Debate: iPhone 8 Plus Versus iPhone X

iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X

• Total voters

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
First I just want to make everyone aware that I am not looking to start a flame or troll thread, but I am actually looking for a constructive debate, as I'm sure that I'm not the only one debating between the 8 Plus and the X.
Currently I am debating between getting the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X. Regardless of the phone I get, it will be in the 256gb in Space Gray. I am unsure if the X is worth the $200 premium over the 8 Plus after looking at the differences here on apple's site. I looked at that comparison multiple times and the only differences that are apparent to me are the screen and camera. There is also TouchID on the 8 Plus, and FaceID on the X. But I am mostly worried about battery life.
Here's some questions to get this discussion started:
Which phone are you getting and why?
What are your thoughts between the 8 Plus and X?

Last edited:

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Probably the 10 later on just because the plus is too big. I'm 100% sure it'll get worse battery life than the 8+. One being the new goodies packed in the 10 and it has an OLED screen.

I think the 8 and 10 are both good devices, one is just a repeat of nearly half a decade and one is a new design apple wants to push on us lol. Both have pros and cons and both will make most of the user base happy.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I’m after the X. I’m excited to get a way from the metal backing (I know it’s available on all the models) and to finally decrease phone size. While I’ve adjusted quite well to the actual size of the Plus models, I’m glad to finally have the larger screen in the smaller footprint. Do I care about the animojis? No. Does the notch at the top look terrible? Yes. But finally not having to compromise physical size and screen size I’ll more then gladly take the early adoption.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably the 10 later on just because the plus is too big. I'm 100% sure it'll get worse battery life than the 8+. One being the new goodies packed in the 10 and it has an OLED screen.

I think the 8 and 10 are both good devices, one is just a repeat of nearly half a decade and one is a new design apple wants to push on us lol. Both have pros and cons and both will make most of the user base happy.

Thanks @MooMooPrincess
You are right, both do have their pros and cons. Battery life is my biggest concern and that alone will be my deciding factor. I currently have a 7 Plus and my battery life is better than my work issued 7.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I’m after the X. I’m excited to get a way from the metal backing (I know it’s available on all the models) and to finally decrease phone size. While I’ve adjusted quite well to the actual size of the Plus models, I’m glad to finally have the larger screen in the smaller footprint. Do I care about the animojis? No. Does the notch at the top look terrible? Yes. But finally not having to compromise physical size and screen size I’ll more then gladly take the early adoption.

Thanks @Zachbenguin
I do like the smaller size of my work issued 7 but like the screen size and battery life on my 7 Plus, so the X would be a perfect way to get a larger screen size on a not much larger than the 7 form factor. However, battery life is a must as I am not around a charger all day. I too don't care about animojis and someone told me that "they're creepy at best," and she is pretty smart. The notch is originally what got me debating the 8 Plus and the X as before I saw the notch at the keynote I was going to get the X. Now I am undecided and that is why I posted this. Thanks again for your input!

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
IPhone 8 Plus is the better deal. It still has TouchID, same internals as the X, has AR capabilities, true tone display, same battery life as the X, and almost the same cameras (no OIS on the zoom lens), and it's $200 less (256GB 8+ vs 256GB X).

Last edited:

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

I thought OLED uses less battery life?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
According to the Apple Store app spec sheets, the X gets nearly the same battery in all categories as the 8 Plus. There’s only like an hour difference between music playback and such. I’m getting the X myself because of the screen and gestures. I’ve been waiting for a phone like this since BB10. The notch doesn’t bother me at all, and while the screen is narrower than 8 Plus it is still bigger. And of course the OLED and “Super Retina” display.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
According to the Apple Store app spec sheets, the X gets nearly the same battery in all categories as the 8 Plus. There’s only like an hour difference between music playback and such. I’m getting the X myself because of the screen and gestures. I’ve been waiting for a phone like this since BB10. The notch doesn’t bother me at all, and while the screen is narrower than 8 Plus it is still bigger. And of course the OLED and “Super Retina” display.

There is only a one hour difference on most everything that is listed on the apple site. However, that most likely isn't real world use.
The gestures were cool and that was one of my favorite features on BB10!

kargurin

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I traded my 6 plus for a Samsung s8 plus. The iPhone 8 series need a big overhall in design. The bezels are way too big and the Plus screen has the same dull resolution. The X will be delayed, not crazy about the notch, too expensive for a first year phone and will will likely be an experiment as the bugs will get worked out. In 2018 I'll probably go back to iOS but for now very happy with the Sammy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's some questions to get this discussion started:
Which phone are you getting and why?
The iPhone 8. I wanted the smaller iPhone this time around.
What are your thoughts between the 8 Plus and X?
Both devices, of course, will provide better specs than the current and earlier iPhone models. If you prefer the edge to edge display, face detection and a smaller footprint than the iPhone X is the way to go. If you prefer TouchID, a wider display and don’t mind the bezels then the iPhone 8 Plus is the way to go, in my opinion.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I traded my 6 plus for a Samsung s8 plus. The iPhone 8 series need a big overhall in design. The bezels are way too big and the Plus screen has the same dull resolution. The X will be delayed, not crazy about the notch, too expensive for a first year phone and will will likely be an experiment as the bugs will get worked out. In 2018 I'll probably go back to iOS but for now very happy with the Sammy.

I agree that the X is an experiment and have some bugs to work out. With the same form factor being used for four generations it is kind of old and needs refreshed. Speaking of Sammy I do have a Note8 that was preordered and will be here the first week in October.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 8. I wanted the smaller iPhone this time around.

Both devices, of course, will provide better specs than the current and earlier iPhone models. If you prefer the edge to edge display, face detection and a smaller footprint than the iPhone X is the way to go. If you prefer TouchID, a wider display and don’t mind the bezels then the iPhone 8 Plus is the way to go, in my opinion.

I have a personal 7 Plus as well as a company issued 7 and I like the size of the 7 but the screen sizes of the 7 Plus. I'm indifferent in the TouchID FaceID debate as neither would be the deciding factor. The deciding factor is battery life. With that said I wouldn't have the issue with FaceID that I do with TouchID making sure the fingerprint scanner is clean.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think we could be surprised by battery life. Of course the 8/8+ will be comparable to the 7/7+, and the new tech makes the X questionable, but I’m sure we will experience a phone that can handle being unplugged all day. Individual usage is always going to give some better and some worse. OLED tech should use less since the actual black colors are going to be “turned off” pixels. The radio antennas aren’t changing, and with iOS 11 coming long before it’s out, every one will have a good idea of how that is going to affect battery life as well. It’s a waiting game at this point, but I don’t see it being as abysmal as people seem to think it will.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice