is up, I am considering the 5s...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh