Dead pixel on 5s

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Happy to announce that I was able to get my hands on a space gray 5s today by trading on Craigslist. I noticed that there is a dead pixel on the screen and have an appt with the Genius Bar tomorrow. Anyone know if they'll replace the screen or the entire device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I know I had the same issue with my iphone 4 and they replaced the entire device but wasn't sure if anything had changed.

anon8383645

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Yea I know screen on the 4/S was a beast to change out. On 5S they can swap out a lot more volume buttons, vibrate motor, speaker etc. I actually prefer a part swap rather than the whole device. Especially when everything is perfect but that one thing.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It might just be the screen that they replace. Depends on how they're feeling will determine that (sometimes the genius' go by their own rules).

I had a problem with the SIM card slot on a iPhone 5 that I got on Craigslist. They looked at the phone and could've replaced the part but they gave me a new phone instead.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yea I know screen on the 4/S was a beast to change out. On 5S they can swap out a lot more volume buttons, vibrate motor, speaker etc. I actually prefer a part swap rather than the whole device. Especially when everything is perfect but that one thing.

In reality, I don't really care what they do. I was just asking out of curiosity. In preparation, I've backed up and wiped the device to remove sensitive information. I'll report back tomorrow to tell you all what they ended up doing.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So I had my appt with the genius today and he replaced my 5s without hesitation. He made sure it was indeed a dead pixel and got me a new device. He says that they aren't able to replace the screen on the 5s yet. So there you have it!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So I had my appt with the genius today and he replaced my 5s without hesitation. He made sure it was indeed a dead pixel and got me a new device. He says that they aren't able to replace the screen on the 5s yet. So there you have it!

Glad the problem got solved. Enjoy your new device!!!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Great to know ... So how is the replacement? Good as new?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a win-win!

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Not that the guy I who traded me is a scammer or anything, but you hear a lot of stories about Craigslist deals gone bad. If he were to stop paying on his account or report the phone stolen, I am guessing my phone will still work. At least I hope it would.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro