Dead Pixels / Dust Under Screen?

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Still using my launch day silver 6s. Today I noticed in the upper left hand of the screen near the signal bars what seems to be a cluster of black/dead pixels or a bit of dust that has somehow managed to find it's way into the phone screen. On the 6s I thought that the screen was supposed to be laminated, so it shouldn't be possible for dust to get inside of there, correct?

Anyone know what Apple's stance is on this under warranty? I don't live near an Apple Store, just Apple Authorized Service Providers (nor did I get AppleCare Plus.....).

Thanks in advance.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I would highly doubt it to be dust. If it is dead pixels and your phone was under warranty, then I believe Apple would replace it for you. If you are not under warranty then it will be up to Apple on how they will handle it for you. I have seen many good things from Apple over the years. My suggestion would be call Apple directly and discuss it with them. They will be best to tell you how they will handle it for you.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It should be still under warranty given that the 6s hasn't been out for a full year yet. I'll give them a ring and see what they have to say. It would be very annoying though if i have to go without a phone for any period of time.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's still under warranty so call them and see what your options are since there isn't a store near you.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So I contacted the two Apple Aurhorized Service Providers. Neither have an option of in store repair / replacement and require sending my device off to Apple. Really kind of annoying seeing as I can't be without my device for work. I'm concerended about having a faulty LCD panel and the issue just getting worse

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I contacted the two Apple Aurhorized Service Providers. Neither have an option of in store repair / replacement and require sending my device off to Apple. Really kind of annoying seeing as I can't be without my device for work. I'm concerended about having a faulty LCD panel and the issue just getting worse

How far are you from the nearest Apple Store, and if it's less than 2 hour's away, it might be worth the drive there to have a genius fix it for you.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Still using my launch day silver 6s. Today I noticed in the upper left hand of the screen near the signal bars what seems to be a cluster of black/dead pixels or a bit of dust that has somehow managed to find it's way into the phone screen. On the 6s I thought that the screen was supposed to be laminated, so it shouldn't be possible for dust to get inside of there, correct?

Anyone know what Apple's stance is on this under warranty? I don't live near an Apple Store, just Apple Authorized Service Providers (nor did I get AppleCare Plus.....).

Thanks in advance.

Dead pixels are covered under warranty. They usually do screen replacement for those so you might have to mail it in. Also, maybe Apple would be willing to send you a replacement. If you don't have Apple Care +, it's a $29 fee to do the mail process if they offer a replacement. I would just contact Apple since you don't have a store near by.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Update:

Went by an Authorized Apple Servicer. They inspected it and said that they have to send it to Apple.

Fortunately they set me up with a loaner iPhone 6 to use in the meantime. A gold iPhone is better than no iPhone in my opinion.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update for any of those that were curious.

Simply Mac got my iPhone warranty repair service it needed as an Apple Authorized Service Partner. To be honest, they were a nightmare to deal with, and next time I need service I will go through Apple directly (but that's not what this post is about). Apple replaced the screen assembly free of charge under standard warranty (no AppleCare). I was kind of hoping for a new phone, but the knicks on the corners of my device give it character.

The bad news. After about two weeks of using my device with a brand new screen, a couple of dead pixels have showed up AGAIN in the same approximate location around the signal bars. Sigh. I can't catch a break.

Darryl Hill

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
If it's still under warranty, and you've got an Apple Store within a reasonable driving distance, I'd bring it in. I had an iPad mini that appeared to have a defect under the screen, and on a whim decided to see if there was anything they could do for me. I only had about a month left on my warranty and they sent me on my way with a brand new replacement.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox