Debate: iPhone 8 Plus Versus iPhone X

iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X

• Total voters

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. People also act like Face ID is much slower than Touch ID. That is false. All you do is swipe up and your in. Not sure how that much longer if even longer at all. Face ID is great for a first generation. I still remember how slow and awful Touch ID was on the first generation scanner.

Exactly!!! In using both the X and the 8, I’ve found that I enjoy the fact that the X keeps my notifications open on the lock screen, since I have previews set to only show when the device is unlocked. This way I can decide if I want to address them or if I want to ignore them without going all the way into the device. I can’t do that with my 8. I have to unlock the device then pull down Notification Center.

EDIT: Didn’t know I wanted this feature until I had it LOL

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. People also act like Face ID is much slower than Touch ID. That is false. All you do is swipe up and your in. Not sure how that much longer if even longer at all.
I don’t act like Face ID is slower than Touch ID. It is slower than Touch ID. You swipe up and it takes forever for that animation to unlock and take you to the home screen. It is instanataneous with 2nd gen Touch ID. Same thing goes for apps that use Face/Touch ID. The animation is slow for Face ID.

Devilsden

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. People also act like Face ID is much slower than Touch ID. That is false. All you do is swipe up and your in. Not sure how that much longer if even longer at all. Face ID is great for a first generation. I still remember how slow and awful Touch ID was on the first generation scanner.

With my 8+ all I have to do is rest my finger on the home button and my apps come up. With the X I didn't like that I had to look at the screen and then take the time to swipe up. I know that it seems like a small issue but to me it was an additional step to getting to your apps. If I am driving I can just rest my finger on the home button and I have access to my apps.

There are a lot of people that like the X and I am sure in time i would have as well, but to me the phone right now does not justify the additional cost I would have needed to pay in order to purchase it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
With my 8+ all I have to do is rest my finger on the home button and my apps come up. With the X I didn't like that I had to look at the screen and then take the time to swipe up. I know that it seems like a small issue but to me it was an additional step to getting to your apps. If I am driving I can just rest my finger on the home button and I have access to my apps.

There are a lot of people that like the X and I am sure in time i would have as well, but to me the phone right now does not justify the additional cost I would have needed to pay in order to purchase it.

Enjoy that home button now because Touch ID will be a thing of the past on all bigger phones going forward.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Though I’m not the biggest fan of the large-ish bezels they allow for an uninterrupted screen and a wonderful battery life. A very worthy sacrifice.